1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PPC Pitfalls?

Discussion in 'Pay Per Click Advertising' started by myvv, Oct 15, 2004.

In a few weeks I'll be launching my new ecommerce site and plan to rely heavily on PPC. I've read alot about click fraud and bid management but I'm wondering in your experience what you've found to be the top issues with PPC? What would be your advice and issues to watch out for with PPC? Thanks guys :)

myvv, Oct 15, 2004 IP
  2. dentalplans

dentalplans Peon

Best Answers:
    PPC can get out of hand quickly. We have hundred of thousands of terms we use in Google and Overture and most of them are at .25 or less. Most obscure terms are at .05 or .10. Of course it all comes down to your conversion ration and what your ROI is at the end of the day, but assuming your site converts well (always could improve) and you do your keyword research (Digitalpoints tool is great!), you should realize a positive ROI with Goog and Ov. I always tell my affiliates to start out small with low bids and wait for some conversions to come in before you pump up the bids and get AGRO! Definitely AVOID smaller ppc's, they never have worked for squat for us. Try to get the most out of Google and Overture with large keyword files, geo-targeting, and drill down baby! :D

dentalplans, Nov 6, 2004 IP
  3. mudnik

mudnik Peon

Best Answers:
    hmm..juz a tip...before you launch your PPC campaign big time, you might want to limit the amount allocated to test and make sure your site converts well. At the very least, you should capture the leads so that all that traffic is not wasted.

mudnik, Nov 7, 2004 IP
  4. myvv

myvv Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys for your very valuable advice. You've likely saved me hundreds of dollars :)

myvv, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  5. digitalje5u5

digitalje5u5 Peon

Best Answers:
    Go for the search ads and stay away from the content ads. Using different ppc conversion analysis tools, the search ads convert 5x better than content ads.

In my experience, anyway....

/DJ

digitalje5u5, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  6. dentalplans

dentalplans Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I have been running the content matching on Google for the last 2 months to try to boost revenue, but all it's really doing is boosting our cost. :mad:
    Evan

dentalplans, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  7. digitalje5u5

digitalje5u5 Peon

Best Answers:
    In my experience there is absolutely no legitimate reason to use the content matching ads. You may get one or two sales (conversions) but you are paying so much for those that is not worth it. You are better off missing out on those sales entirely. Currently I am managing over 35 google campaigns and none of them are converting via content match.

Waste of money.

/DJ

digitalje5u5, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  8. dentalplans

dentalplans Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah...it's sucks! Done with Content match for good!
    Evan

dentalplans, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  9. lilquit

lilquit Peon

Best Answers:
    pay per click breaks the wallet

lilquit, Nov 26, 2004 IP
  10. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Personally, I'd rather invest money spent on PPc in buying advertisements on related sites. In the longrun, the pay off is much much higher. PPC pays off now; links pay off in the future.

lorien1973, Nov 26, 2004 IP
  11. Chris Choi

Chris Choi Peon

Best Answers:
    I say use PPC and test it. Only testing can really prove
    if it's going to be profitable for you or not. And content
    match really stinks but in some cases it actually works
    so give it a shot. Use your money wisely and slowly.

Chris Choi, Dec 11, 2004 IP
  12. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

My biggest advice to anyone running a PPC campaign that takes you to a site where people buy things, specifically with CC's is that you DO NOT have an instant order procurment system. Look carefully at each order before you actually process it. Every single person that hit our site with a PPC paid with a stolen CC. This was for dedicated servers and web hosting. Our web hosting set up used to be automated so you were online after payment processed, now it is not for this specific reason. PPC with Adword got us tons of leads/sales, but they ALL were bogus. Like clockwork every Sunday we would have a slew of orders. I guess they figured we were not at work on Sunday and would not catch up with them right away.

Anyway, your mileage may vary.

Mia, Dec 11, 2004 IP