1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Allegations of DMOZ Corruption

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Nitin M, Dec 30, 2005.

I'm doing some research into allegations of corruption, misconduct, or incompetence by DMOZ editors.

If anyone has detailed information on the subject they would like to share, please PM me.

I also have some questions regarding the internal workings of DMOZ. If you are an editor and willing to share your insights, please send me a PM. I'm not looking for any confidential information, just an insider's opinion on a handful of questions that can be either on the record or anonymous.

Thanks in advance.
    Nitin

Nitin M, Dec 30, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  2. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    See also http://resource-zone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41926

Remember that an editor who would give you information about the internal workings most probably will be removed.
    See http://dmoz.org/guidelines/communication.html

pagode, Dec 30, 2005 IP
    lmocr likes this.
  3. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Wow... I'll have to dig in my inbox to find the info about my case... got 2 sites deleted by an editor that had nothing to do with my category. He also deleted a few sites of some people I know, and one of them got back in after "negotiating" with him.

fryman, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  4. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If the editor didn't have the permissions to edit in the category, s/he couldn't have edited there.

jimnoble, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Let's see... we have a question about DMOZ editors and plicies.

One DMOZ editor replies that non-editors are not permitted to have any information about DMOZ and suggests the poster visit a thread at the resourceless Zone where he has already posted and received no useful answers... the other posts a one-liner stating the obvious.

Wonderful. :rolleyes:

minstrel, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  6. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    Just trying to be helpful with some publicly available (qand bleedin obvious) information of which fryman seems to have been blissfully unaware :) .

7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    You find it "helpful" to focus your attention on that assumption and ignore this?

8. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I have no idea of how your little game is played... all that I know is that I was so pissed off when this happened that I spend several hours using all my contacts to find out who had done this. It was an editor out of the category. couldn't care less if it was a meta or a mega or whatever ridiculous ranks you give your people over there.

And not only was this other site included after a negotiation, he also got a star rating... how about that?

fryman, Dec 30, 2005 IP
    Las Vegas Homes likes this.
  9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    MONEY TALKS, BS WALKS. :D

gworld, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  10. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    I am not asking anyone to violate terms of their membership. I have asked on the resource-zone site and been informed by the metas there that these guidelines you have referenced are the only guidelines given to editors.

The published guidelines in no way indicate that editors should censor their thoughts on the internal workings of ODP and this is the information I am looking for. But, due to how sensitive many ODP members seem to be regarding the information I am seeking, I can understand and am honoring any editor's anonymity request.

Nitin M, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  11. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    Like you, I focus my attention where I wish - In my case usually in the realm of fact rather than evidence and detail free claims. I thought you'd have realised that by now :).

12. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ and DMOZ editors claims of honesty = evidence and detail free claims.

;)

gworld, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  13. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    That is correct.
    See http://editors.dmoz.org/socialcontract.html

pagode, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  14. wheel

wheel Peon

Best Answers:
    I've had a site that was listed in DMOZ for years get removed for no other reason than the whois info changed. Nothing else about the site changed.

If you want some more info, try www.corruptdmozeditor.com.

I've every suspicion that editors in my niche are as corrupt as they come, just by looking at their listings (and examples like I state above). Can you actually prove it? Very unlikely, and the dmoz editors will squeal like stuck pigs over it, but if it walks like a duck.....

Conversely, I dealt with an editor where someone was pulling some crap to get a double listing in the same category. The editor had little or no clue about what was going on, but after some discussion relented and pulled my competitor's second listing. that's an example of someone who's editing because they're interested in the area and have no designs on using the category for SEO.

wheel, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Yes, I think I've pretty much got your number by now, jimnoble. Let's just say I don't number you among the editors that I have any respect for and leave it at that... RZ and bafflegab all the way. :rolleyes:

As for pagode, I'm still trying to figure out if he's knowingly disingenuous or just plain thick...

16. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    There was a site that was listed in DMOZ www.vegas4sale.net in http://dmoz.org/Regional/North_Amer...s_and_Economy/Real_Estate/Residential/Agents/ this person is a friend of mine who was an editall at DMOZ at one time ( Not When His Site Was Submitted Or Listed ) until he was in a car wreck and broke his neck. After being listed for only a couple of days he came to my defense on RZ pertaining to a submission for my real estate site, which he submitted because I figured who would know the guidelines better than an ex editall.

After I was told that the site did not meet the guidelines by Hutchson my friend came to my defense on RZ, shortly after that his site was removed from DMOZ..now why was that?

Las Vegas Homes, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I'd really like to know the answer to this. I see CBP reading this thread... any comments?

18. Birdie

Birdie Peon

Best Answers:
    Any editor can go and check the editing notes...shame about the facts getting in the way of a good story. What you are alleging is not the reason the site was removed. Its was puely a miscatorgization issue of agent vs agency and a change in the name of the agent occured, so it was ureviewed. There was no corrpution and no conspiracy.

Birdie, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I see :eek: Now, since the rest of us can't check editor note, would you mind telling us what the hell that means?

20. SEO-MAN

SEO-MAN Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ = Lack of control do to the fact no one is in control and there is no one over seeing what the left hand is doing from the right.

SEO-MAN, Dec 30, 2005 IP