1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to integrate RSS feeds into a webpage?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by ientrepreneur, Nov 12, 2007.

How to integrate RSS feeds into a webpage? I know some people using java script to do it. I don't want third party websites to do it. I need something to be coded with in my webpage!!

ientrepreneur, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  2. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't want JavaScript to handle this. You're best off using a server-side programming language.

PM is on the way (what I'm giving is free to anyone who wants it).

Dan Schulz, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  3. sakto

sakto Active Member

Best Answers:
    Please provide me with that.

sakto, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  4. kingerrormessage

kingerrormessage Guest

Best Answers:
    will integrating the feed into a page make the rss logo appear in the address bar, if so, can you let me know how this is done, thanks.

kingerrormessage, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  5. Vizuke

Vizuke Peon

Best Answers:
    if you're website is ran off database, than process an XML file with stored data.

Vizuke, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  6. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    If you include a link to the RSS feed in your HEAD section using the link element (<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS 2.0" href="http://www.yoursite.com/feed.rss" /> for example) then the browser will automatically pick up the feed and display the icon in the address bar. Note that to the best of my knowledge, IE 6 does not support this (though I could be wrong).

Dan Schulz, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  7. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Which is a waste of time since the data to be parsed into HTML can simply be extracted from the database and converted to plain text and HTML anyway. The original poster was looking for a way to parse external feeds from other sites onto his using a language to convert it to HTML (I gave him a link to a PHP parser for RSS that a friend of mine wrote).

Dan Schulz, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  8. Vizuke

Vizuke Peon

Best Answers:
    Thus defeating the purpose of XML and RSS feeds.

Vizuke, Nov 20, 2007 IP
  9. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, no it doesn't defeat the purpose of XML and RSS feeds. XML is used (or should be) to exchange meta-data between applications. RSS is used to syndicate Web page content from a Web site to a feed aggregator so people can keep up with their favorite Web sites in one place without having to go from site to site to site each and every single day.

I use My Yahoo! for my feeds and I can tell you right off the bat that it's saved me from having to check each and every single site I keep tabs on constantly (and by constantly I mean every hour or so), thereby improving my own productivity. By using the feedreader to aggregate and update my feeds for me, all I have to do is check for a few seconds every hour or so to see if a site's feed has been updated or not, rather than having to waste minutes going to each and every single site.

Toss in the fact that I use dialup and the time savings becomes even more apparent (especially when you consider that I'm monitoring dozens of sites at once).

Dan Schulz, Nov 20, 2007 IP
  10. Vizuke

Vizuke Peon

Best Answers:
    Reread what you said up top.

Where do the sources from XML and RSS feeds comes from? How do we create an XML or RSS feed? Obviously we would need a source, and it's either generated from a database, or altered each time content is changed. What you said before was that it was a waste of time to create XML and RSS feeds because you can just output it to plain text or HTML, thus leaving eliminating the need to create XML/RSS feeds therefore totally making them worthless. Now, you're saying that XML/RSS increases your productivity.

I think there is a misunderstanding in which I thought he wanted to create an RSS feed for a webpage, and not implement a feed from an external site into his own content.

Vizuke, Dec 1, 2007 IP
  11. primeryder

primeryder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can you send me a copy of that also? Thanks!

primeryder, Dec 1, 2007 IP
  12. dannet

dannet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are you talking about generate RSS feeds with your website content or to integrate external rss feeds in your website?

If you are talking about the second, there is a very functional open source feed parser for php called SimplePie, with some plugins and features as cache option...

If you are talking about generate RSS from your content sorry for the off-topic :D

dannet, Dec 1, 2007 IP