1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Control Panel - Addon Domains effect SEO ?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by William Martin, Dec 1, 2005.

Can some advise on this.

My hosting provider uses Control Panel. I have multiple websites acting as "microsites" working on particular keyword areas etc. If I open the one hosting account and use "Addon Domains" to hosting multiple domains. Will this have a negative impact on my SEO work.

The reason I ask is that I read somewhere on here that hosting multiple websites on the same domain could be considered domain spamming.

From a strictly SEO point of view - does it make a difference if I use the "addon domain" feature or use independant hosting accounts for each site.

I've already had the discussion on "just use the one site and optimize it properly" and I don't want to make the post too long by going over my reasons for doing this. :p

William Martin, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I assume that by "Addon Domain" you mean "subdomain"? If so, it will not necessarily have a negative SEO effect. Not at all.

There are several legitimate resons for using subdomains. See this excellent article:

Folders vs. Subdomains
    By Catherine Parker, Quirk Marketing
    From Highrankings.com

minstrel, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  3. William Martin

William Martin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great article - thoroughly depressing read. lol :(

William Martin, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  4. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Good article indeed. Maybe I missed it but when it comes to add-on domains, one of the hosts I use allows add-on domains with its individual domain name etc. but when you look under the hood it is actually a sub-folder of the master-domain.

Anyone know what happens in that situation?

mcfox, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I would assume that would be no different than buying a second domain name and pointing it to a subfolder on the first domain. No negative consequences that I know of...

minstrel, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  6. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Ah ok, Cool. Just wondered. Never really thought about it till I read this post. :)

mcfox, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  7. ServiceUptime

ServiceUptime Peon

Best Answers:
    don't want to be a bearer of bad news but to put addon domains on the same host is no good. the reason it shouldn't be on the same host is because both sites will have the same shared IP and that's what google will check for...

as long as domains will have different IPs this would be cool but when all addon domains are linking to each other or all addons linking to one of main domain both will be considered as spam.

ServiceUptime, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  8. William Martin

William Martin Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is what I thought. Can anyone else confirm or deny and sure up the thinking please? :confused: I've developed this discussion herehttp://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=42239

William Martin, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Yes, they will be on the same IP but Google doesn't give a damn about that - most sites these days are hosted on shared servers and of course subdomains would be too.

Look at how Google has structured it's own site(s): google.com, gmail.google.com, etc., etc.

Look how many sites with subdomains rank really well in Google.

Stop worrying about shared IPs. It's a non-factor.

minstrel, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  10. ServiceUptime

ServiceUptime Peon

Best Answers:
    My fault, I lost the original link... if websites are on the same IP they will have no linking value to each other. Only outside links have values.

ServiceUptime, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That's simply not true.

minstrel, Dec 3, 2005 IP
    smindsrt likes this.
  12. ServiceUptime

ServiceUptime Peon

Best Answers:
    How do you know this is not true? Nobody knows about it for sure yet but many papers state devaluing links from the same IP block is gonna take place or will one day. Read this thread for yourself and also google for "links from the same IP range" to see what others know and think.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1269

one thing that is not cool I got negative attitude here for sharing my knowledge.

ServiceUptime, Dec 12, 2005 IP
    William Martin likes this.
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    You didn't get negative rep from me, but that isn't knowledge you're sharing.

Look, bizzarre, if I had a nickel for every false SEO or SE claim that has been repeated from one forum to the next and justifed on the basis that "I read it in this thread at forum.googlerumors.com", I would be a very rich man.

minstrel, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  14. ServiceUptime

ServiceUptime Peon

Best Answers:
    I posted the link where people who are not just rumoring but those who have great experience on this field talking devaluing links from the same IP block may really have place or may happen soon as they read all the patents carefully. Anyway, I got the point. Thanks. I will have my opinion with me next time.

ServiceUptime, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  15. NikkiBlue

NikkiBlue Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I spent an hour searching for an answer to this "add on domain" question, just to find the answer right here :)

This is a myth. Everyone is afraid of what Google will do in the future and no one really knows... Keep in mind that not all search engines are as sophisticated as google at looking at ip diversification. Even if links are devalued, they still help with traffic and increasing visitors to your pages.

NikkiBlue, Dec 31, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  16. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    As I understand it from my naif's perspective, add-on domains are different in C-Panel from subdomains - though they sure look the same in terms of directory structure. From what my company, Lunarpages, told me, my add-on is a completely separate site that simply shares server resources with my primary domain. This is going to be a huge problem, I know, because I am going to get so swamped with traffic over the next few months that I will have to acquire more bandwidth, and then, and then, I will retire to Montana and write for a living, and, and....

Sorry, lost in delusion. But this was a concern of mine originally as well. Based on the advice of more sagacious counsel on this board, I went the add-on route (which was free) v. opening another account.

Paul

northpointaiki, Jan 1, 2006 IP
  17. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's something new . Very similar to the theory that article distribution can lead to duplicate content penalty .
    So if my host offers sub domains and I put up a site on his "server" and later you come as well on the same "server" . Somehow find my site and link to it then Google will not consider that link . Is that what you want to state ???
    Regards
    jeet

JEET, Jan 1, 2006 IP
  18. Archie

Archie Peon

Best Answers:
    But what if i add a sub domain to my add on domain? For example my main domain www.maindomian.com
    and my add on domain www.addondomain.com. Both work well. www.maindomain.com is on the shared host public folder in the root while www.addondomain.com is in a folder in the public folder named addondomain.com. I guess this is how many people have it cofigured. But then I add a subdomain to www.maindomain.com and I end up with something like www.subdomain.addondomain.com the automatically created folder for his subdomain appears in the public folder as a folder named subdomain insted of inside the addondomain folder ? why typing www.subdomain.addondomain.com displays www.maindomain.com/subdomain instead of www.subdomain.addondomain.com is it because of propagation ? Or is just limitations on shared hosting? I'm am doing this because i am trying to start a music production forum with a blog or cms to make the site more fun. How is SEO affected in this case?

Archie, Jun 17, 2008 IP
  19. Larke

Larke Peon

Best Answers:
    I am very interested to know more opinions on this. I have a 5 c-class hosting package that limits me to 5 domains and unlimited addon domains.

An addon domain is completely different than a subdomain. A subdomain is part of the main domain. So anything.domain.com is a subdomain.

Whereas an addon domain is physically located in a sub *folder* of the domain.com, but is NOT a subdomain of it. 123.com could be an addon domain of domain.com. But 123.com cannot be a subdomain of domain.com because it is its own domain.

Hope that explains better.

But how does this affect SEO? We know that there allegedly is penalization for many websites on the same IP. I'm thinking many as in hundreds here, perhaps not 5, not even 50, all on the same IP. But mass amounts would be obviously penalized. That only seems logical to me.

I'd like to hear more thoughts on this.

Larke, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    As far as I know, that is incorrect.

minstrel, Aug 28, 2008 IP