1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Doesn't this just piss you off?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by mdvaldosta, Dec 26, 2005.

mdvaldosta, Dec 26, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Must be of an editor

fryman, Dec 26, 2005 IP
  3. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    If the DMOZ meta is reading this, (I PM'ed with one a few weeks ago; can't remember who -- my bad) but this is what I meant!

one incident like this will take months to recover from! and in between, a new incident will occur...

frankm, Dec 26, 2005 IP
  4. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    I've been trying to document DMOZ problems. I'm certainly jealous of this site's 26 listings and just the fact that it gets 26 listings when in so many similar cases, sites (not owned/operated by a DMOZ editor) would be lucky to have more than 1 makes it *appear* illegitimate.

But, checking waybackmachine, this site and most of these pages has been around since well before adsense was around so you can't accuse the site of being a made-for-adsense site.

Nitin M, Dec 26, 2005 IP
  5. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    I assumed it was new because it has a zero pagerank. My guess is it was an expired domain.

mdvaldosta, Dec 26, 2005 IP
  6. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree with Fryman this site must either be an editors, an exchange of money has taken place, a friend of an editor, or maybe Santas elves broke in to the DMOZ database and added all those spammy pages :p

Maybe next year if I am good Santa will place my site and several interpages in DMOZ, but then yet again by next year Enron or Worldcom will be running DMOZ :eek:

Las Vegas Homes, Dec 26, 2005 IP
    pagode likes this.
  7. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    You see so many people complaining about submitting their sites and never ever getting them listed.. and then you see a crap one like this with 26 listings... makes you wonder...

fryman, Dec 26, 2005 IP
    pagode likes this.
  8. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting that there is no editor for any of those categories. From what I can gather that means an editor higher up the tree approved all these. I think that makes it even worse.

Not like some guy got his editorship and went crazy. This had to be someone more seasoned.

Of course if you look some of the categories, like the acura legend one has not been updated since August of 2003.

aeiouy, Dec 26, 2005 IP
  9. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Whatever the reason for the decision regarding that website, it's blatantly unfair from the point of view of anyone outside of DMOZ and another obvious public relations disaster for anyone inside DMOZ who actually acres about what's left of the integrity and reputation of the directory.

Looking at that, personally I don't even want to hear the excuse for why it exists - all I want to see is confirmation that it's been corrected (i.e., removed).

minstrel, Dec 26, 2005 IP
  10. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    i think you guys are being too critical.

it was obviously the dying wish of a cancerous boy.

"please....my sites....dmoz...gah"

Dekker, Dec 26, 2005 IP
    mmerlinn, Golf - Guy and TheHoff like this.
  11. SiteExpress

SiteExpress Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It certainly is hard to swallow. I have a site with all pages of completely original content, and have submitted it several times, yet I cannot get it listed. Then I see this.

SiteExpress, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  12. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    And this is just the tip of the iceberg...

fryman, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  13. Googles76

Googles76 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm, no editor comments yet?

Googles76, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  14. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't see an issue with this site - how can it be brand new when it's been listed for over five years? The 25 deeplinked listings aren't preventing any other sites from being added either - the ODP hasn't maximized it's storage facility yet :D

I looked at the site - there are some nice photos of these cars - mdvaldosta you can even submit a photo of your mustang (let us know if they add it) :)

The deeplinks are appropriate for the categories they're in and the edits weren't made by all the same person, so I don't think you'll be hearing anything from the meta fathom.

lmocr, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Oh... fathom is the meta there, eh... hmmm...

I think you're missing the bigger picture, lmocr. Whether it is brand new or a decade old has nothing to do with why it has 26 listings.

minstrel, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  16. tweetylover8402

tweetylover8402 Peon

Best Answers:
    Execuses can be taken with the birds - flown away. It'll take DMOZ (the Dinosaur) more time to think of excuses and justify their position than just to FIX IT NOW and remove a few <a /> links. :D

tweetylover8402, Dec 27, 2005 IP
    pagode and minstrel like this.
  17. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Life happens. I'll definately look at it and comment but at the moment I have real life things that must come first. It may not be until later tonight or maybe even tomorrow but I'll have something to say. ;)

It would take me more time to look at it and do what needs to be done than to just make a quick post here saying thanks for the pointer... I'll look later. I haven't seen my son in a long time and he's on his way home for a 2 week visit. He's been in a desert half way around the world in a dangerous area doing a dangerous job and will have to go back soon, so I only have a limited amount of time right now. Please try to understand that while this is important and it will be looked at it, we can't always just drop everything as if it's an emergency.

compostannie, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  18. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    I still don't understand the problem - why is it so bad that this site's pages are listed in 25 different categories? It fits the categories where it's listed.

Look at the one for Lamborghini for example - I went through the sites in that category and the photos from the site in question are not on any of the other sites, so there is unique content that fits the category. Those are the requirements for listing.

There is no "one listing per website" rule. There is a "one suggestion per website" rule - but the two rules don't affect each other. It is up to the editors and the editing guidelines (there are some places where deeplinks aren't appropriate) if there will be deeplinks of some sites and not of others. If anyone is interested in reading it - there is a newsletter article about deeplinks http://www.dmoz.org/newsletter/2001May/deeplink.html

lmocr, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    And until there is some logical rationale for who gets 26 listings and who gets zero listings, you have a public relations nightmare, if nothing else.

It's not a question of whether he has 26 photos that might be relevant to those categories. It's a question of why that site? What's special about it that it deserves that many listings when similar and objectively better sites get 1 or none?

Do you wonder that the question of corruption keeps coming up when there are so many examples like this one? This is hardly an isolated example.

At the risk of being reetitive, there is a very, very long list of questionable sites with 2- and 3-digit DMOZ listings here: www.whois.sc/dmoz/

minstrel, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  20. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Just 26...that's not all that bad;)

I have competitors with 200 - 400+ listings and I can't get 1:(

GuyFromChicago, Dec 27, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.