1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

US reports "phenominal" drop in Iraq Violence

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by d16man, Nov 22, 2007.

Just for your enjoyment, at least for some of you who hate extremism...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ca653412-97b4-11dc-9e08-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

d16man, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  2. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Always excellent news, lets hope it continues to go down.

GRIM, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  3. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    guerilla, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  4. d16man

d16man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    d16man, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  5. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There is no proof that it works. Basra saw a 90% decline in violence with the withdrawal of troops.

The good news here is that violence is down.

The bad news is, we're not really sure why.

guerilla, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  6. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    US Citizens report "phenomenal" drop in the value of their dollar and their quality of life!

guru-seo, Nov 22, 2007 IP
    eXe likes this.
  7. pizzaman

pizzaman Active Member

Best Answers:
    lets declare victory and come out
    we have achived everything we setout to do and it is the best time to accept victory and leave

pizzaman, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  8. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The similarity in results in Basra and the North are really astounding considering they have occurred after two totally different efforts and strategies; increased US military presence and increased patrols.

In the South, a radically reduced British presence.

In all honesty who the H knows what is going in Iraq, what works, why it works, and what will occur in the future.

Its pretty humbling.

earlpearl, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  9. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Pretty sad that no domestic news has reported the British withdrawal and it's effects.

It's typical of how most people are fed limited and selected information inside the domestic media bubble, and shape their opinions from that.

guerilla, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  10. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    People need to turn OFF the TV and turn ON their computers.

guru-seo, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  11. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    1) If that's the case, then how can you be sure this accurate?

2) Is there any source that confirms this?

I have to agree with the others. The surge has worked. It has, and continues to show real progress. It's a testament of the will of the Iraqi people. Not everyone is pleased with it, but it's getting harder and harder for them to try and turn it into bad news.

I remember once, when someone was pointing out how RP was winning 10-20 member straw polls. When pointed out how these were probably "arranged" and that small groups of 10-20 people were not very impressive, the forum member responded "we'll take a win any way we can get it."

People are starting to "wake up." Especially Iraqis. They know who has been causing the problems of the past and are condemning such:

http://www.reuters.com/article/poli...Type=RSS&feedName=politicsNews&rpc=22&sp=true
    Iran has American and Iraqi blood on their hands. Their leader is not someone deserving of praise and admiration.

GTech, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  12. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of the world can argue that about our stupid president and our country. We have plenty of blood in our hands as well! People in our government are no saints!

Robert Allen likes this.
  13. GTech

Best Answers:
    Moral equivalence and an assumption. We should blame America first.

Can I conclude you are not happy with the success? That would be something good for our country, if someone really cared about our country (other than presenting it to the world on forums in the worst possible light, day in and day out).

GTech, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  14. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    earlpearl, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  15. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    In this case I DO BLAME the AMERICAN GOVERNMENT first as it was the wrong thing to do to invade Iraq, we all know the lies and the reasons why we went there right??? We would not be in this mess if we would've done the RIGHT thing from the beginning. It's amazing how strong headed and miss guided you are Gtech, I'll put you on my ignore list as every post of yours pisses me off!!

16. pizzaman

pizzaman Active Member

Best Answers:
    this is my take on it
    half of the reduction is probably because sadr has stopped his militia.the question is how permanent this cease fire going to be ? he said about 6 months when he announced it
    then there are the sunni tribes and old sadaam army. these people have come to an agreement with US forces to change alliance and help US to fight alqada. this was proposed by them over a year ago and was rejected.
    the big question is, are these factions doing these in preparation for US exit? and what will they l do when it become obvious that US troops are not planing to leave ?

pizzaman, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  17. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Earl.

Please see above from Earl.

I wonder if the 4 million Iraqi refugees got to sign this petition. We know the 1 million dead did not.

You're right on one thing for sure. We achieved our objectives, and the British have proven that we can start coming home without causing massive upheaval. And even if we do, that's going to be a consequence of our coming home now or later. We have to start thinking about re-uniting the young men and women of this country with their parents, spouses and children. They have done their job with honor, now it is time to come home and be treated like heroes, before the tide of public sentiment brands them the way Vietnam vets were.

The reality is that this military adventurism is bankrupting this country. The Chinese have to fund it daily, basically making us a debtor nation to communists and compromising our sovereignty.

18. GeorgeTheSplurge

GeorgeTheSplurge Banned

Best Answers:
    Hey check it out, if I made a plastic screen, wore a tie, and got on it and told you I was not killing your kids to make you shut up would it work?

I think this is how they think.... The violence from wars has never gone 'down' we've been killing eachother for thousands of years... and if war led to the garden of eden like they keep promising us, we would have been there long ago....

This is a police world, and their last ghetto to close down and control is the middle east... then its on to asian

GeorgeTheSplurge, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  19. GTech

Best Answers:
    I would wonder too, if I were making up numbers to try and paint my country in a bad way. It appears some may be happier when there isn't success. rp supporters?

As Earl pointed out, it was not a withdrawl, as was suggested (not sure why someone would attempt to portray something not quite so honest), but rather a repositioning outside of the capital. They did not withdraw from the south, but rather repositioned.

That opinion doesn't negate the success in Iraq. Again, not everyone appreciates successes. I would imagine it would be especially difficult for those not accustomed to speaking of America in a positive light.

GTech, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  20. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And what is your source to refute these #s?

Again, I'm interested in facts. Got some?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,,-7082824,00.html