1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Argh! Norton is a pain!

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Sham, Dec 11, 2005.

1. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I've used Norton and Symantec's product's for years and couldn't be happier. Why would an app slow down your computer? Are you using a 286? I run Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security and have no problems.

fryman, Dec 26, 2005 IP
  2. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    I used to have Norton, but bcos of Slowing the PC had to remove it.
    Noton requires Frequent Updates :(
    Now iam having a Better one - CA eTrust too Less Updates :)

amitpatel_3001, Dec 26, 2005 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    When did less frequent updates become a good thing? :confused:

I certainly have not seen anything to suggest that the rate of newly created/discovered virii has slowed down at all...

minstrel, Dec 26, 2005 IP
  4. Grump

Grump Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do computer repairs and have found Norton, as well as McAfee products resource hogs to the point of slowing down some systems. I used to do tech support for McAfee on CompuServe many years ago and found them and Norton Utilities to be very good products. However, in their current states, and possibly combined with their attempts to add features trying to best the competition, they can cause problems.

Last year I had Norton System Works installed and couldn't be happier. Right after installing SP2 for Windows XP, I would get frequent BSODs during reboots and shut-downs -- not every time, but most of the time. When the license for NSW ran out, I decided to try AVG Free for virus protection. I uninstalled NSW and did a thorough cleaning of all references to NSW in the registry and file manager. No more BSODs -- not a single one.

I built a new system that was very similar to my existing system and decided to install that version of NSW on it. It worked fine until the SP2 update. I figured by then Symantec would have addressed this issue in an update for NSW (I found other people with the same or similar problems, so it wasn't like Symantec didn't know about it), but there was no update that fixed my BSODs. I then did a clean install of the OS and applied SP2 before installing NSW and no BSODs.

Whether the problem was a MS or a NSW problem I don't know. What I do know is that I don't have a lot of options when it comes to an OS, but I have lots of options when it comes to security programs. At the moment I am running on both computers all free software -- AVG, MS Windows AntiSpyware, Ad-Aware SE, Spybot Search & Destroy and the firewalls that come with my router and my ISP. I know that my systems have more free resources. I can't say for sure if one solution is better than the other for security because in the 14 years I have been online, I have never been damaged by a virus, worm, trojan or anything else.

The feeling of security alone is a big plus in my book. If you feel secure with the system you have and it is not degrading your resources appreciably, then stick with it. But when it is time to renew your license for a paid product, be sure to check out the free alternatives before you sign on the dotted line.

R'gards,

Grump

Grump, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  5. airforcematt

airforcematt Active Member

Best Answers:
    norton ad blocking sucks yes - however this type of thing is just going to keep on getting more serious - ad-blockers are becoming rampant.

airforcematt, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  6. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    the Guyz an Idiot Who RED repped me now. :(

Dec 27th 2005 8:25 pm

amitpatel_3001, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    On the other hand, your first installation apparently ran fine with Norton. I'm working on probably my fourth system with Norton AV and Firewall, the first two with Win98 and the last two with XP, with no problems. In that time, there have been two XP systems at the office, again both with Norton and again without problems.

It's not necessarily either a Norton problem OR a Windows problem when things don't seem to work. Sometimes, it's other software autoloading and just not playing well together.

minstrel, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  8. Malachim

Malachim Peon

Best Answers:
    It drove me mental too, until I worked it out. Nortons ad blocking (certainly for NIS2005) is keyword based. if you avoid the banned words you are fine.

:) Here's an answer to this very same question...

[ http://www.ackadia.com/web-design/web-design/trouble-shooting.php ]

Basically advert.jpg will be stripped, odvert.jpg won't
    Ditto /ads vs /ods

Strange, but true.

As for playing with the settings, this is actually a bad idea. If you want to see your site as the vast majority of users see it, you need to go with the default settings. A bugger, but there it is. Easier to rename a file or directory that fix a billion web users, eh!

Personally, given some of the unsavioury sites they specifically allow, I think they are accepting funds to whitelist them. :mad:

Malachim, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  9. Malachim

Malachim Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh aye, and remember the lists are upgraded often. Something to watch eh.

Malachim, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  10. Zenith

Zenith Peon

Best Answers:
    Where's the applaud emoticon?

Symantec/Norton is bloatware. The few Symantec/Norton cdroms I have lying around are strictly for use as coasters on the coffee table.

Zenith, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Pfffttt... Zenith is bloatware. Their TVs suck.

minstrel, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  12. Zenith

Zenith Peon

Best Answers:
    It's my opinion. I express it as you get to express yours. ;)

Zenith, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  13. tweetylover8402

tweetylover8402 Peon

Best Answers:
    I use the AOL CD's I get for coasters! :D

tweetylover8402, Dec 28, 2005 IP
  14. Nasruddin

Nasruddin Peon

Best Answers:
    Why Dont You Disable Your Norton For Few Moments And Try

Nasruddin, Dec 28, 2005 IP