1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress 2.0 Has Permalink Problems

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by Hon Daddy Dad, Dec 26, 2005.

This is just a heads up that I'm sure will get sorted quickly. Wordpress 2.0 beta currently has problems with setting up the correct permalink structures.

So don't install the 2.0 beta on your important sites unless you know how to manually create a .htaccess for wordpress.

Hon Daddy Dad, Dec 26, 2005 IP
  2. subigo

subigo Peon

Best Answers:
  3. blacknight

blacknight Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's no longer beta...

I did a clean install on a spare domain and found that I had to manually create a .htaccess and chmod 666 it before it would work, although the Wordpress backend didn't notice that the file wasn't being created ...

blacknight, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  4. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    It'll have small bugs like this for a while...

1.2 and 1.5 both initially had small issues with the Permalink stuf from what I can remember - Just download the latest version over the next few days/weeks.

SEbasic, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  5. blacknight

Best Answers:
    True. I'm a strong believer in testing something like this properly before doing anything crazy :)

blacknight, Dec 27, 2005 IP
    SEbasic likes this.
  6. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's a quick solution. Before you upgrade make your chmod 644 your .htaccess file so that the old one doesn't get written over.

Hon Daddy Dad, Dec 31, 2005 IP
  7. blacknight

Best Answers:
    That won't help you too much, as WP2 handles the mod_rewrite and redirects very differently.

blacknight, Jan 1, 2006 IP
  8. YoungSmeagol

YoungSmeagol Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wanted to use permalinks but since I can't I've been thinking about switching to blogger but WP2 has a lot of great features, so I am kind of torn between the two. How bad will using /?p=2 be?

YoungSmeagol, Jan 1, 2006 IP
  9. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm waiting a month to see if any more bugs pop up.

Is it worth the time? I am happy with the last version.

marketjunction, Jan 1, 2006 IP
  10. NikkiBlue

NikkiBlue Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Me too! I'm happy with the last version. :)

NikkiBlue, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  11. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    I havent noticed anything bad except YPN ads dont display on some pages.

aaron_nimocks, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  12. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I installed 2.0 on a new site last night. The only issue I had, so far, was the stupid virtual rich html editor. It kept erasing my posts in firefox.

I unchecked it in my profile and went to the regular one, which is more than enough. Everything seems ok.

Oh, I am having a problem with the autometa plugin. I might try simpletags instead for this one.

marketjunction, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  13. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    Well it worked great for me. And the reason is just because WP2 handles mod_rewrites and redirects differently doesn't mean it can overide your server permission settings.

Hon Daddy Dad, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  14. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot of people are having problems with permalinks in 2.0, but not everyone. I have three blogs which I updated and one works just fine, the other two are a little buggy, but since they were new blogs I'm okay with that. I CAN use permalinks on them, but only with the format of 'yourdomain.com/postname'. When I add the post id or date tags I get a 404 error for that page.

Anyway, the WP team rawks so I'm sure they'll be a patch soon. Someone already put out a plugin to manually force the rewrite rules. Again it works for some but not everyone....

Dreamshop, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  15. blacknight

Best Answers:
    blacknight, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  16. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:
    Blacknight...it's not just permalinks using the word 'blog' it's many variations on that, and caused by what I believe to be problems with updating the database (all 2.0 handles much of the rewrite functions internally). I do not use the term 'blog' at all but am still having similiar 404 page errors. I even have one site that works fine, while another does not; both are on the same server.

Anyway, there is most definitely a bug and it's caused problems for a lot of WP users using permalinks. As SEbasic mentioned this happened with the last big update and will probably take a couple months to iron out.

17. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    For the record, I'm not having any issues, saying that I don't include the post ID or date generally. :)

SEbasic, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  18. blacknight

Best Answers:
    Dreamshop - the only categories that I've found issues with were the ones with the string "blog", so I presumed that it was something to do with the install path conflicting...
    In previous versions the permalinks were handled more via mod_rewrite, so you could at least see what was causing the issue. Now it seems to be all on the inside and I have no idea how to fix it :(

19. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:

If you check the WP support boads there's a lot test patches and such that others have posted. Someone even created a plugin to force regular rewrite rules. I didn't have any luck with any of these, but others have so I would definitely recommend at least checking it out. Just do a tag search on permalinks and you'll see all the threads.

I can also get permalinks to work by just using the custom structure: /%postname%/

Anything else gives me an error. Of course that's just on two blogs. I have one other client blog that works perfectly fine (thank gawd). I feel sorry for those who have tons of archived pages and now have lots of 404's. That's gotta hurt. :eek:

20. blacknight

Best Answers:
    I've got nearly 3 years worth of posts and several important backlinks that I can't get changed, so changing the permalink structure is not really an option...