1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is being in dmoz.org very important?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Markas, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    deleted by anonymously

Anonymously, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  2. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I seriously doubt that there is much importance associated with being listed in their directory from a webmasters perspective; I think that the actual value is over rated.

A listing is not a requirement for good search engine rankings.
    A listing will not bring you a large increase in visitors.
    A listing will generally not provide you with the anchor text you really want.

How much importance would you place on a listing that won't give you any of the above? ;)

I also believe there's a reason why search engines came up with the "NOODP" tag to allow webmasters more control over the titles and snippet displayed in the search results.

CReed, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  3. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    God you can drone on and on and on and on and on....It is a good thing you quit, I am not sure I could have coped with your banal drivel at the ODP as well. And I mean this is in the nicest possible way (of course).

Just to be clear: An editor who uses the ODP for SEO of sites, or shows other favoritism, or suggests that using their SEO services will result in a favorable or expedited listing will be removed.

nebuchadrezzar, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why is it you speak the other half of my truths? If you wanted to clear up what I said why not go all the way and provide a link.

Though thank you for not denying that there are paid links ;)

Qryztufre, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  5. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok fair cop guv. There is no guideline specifically saying that SEOs may not charge their clients for inclusion. There is also no guideline saying that an editor may not post a picture of their buttocks in the internal forum, nor that they should not break into AOL headquarters and destroy the server with an axe, nor are they prohibited from hacking the interface and turning all of pages pink with purple text.

However all of the above activities would likely lead to the removal of an editor, based on the guidelines and a good serving of commonsense, which I might add would benefit some of your posts.

nebuchadrezzar, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I would once again like to point out that several editors have posted in this thread yet none of them have given importance to the link...though many of them do find it important to reply to me giving it some importance. Therefor I must be wrong in the matter of there being importance in the link. From here on out I will so kindly point to this thread in the future when asked the question and will point out that while some may think there is something of worth, those people are seemingly NOT editors.

Did you even read the second quote I gave? If you did, mind pointing to the part of the guidelines that says posting images of your buttocks is OK so long as it's mutually benificial to the directory and the editor?

I have quoted directly from the guidelines that state seemingly as clear as can be, that it IS OK to get paid for SEO work while listing sites within the ODP.

Should I turn the text purple so you can read it better?

7. Overclock099

Overclock099 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have submitted my blog to dmoz two day ago.. Can i know when editor will review my site ? What average problem site got rejected from dmoz ? Can i know if dp have dmoz blog editor..Who ??

Overclock099, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  8. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    I feel asleep halfway through this paragraph, all I really caught was the bit that you might be wrong, and I agree.
    This is where some commonsense would help you understand this. You hear the words "mutually beneficial" and you automatically leap to the conclusion that that means payment. This is not surprising from someone who will whack any old link on his posts for a few cents per day, but we have had already had that discussion.

nebuchadrezzar, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    So, what you are saying is that there is no importance to DMOZ. That is what I actually thought. I'm sorry that I posted the reply in this thread that said there was some value.

OK, then how many professionals do you know that don't actually get paid? I know in the SEO industry there are thousands upon thousands, and that the guidelines of the ODP were talking about those :rolleyes:

Great job on backing up your side of the story ;)

10. deltrumweb

deltrumweb Banned

Best Answers:
    Despite numerous attempts, none of my sites have been listed in dmoz...I do not think it is update often enough....I have tried to submit ten's of sites but nothing...

And yet, I have managed to get good traffic every time so I do not think being listed on dmoz is that important nowadays.

There was a time when slurp used dmoz religiously however, that is not the case today as it spiders site itself and so does Google which has resulted in dmoz merely becoming another reference site/directory for spiders to crawl :)

deltrumweb, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  11. Overclock099

Overclock099 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That some thing weird i know about dmoz.. Some people using paid service to get listed on dmoz take a few time.. How :confused:

Overclock099, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  12. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Just to mention that if anyone pays for a link in the directory, the site is excluded for ever and the editor is booted off.

Don't even try it, that carries the same penalty for the site.

Anonymously, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    As an editor, would you mind saying that the ODP is at least even a little bit important?

In all cases? Then why on earth would they put such misleading things within the guidelines? That is a danger to both the Editor and the Submitter as being something that they could read and feel that such things are OK.

I wonder how many times sites and/or editors have been removed for following the guidelines...

Qryztufre, Nov 25, 2007 IP
  14. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    The tunes a bit old now, Q. well unless you want me to pump up my violin and tell them that's from someone who did a couple of edits on their own site, spat their dummy out of the pram and left ODP as an editor. But with nothing new to say he burbles on about the same wrong old things.

Believe me don't try buying your way into ODP, you will regret it.

Anonymously, Nov 25, 2007 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

In this case how can I be wrong, I gave an actual quote and a link to the guidelines backing up what I said. Where is your evidence that I am wrong.

Why would the guidelines say that it's OK but it somehow being wrong? If I am wrong, what does that make the guideline I am linking too?

If I am wrong, than the only thing that's "old" is the rules of the ODP...that I'm just pointing too in hopes that it gets updated ;) Though strangely, I've had two editalls say that it's fine to sell links...so maybe the way you are reading it is wrong? So where in the guidelines does it say that a paid listing is against the rules? I've shown where it's OK... now show that I'm wrong with something other then a post here on Digital Point.

16. 114211

114211 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alot of people say it doesn't matter anymore, most people agree it isn't as strong as it used to be, I believe it's still awesome and one of the best things you can do for your site.

114211, Nov 25, 2007 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Are you an editor by chance? If not, then how does it make you feel that four editors have posted in this thread thus far and two of them have outwardly said there is no importance, and the other two have simply not bothered to answer the question at all.

Does it bother you that the only folks here seemingly giving the directory any value at all are submitters and a few ex-editors?

18. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The title of this thread is Is being in dmoz.org very important?.

I've declined to answer that question because I have absolutely no idea. I'm quite sure that the many folks here who focus on website promotion can make sensible contributions but I can't. I think it's a good idea not to voice opinions on matters where I have no knowledge. Don't you?

You seem to be steering this thread into an entirely different question which seems to be Does DMOZ have any value?. That's off topic for this thread, but AOL seems to think so and so do I :D.

jimnoble, Nov 25, 2007 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Most things that I find important have value on some level, and I'm not just talking a price tag. Though, if you feel that there is value on some level, would you not agree that there was some importance?

Saying that it's an important collection of hand picked sites, or even a valuable resource?

Thus far in this thread, I have said it was important on some level, followed by you pointing to me saying "forget to submit" and then followed by by another editor saying that it had no importance on several levels.

If you have no knowledge of whether or not there is importance to the directory, should you really hold the title of Meta? I mean, with that rank, you should be able to come up with at least something worthy of note to mention... right? I mean, I only got around 30 edits and I found something of importance within it (as seen in my first post here).

20. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It would be really nice if you could first read what you're replying to instead of treating any post as a trigger to talk about something else. Unless you do that, structured dialogue, the whole point of a forum thread, becomes impossible.

jimnoble, Nov 25, 2007 IP