1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sending an $8000 wire transfer

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by areebb, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Num Lock

Num Lock Active Member

Best Answers:
    Use paypal then when he sends you the product say you never got it. ;)

Num Lock, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  2. MOG

MOG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Areebb,

just to quantify my statements here, I was a medical trader exporting to the USA for 9 years before I "retired" and now do this part time for a living.

GONKA has said it best above with this quote:

Use escrow, ask for a credit check on the company, call BBB on the company.

Ask for reference.

There are many ways to check on a company's record or credibility. If you are not too far, visit the company in person.

Basically if you do all three above then I am sure there will be no problem at all.

In nearly 10 years in the business with over 60 US based customers I never got stung, and we just stuck to references and the odd D&B check (dunn and bradstreet).

The whole LoC thing is serious overkill to be honest, a LoC for $8k is just not worth the rigmarole to be honest. We only ever used letters of credit if the deal was in the high 6 figures or one million plus area, and even then it was only very infrequent and only if there was a serious trust issue.

If you can reach them on the phone and it sounds like an office, and it seems genuine then it is probably ok, but for your PEACE OF MIND, I recommend using escrow.com

If you want any further help or recommendations let me know by PM and I will help all I can.

good luck,

MOG

ps. the whole "theres no recourse when using a wire transfer" thing is also wrong, theres plenty of recourse as long as you have an invoice from a legitimate company, pay the invoice and the goods are not delivered.

PPS. +rep to Gonka for the best advice in this thread IMO :D

MOG, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  3. taylorwilsdon

taylorwilsdon Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a bogus deal. That address is not real (obviously) and the guy is out to make a quick buck.

taylorwilsdon, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  4. Valley

Valley Peon

Best Answers:
    Why don'y you post another thread as a poll?
    You buy or not to buy? That is the question.

Valley, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  5. Vic_mackey

Vic_mackey Banned

Best Answers:
    His reply is badly written, its got scam written all over it if he doesnt even have an address listed. You mention his site looks legit. Go to the buy/sell forum here in DP and you'll get a great, legit looking site for $200. Pocket change compared to what he's about to scam. The deal clearly stinks. I would tell him you will use escrow and pay the fees. At this point, dont expect to hear from him again.

Vic_mackey, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  6. MrBrian

MrBrian Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's a very obvious scam just based on his reply, i hope you don't actually do it :eek:

MrBrian, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  7. Couponclipper

Couponclipper Peon

Best Answers:
    it sounds like a scam You should look up 419 scammers and see samples of scams especialy involing wire transfer

Couponclipper, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  8. seo4china

seo4china Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do some background check on the company. You need to go beyond a simple look at WHOIS...

seo4china, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  9. Couponclipper

Couponclipper Peon

Best Answers:
    All Who Things He Should Not Buy Say Aye!!!!!

Couponclipper, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  10. XplodXFto

XplodXFto Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey just use Western Union Money Transfer that is more safe and easy so your friend will get the money and you will be protected by Low...

XplodXFto, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  11. viratshah

viratshah Peon

Best Answers:
    well, escrow.com would be pretty good since there is 0% risk involved

viratshah, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  12. areebb

areebb Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow guys I'm really surprised at the interest in this topic!

Anyways, he agreed to use Paypal.com. He's a verified member. I believe Paypal will protect me right?

I know the WHOIS record looks bogus, but many times I personally put bogus information on WHOIS just to avoid spam and junk mail. So I won't slash him just for that. It seems like a one man show he's running, but hey what do I care long as I get the machine for a good price ($8000 is a pretty good price).

I'm about to pay him, unless someone can convince me otherwise real fast.

areebb, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  13. Valley

Valley Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a magic hamster for sale for $7000 dollars buy that instread! If you get scammed after all this you deserve to loose it!

Valley, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  14. areebb

areebb Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok correct me if I'm wrong but I believe PayPal protects your transactions. That's what I've heard from a lotta people. So how can I get scammed?

Oh and the guy has provided me with a Canadian doctor as a reference, who bought a $30,000 system off him. I've looked up the doctor and he's registered for the winnipeg foot clinic. I'm yet to call him, but I doubt he'd provide a reference if the guy wouldn't root for him.

And I'm keeping MOG's suggestions in mind when I decided not to go the L/C route if he wasn't up for the idea.

Do I NEED to go the escrow.com route to be completely safe, if neither of us have an account with that website, or is Paypal sufficiently safe?

I have a feeling my inhibitions of this being a scam are wrong, but I'm still open to other suggestions.

areebb, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  15. gdibusiness

gdibusiness Banned

Best Answers:
    Try to check 1st if his PayPal is Old or new account. Alot of new PayPal accounts are just verified using VCC. Still be careful. If his account is atleast 3months old then maybe his not using VCC to verify his VCC. and ti make sure use credit card when Paying. Just incase you can charge back. ;)

gdibusiness, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  16. areebb

areebb Peon

Best Answers:
    How do I verify how old his PayPal account is? And aren't you more secure if you use your bank account instead of a credit card with Paypal? I believe they say that you have more protection with a bank account.

areebb, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  17. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Its a lot lot of money. Don't do it in haste. Take your time to consider this carefully before doing anything.

qwestcommunications, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  18. Cyberpaul

Cyberpaul Peon

Best Answers:
    OMG???! Neal Fazal?? --- This guy is long dead.

Cyberpaul, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  19. Vic_mackey

Vic_mackey Banned

Best Answers:
    Paypal arent going to cover you. You need to do a credit card payment via paypal. If you don't recieve it, then your bank will cover you.

Vic_mackey, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  20. MrBrian

MrBrian Active Member

Best Answers:
    PayPal is only able to cover you when the money is in the other persons account, and if this person is indeed about to scam you they put the money straight to their bank account where PayPal can't touch it. Bank will cover you if you do a credit card payment via paypal like Vic said. Buyers can get screwed if they don't watch who they send their money to.

MrBrian, Nov 24, 2007 IP