1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How does wikipedia stay so high in the rankings for certain keywords when...

Discussion in 'SEO' started by hulo, Dec 29, 2005.

How does wikipedia stay so high in the rankings for certain keywords when their articles are being reproduced hundreds of thousands of times across different websites via feeds, etc? Shouldn't they be getting nailed for dupe content?

hulo, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  2. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    If anyone would get nailed it would be the people scraping the content. Google, etc. try to determine who was first and give them full credit.

mdvaldosta, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  3. Nathan Malone

Nathan Malone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, and apart from that, almost all of the mirrors out there have a link back to Wikipedia so that helps keep them high.

Nathan Malone, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  4. prowess

prowess Guest

Best Answers:
    It seems that there is a manual filter allowing Wikipedia to rank well for its pages. Try typing in a keyword ad adding "info" This will normally get Wikipedia results.

prowess, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  5. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    Makes me wonder if google is eyeing a wikipedia takeover/purchase/aquisition - not sure how that works with it being a non-profit, but if google has the will, they'll find a way. It would be a good fit with google.

Christopher, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  6. topicalone

topicalone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    With close to 185,000,000 pages indexed in G, it all boils down to internal links contributing to high ranking of certain keywords. Also, do not forget that most topic pages in wikipedia are cited as authentic reference documents in numerous web sites, including research organizations, goverment institutions, centres of higher learning and the like. All this helps.

topicalone, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  7. Bliss

Bliss Peon

Best Answers:
    Google has already donated server space and bandwidth for Wikipedia along with denying any "hostile" intention towards them.

Bliss, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  8. Spendlessly

Spendlessly Peon

Best Answers:
    It pisses me off that they rank so high for sooo many terms... especially things that they are nowhere near an authoritive resource on.

It also pisses me off that no matter who releases the original content - Wiki will copy it and outrank them.

The ONLY reason I haven't complained about wikipedia ever until this thread is the fact that the site doesn't appear to be monetarily targeted (yet)

They should not be allowed to be considered "authoritive" for every Key Word under the sun. The site is SEO'd like crazy, and it's really not fair for a general information site to outrank a site that is targeted towards a specific niche - and really is authoritive in that niche.

Basically, what Wikipedia is to me is: A collection of all of the keyword strings entered into search engines, with sub-par content attached. They have to be the second largest scraper site on the net (next to Google)...

PS... why in the hell do people add information to Wikipedia for free? What is the incentive?

Spendlessly, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  9. Sham

Sham Peon

Best Answers:
    I've noticed a donation link in wikipedia recently! Has that always been there?

They're on $163,000 at the moment!

Looks like their friendship with google is making them big bucks!

Sham, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  10. chrisranjana.com

chrisranjana.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes I am too of the view that google has some manual filtering in place for showing important websites irrespective of the number of back links they have or other lack of SEO techniques.

chrisranjana.com, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  11. KarloBlogero

KarloBlogero Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, aside from the backlinks that they receive from the people using the content from Wikipedia. There's also the tons of internal links between the pages of Wikipedia.

So does this mean Google is favoring WIkipedia? Interesting

KarloBlogero, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  12. duddits

duddits Guest

Best Answers:
    im pretty sure tht wiki is 90% manualy ranked

duddits, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  13. tankard

tankard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Who says it has to remain non-profit? :D If I was GG, I would purchase Wiki and put some neat ads in the right bar. To be honest, I don't see an ad-supported version of Wiki losing visitors while it doesn't charge for reading/participating.

I mean, I won't stop using DP only because there's this ugly pink ad at the top.

I think you might be right about GG sneaking for Wiki.

As to the topic, I think Wiki ranks high because it has an enormous ammount of backlinks, 73,000,000 to be precise. Imagine, where you would be if your site would have 73 millions of backlinks :D

tankard, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  14. jagannath_4all

jagannath_4all Peon

Best Answers:
    way to bump a thread that is more than 2 years old d'oh

_

jagannath_4all, Feb 29, 2008 IP