1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Answer me this...

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by pctec, Nov 22, 2007.

1. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    It's purpose isn't to just list every site available, but to build categories that would be useful to the web surfer by listing sites that have something different, unique content/information.

That's mainly what we look for, rather than at site design, or judging which sites are the best, which would be subjective and personal opinion.

Unique content varies from category to category, and does involve editor discretion, but it's more objective because unique content is going to be in black and white, and easily seen by any editor (not personal opinion which might vary from editor to editor).

There may be sites that are a little better than other sites might be, but a terrible site might have something unusual on it that we think might be helpful to the web surfer, so we list it for that reason.

It might be like having a variety of fruit laid out for your guest, some of it might not be as attractive, or your own personal favorite, but it's the variety of colors and flavors you have that's important, and the choices you're offering the guest.

crowbar, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  2. bdw

bdw The Booler

Best Answers:
    I think you are digging a hole for yourself here. I am an ODP editor and what we are looking for is original content. It has nothing to do with what you or I like.

Gloves off - is this what you call working hard?

Directory sites with no content of any real value are not orginal. There are literally millions of them out there. DMOZ is a free directory site with millions of entries. Why would they want to list another directory with dozens of empty categories that charges people for inclusion? What would be the point? Added value?

Fortunately Google has managed to eliminate many of these just like you did when you removed yours from your profile.

bdw, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  3. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I sure am glad you have all the answers... why do you even bother asking questions?

pctec, Nov 23, 2007 IP
    threebuckchuck likes this.
  4. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope, your post answers my question. Thank you for your reply, I was just wondering about the reasoning behind your conclusion in the opening post. ;)

compostannie, Nov 23, 2007 IP
    pctec likes this.
  5. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    Let's get real about this thread. Do you think this question has not been asked . . .

. . . and answered over a billion times in this forum.

What answer did you really expect to get? That you're right? :D

threebuckchuck, Nov 23, 2007 IP
    pctec and Anonymously like this.
  6. bdw

bdw The Booler

Best Answers:
    I didn't - you did!

bdw, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What?

Three questions right there...

Your post before that one ends in a question mark as well.

Do I need to scroll back even farther?

Qryztufre, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  8. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    bdw, as an ODP editor what you say does reflect on other editors even if you say it doesn't. That's just how the public perceives it, like it or not.

That said, why would you go off topic to post something so nasty? Who in the world is talking about directories with dozens of empty categories. As an editor you should know that although many sites are worthless, there are many others that have a lot of work put into them. The mere fact that someone posts at Digital Point doesn't automatically mean they can't have a website that they put a lot of work into. Even someone who has a worthless directory website with dozens of empty categories, could possibly have another site or three with some real value.

And thank you for your work on the directory. Sincerely. :)

compostannie, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  9. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I've thought about creating a little niche Directory of my own at different times. Seems like it would be a fun project and a good place for ODP editors to mine for sites. :)

Wouldn't have to be anything fancy, just a good collection of sites, pretty much what we do in the ODP Directory now.

crowbar, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  10. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    crowbar, you should go for it. It really is a lot of fun and you can make up your own guidelines and write nice long descriptions if you like.

Dave set one up for me to play with when ODP crashed and I've had a lot of fun with it. I've been working on it for about a year now. Like you, I don't know seo and it still works for me, so that's not a problem. I'd love to see what you come up with. :)

compostannie, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  11. zangief

zangief Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I liked the site :) , at least it is unique

zangief, Nov 24, 2007 IP
    Alucard likes this.