1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

becoming a DMOZ editor

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by nlopes, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I was considering in becoming a DMOZ editor. But, just a couple of questions:

1) How many time does it take so that you application is accepted?
    2) Do you need to re-submit your application?
    3) What is better: *) apply to a low-traffic category and then apply to more categories
    -or-
    *) apply just to the category you want?
    4) Is it easy to apply to more categories when you already have an account?
    5) Can you edit/add other's categories?

Thanks,
    Nuno

nlopes, May 17, 2004 IP
  2. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nlopes, I would say that becoming a DMOZ editor is a lottery. I have applied a few times, I applied to a cat in my own area with 50 sites, and no editor. I wrote the application twice myself and was refused. The thrid time a friend of mine who is a senior editor wrote the application, two other DOMZ editors checked it over and both said that they would have no problem approving the app. It was STILL refused.

I gave up, I decided that there must be some hidden agenda in the mind of SOME odp editors who are empire building, and not willing to 'let go' of their little piece of the web.

There are a clear set of notes and advice for application to become an editor. Read them, and stick to them. I hope you have more luck than I and many others like me have had. http://dmoz.org/cgi-bin/apply.cgi?where=/

All the best

OWG

Old Welsh Guy, May 17, 2004 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I got accepted after my 3rd or 4th application. But even then I didn't really understand what they were looking for, so I was denied my first 3 requests for an extra category. But I finally realized what they want, and have since been accepted for lots of additional categories.

Your best bet is definitely applying for a small category first and a category that is not mostly spam (SEO/marketing, adult, affiliate stuff, etc.)

- Shawn

digitalpoint, May 17, 2004 IP
  4. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Breathe deeply. Count to one thousand.

Practice that, you'll be doing it a lot.

That is almost completely random. :mad:

Yes, every time it is rejected, you must re-submit. Remember to save your application locally before you press <SUBMIT>.

It is definitely best to apply for a category NO ONE wants. It is best to apply for a category as far down the geographic hierarchy as possible.

Well, it is easier than doing so as an outsider!

Not until you become a senior editor.

For more information, visit http://dmoz.org/help/become.html

Will.Spencer, May 17, 2004 IP
  5. nlopes

nlopes Guest

Best Answers:
    Thank you all!
    Nuno

nlopes, May 17, 2004 IP
  6. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    It took me 4 tries to get my catagory. I don't think there is an 'empire building' they are just extremely selective. One spelling, grammer, or other error and "YOU'RE FIRED"

schlottke, May 17, 2004 IP
  7. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    I got in pretty fast actually. they're usually good about looking at applications, I never had to wait more than a few days.

if you pick a big, big category, it'll be hard to get in. start with something small to medium sized.

although it can be hard to get started with the small ones. I went from a small, to a greenbuster.

disgust, May 24, 2004 IP
  8. nlopes

nlopes Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm waiting for the answer at almost a month.
    DMOZ is so slow......

nlopes, May 25, 2004 IP
  9. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What is it that they want - that you have done - that has made you acceptable for the aditional categories?

Dominic, May 27, 2004 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Best thing I did was actually read the general editing guidelines and the category specific guidelines. Then I read them again.

digitalpoint, May 27, 2004 IP
  11. respree

respree Peon

Best Answers:
    If I may ask, I was wondering if some of you wouldn't mind sharing your motivation for becoming an editor. Does this take a lot of your time?

respree, May 27, 2004 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Something to do... {shrug} And yeah, it takes some time.

digitalpoint, May 27, 2004 IP
  13. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    It seems like you need to be an editor to get your site into DMOZ, nowadays. I know my site was approved the day after I became an editor (well, I approved it...hehe).

It takes a bit of time (2 hours?) to "clean up" your category, but after that it's pretty effortless. I've only had one submission in about 2 months since I finished the clean up stage.

ViciousSummer, May 28, 2004 IP
  14. Chatmaster

Chatmaster Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't want to sound soggy, but I enjoy doing it. Especialy because I am editing my competitor sites, I learn allot from their sites :D . Besides, someone had to jump in and help to get my sites listed! :cool:

Chatmaster, May 28, 2004 IP
    robjones likes this.
  15. paulhiles

paulhiles Guest

Best Answers:
    There are certainly plenty of rewards (outside of submitting your own sites). For one thing, you're able to review new and upcoming sites, it gives you a broader view of the current state of your category. The bottom line is, however lowly the category, you do feel as though you're making a difference.. however minute that contribution may actually be! :)

paulhiles, May 31, 2004 IP
    robjones and Alucard like this.
  16. moomooo

moomooo Guest

Best Answers:
    I was also going to apply to edit DMOZ.
    I'd prefer to do as some posters have said and edit in my own category (which my site would be) but you have to submit the URL's of all sites you own... wouldn't they look at that and say NO?

moomooo, Nov 18, 2007 IP
    robjones likes this.
  17. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Not neccessarily, but not naming them will definately get you a no, ;). If your only reason is to get your site listed, it might not be a very good motivation for applying. If your site doesn't belong in a very small category, (which is where every editor starts out), or it doesn't belong in the category you apply for, or you apply for a category that's too large for a new editor, then using it as a sample site would show you haven't read the information below, or our Guidelines. http://www.dmoz.org/guidelines/

http://www.resource-zone.com/forum/faq.php?faq=faq_editor#faq_faq_become

http://www.dmoz.org/help/become.html

If any of you do become editors to get your own personal site listed, and I'm not saying that's a completely bad motivation, (just not a very selfless one), at least stay long enough to think of others and clean up and build that category up a little and leave it better than you found it.

Also, visit the Internal forums and see for yourself what kind of people we really are, how we operate, what our motivations are, and the size of the job we're doing.

Take advantage of your access to find out what the truth is, and then tell the truth once you've timed out for lack of activity, or better yet, stay with us and become more involved in editing. ;)

crowbar, Nov 18, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  18. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, Crowbar, on the bright side... as all of the comments above but one were made in 2004 I doubt they're waiting for a reply. Must be National Bump an Ancient Thread Week. Damn... I missed the memo. :)

robjones, Nov 19, 2007 IP
  19. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm thinkin they'll be back, probably still waitin for their applications to go through, :D.

crowbar, Nov 19, 2007 IP
  20. ecctao

ecctao Peon

Best Answers:
    I send my apply but no answer!

ecctao, Dec 26, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.