1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anti virus

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ramakrishna p, Dec 26, 2005.

1. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Norton sucks End of. :)

DarrenC, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  2. Crazy_Zap

Crazy_Zap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The main problem with firewalls (software, not hardware) is that most people do NOT have them configured correctly. You can run multiple different software firewalls on your PC if they are configured properly, but that is not the case with most (overwhelming majority) PC that use even one software firewall. A lot of tech support calls can be attributed to an incorrectly configured firewall so it is often the first question asked. So, while it's possible to run more than one, it is definitely problematic for most users.

Crazy_Zap, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  3. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks hrbl. Good to know. :)

Never had a problem with it. I love it. :D Love it like I love Google. hehe

Colleen, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  4. Crazy_Zap

Best Answers:
    You should be fine with those. But, my own personal preference is to ditch the Norton. It works for a great many people, but IMHO, lets too many viruses through. I haven't used AVG myself, but I have used it on clients' systems without problems or complaints. And you can't beat the price. :)

5. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I've been running norton for years, I've tried many, many others and norton by far is still my overwhelming favorite. I think I've had one instance of 1 'supposed' virus getting through when Norton was installed and configured correctly.

Guess it's like any software, one may have a problem with it while others wont have any problems at all.

GRIM, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  6. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I've been using it for years - it's never let a vorus through on my system. The only time I've seen that happen is when people disable or otherwise incorrectly configure LiveUpdate, so the AV signatures are out of date -- or they let the subscription lapse and figure, what the hell, 1999 sigs are probably fine...

minstrel, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  7. Colleen

Best Answers:
    I had McAfee which was fine, it expired and shortly after I had a major system crash. I just got back up and running a few days ago and figured since I had the free trial of Norton that came with the laptop, I'd just use it again. It's good enough for me. Once I have to pay again, I will then decide. I like both.

Colleen, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  8. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    and those who get the free 90 day sample and never update or buy the full version...I have sene that happen on many computers I've worked on, but that is not nortons fault....it's the end users.

GRIM, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  9. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Lucky Google ;)

I don't have any anti virus or firewall... alot of it is common sense

DarrenC, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  10. Crazy_Zap

Best Answers:
    You're right. It's all personal preference. I am a "computer guy" by trade. So, I see a lot of stuff in my travels. My own personal experiences steer me away from Norton. And, I get a lot of clients that want something free. I have heard only good things about AVG, so I generally steer them in that direction. It's free and, from all acounts I've heard, pretty good. I also never liked the idea of paying a subscription fee to keep my antivirus updated. But, that comes from my experience with corporate products that usually don't require a subscription fee.
    Incidentally, I'm quite pleased to see that the really good anti-spyware programs are all free. AdAware, Spybot S&D and Microsoft Anti-Spyware are all doing a service to the community by providing free versions of their software and updating them for free. It's good to see. :)

11. Colleen

Best Answers:
    Common sense? Can't you be hacked without a firewall no matter how common your sense is...

Google isn't the only one I love btw.

Colleen, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  12. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There is a way around that, but wont discuss that here :D

I like norton simply because I get the pro version, like having most of my utilities in one package.

GRIM, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  13. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Of course you can, not having a anti virus proggie or fire wall is the exact opposite of commone sense....:p

GRIM, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  14. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you love Yahoo and MSN too?

I have Windows firewall - I think its turned on.

I don't like protection, it's so restrictive.

DarrenC, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  15. Crazy_Zap

Best Answers:
    True, but I have seen a few too many infections on NAV protected systems. Some of them let their subscription run out and some of them had up to date subscriptions. My feelings for NAV also date back to a couple of years ago when one of their updates caused systems to crash or freeze and rendered them useless. They (at first) blamed the problem on Microsoft Office and only after a couple of days, had to repent and release a newer update and apologize for the delay, etc. It was messy and some people had their computers push to the point of not working correctly enough to receive the corrected update, so they had to reinstall and were not happy about it.

It all comes down to personal experience.

DarrenC likes this.
  16. Colleen

Best Answers:
    No not really. ;)

You really should have something, are you stubborn and have to learn things the hard way?! :cool:

Depends on the protection. ;)

Colleen, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  17. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    So what else do you love - alta vista? :)

AVG rocks, but I have the crappy signature at the bottom of my nice HTML email signature.

DarrenC, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  18. Colleen

Best Answers:
    A woman has to have some secrets.

btw, I never saw that at the bottom of your emails when there's a signature.

Colleen, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  19. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Colleen, yes because I know I can trust you so I don't wear protection when communicating with you :) lol I uninstalled it recently..

DarrenC, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  20. Crazy_Zap

Best Answers:
    After reading this discussion, I would like to point out that hardware firewalls are better for protection, by far. They are generally more sophisticated than software that you install on your computer and will provide more than enough protection from the outside world. They all but eliminate the need for a software based firewall. A decent software firewall can still alert you when spyware or a virus attempts to access the internet from your computer, but the hardware firewall will take care of all the external hack attempts of your computer.

You can get a new hardware firewall (router) these days for less than $30 new. That $30 will provide a lot of peace of mind.