1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dictionary/Glossary script.

Discussion in 'Scripts' started by Old Welsh Guy, Aug 23, 2005.

I have to add a glossary or dictionary script to my rugby forum but do not know where to start. Is there a script somewhere that will allow me to build a dictionary of rugby terms? I don't want a script that is pre loaded with millions of stuff, just a simple a-z script where I can create a page per term. I am wondering if a CMS would do it? Although this option is sure to be somewhat clunky.

Any help here is mightily appreciated.

OWG

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 23, 2005 IP
  2. Abilnet

Abilnet Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, you seem to have a PHPBB forum... and you want to get some additional features on it. Well.. the first place to start with, is - naturally - the provider of your ForumScript. I took a look there, but did not find anything specific for you. However, there's a lot of different possibilities to integrate forums with other scripts, but please provide us with some additional information that we're able to help you out :)

How do you actually want to integrate the scripts?

Abilnet, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  3. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    I have looked around for one too.. I need to set up a fairly extensive glossary for a project I am working on.. I tried out a few different products, and don't think I was happy with any of them. Most of the ones I tried were dictionary scripts from the script sites.

If you just want to link to one then, look at some of the dictionary scripts on hotscripts and other places like that.

If you find anything else let me know, because I want something a bit simpler and cleaner, and really just a glossary and not a full dictionary.

If you don't have any luck let me know and I can dig through my notes and see if I can find a few of the specific ones I tried. I know I was working with one of them for a bit, but it has been a while and that project is currently on the back burner.

aeiouy, Aug 25, 2005 IP
  4. Abilnet

Abilnet Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe you want to take a look at Drupal. In addition of a powerful glossary-module, there are a lot of optional possibilities in case you some day need.

Some information about Drupal glossary module:
    http://drupal.org/project/glossary

Also, you maybe want to take a look at a FAQ-script I've used for some projects:
    http://www.phpmyfaq.de/
    PhpMyFAQ is a free script just like Drupal

Specially I like the feature in phpMyFAQ, that a visitors can ask questions online... then even other visitors can answer them... and finally, the admin has the power to edit and publish the answers. Very useful in some situations.

However, if you're thinking to implement more and more features to your site - the go directly with Drupal and you don't have to change your platform all the time.

Hope this helps ;)

Abilnet, Aug 25, 2005 IP
  5. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Abilnet, thanks a lot for that. great pointer.

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 25, 2005 IP
  6. pmeth

pmeth Peon

Best Answers:
    Try this one. It is very simple and easy to use, and has a nice feature where you can search for a term and get results with search terms hi-lited:

http://hotscripts.com/Detailed/57506.html

You will need PHP and MySQL support to use it.

pmeth, Mar 6, 2006 IP
  7. Cvst

Cvst Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Please forgive my swooping in here, this seems like it could be helpful in this thread.

If you're ok with Perl, I maintain a glossary script as a bench-time project. It is not quite free ($23), but it is immediately down-loadable after a trip to PayPal. The cost mainly just helps to defray the cost of time I spend helping people with it (well, not really even close :) ). Your purchase includes access to the download page for some months to download upgrades.

I use it for the glossary on my site. It uses my own flavor of UBB styled formatting codes, which allows images, formating, and tables, as well as links to outside resources and other glossary entries within definitions. It includes term or full-text search. It uses templates so you can exactly match your site. It can run in frames or non-frame pages (you can have multiple presentations over the same database in fact, to improve access). It doesn't need SQL. It allows CSV imports and exports so you can retrieve your glossary and view/edit it in Excel and other desktop applications. It tracks the words that were searched and not found. It will even chain to alternate dictionaries when a term isn't found (if you choose).

As mentioned, it is a bench-time project, but if you need a glossary, it is pretty good. I always try to fix any bugs reported in the next release, and it is fairly clean. It is only for western languages, but it supports 8859-1 (Latin-1) alphabets by mapping letters with diacritical marks into the 27 letters for sorting purposes.

Here's the info page (Links on the left lead to more information):
    http://www.creativyst.com/Prod/Glossary/

-Cvst

Cvst, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  8. jlryan

jlryan Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the heads-up on the http://www.phpmyfaq.de/ script. I'm excited to have my programmers install it on my site within a few days. I'll let you know our progress. Keep up the good advice!

jlryan, Nov 19, 2007 IP
  9. Deep 888

Deep 888 Peon

Best Answers:
    Deep 888, Feb 17, 2010 IP