1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain Question/ Suggestions

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by kewlchat, Nov 22, 2007.

Ok i won a free domain in a contest and im wondering if its ok from a SEO standpoint to use like i in front of the domain name..

Example superkeyword.com is taken
    Would isuperkeyword.com be good ?
    Im trying to get good listings for Super Key Word (just an example)

Will the i in front hurt me? :)

kewlchat, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  2. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Not really, it would just look tacky and pointless. Rather than obsessing over the keywords for the domain name, why don't you figure out what kind of site you want to make and then brand the site with the domain name? (Like building an online Web design magazine/resource site that is dedicated to using the least amount of code, calling it "Minimal Markup" and then registering the domain name minimalmarkup.com for instance. - by the way, that domain name is already taken, and is being developed into such a resource; by me.)

Dan Schulz, Nov 22, 2007 IP
    kewlchat likes this.
  3. kewlchat

kewlchat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good advice.. Its so hard to come up with a good idea.. ive been searching for almost 24 hours stright trying to come up with the perfect idea for a new site and perfect name.
    I need something thats going to be searched for alot..

Mabye it would be better to pick something that if i wanted to change the type of site it is later i could.. like say its about pumpkin pie eg. and i named it pumpkinpie.com but later on pumpkins was found to cause cancer lol But if my site was named PieMaster.com eg. Then i could change it later on to be about apple pies.. (all examples of course)

But honestly if i did ipumpkinpie.com eg. and got on top for the word pumpkin pies then it would be worth it tacky or not if got more hits.. lol

How much do keywords in domains actually help anyway?

Mabye il try a midway compromise and just use 1 keyword and 1 brandable word that way it doesnt need an i in front of it.. And also i can get at least some serpy benifit from the domain name..

kewlchat, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  4. boron

boron Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There were a ranking factors interview made on Seomoz blog, where 20 SEOs share their views...and...keyword in a domain is not mentioned in the list of top 10 ranking factors.

It is also kind a hard to find this out by experiment. For "pie", last two sites on first Google page have pie in the title, but not in the domain, quite the same with "pumpkin", with pumpkin beeing often only a part of a domain or even a part of a sub-directory name.

boron, Nov 23, 2007 IP
    kewlchat likes this.
  5. kewlchat

kewlchat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm interesting.. The more i think about it and search it seems keywords in directory names and file names hold almost = weight to having keywords in the domain names, its a smale factor i think.. Im going to pick a domain name thats cool and relevent to my subject thats what i always did before and it worked good.. But this time i think il pick one that can be generaly for anything then use directory names and file names to target alot of different things instead of concentrating on just a few key words..

Ok now all i have to do is figure out what kinda site i wana make .. And still a name.. Ive already got several cool chat sites so im going to do something different this time.. ill sleep on it and decide later..

Thanks for your input guys.. reps added. :)

kewlchat, Nov 23, 2007 IP