1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do I get on DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by ZachH, Sep 10, 2005.

1. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes. Read the DMOZ guidelines. Suggest your site in the one best category with a title and description according the guidelines. Wait (or do some other usefull things). Nothing more can be done.

pagode, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    pagode, you are either (1) dumb as a stump, or (2) a troll yourself. What she posted was obvious - you can't even quote accurately (hell, I don't even know if you can read accurately)...

What she actually said was

You've got to be either (1) a moron or (2) a malicious troll not to be able to comprehend that statement.

minstrel, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  3. Lisa White

Lisa White Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, you got me right, they are making it so hard to be listed, obviously I spent on Yahoo around $4,000 per month, if I really hate them I would not give them this kind of money.

http://www.mymovingquote.com
    Moving companies Directory

Lisa White, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  4. Lisa White

Lisa White Peon

Best Answers:
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    :confused:

You don't run a forum, do you? So the forumboosting site isn't going to help you. As for the others, unless you are determined to keep throwing money away, I'm not sure you need those either. That Google link is just the Google news feeds - that's fairly new and I'm not sure yet how many peop[le are even using it. I sspect that most people using portals are probably using either MyMSN.com or MyYahoo.com at this point.

You're already spending a small fortune on Yahoo. If you want to spend more money on advertising, try Google Adwords.

minstrel, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  6. Lisa White

Lisa White Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I know, I do use Google Adwords.
    Its expensive.

7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Yes. But if you want exposure quickly, and are prepared to pay for it, at least use a service that actually GETS you exposure.

Or... go for the long term and slowly build up relevant backlinks, submit to legitimate free directories, that sort of thing...

minstrel, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  8. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    Just a suggestion Lisa, take half of that $4000 monthly budget and use it to have a very well designed website created that you could hire a good seo company to help get it naturally ranked within the search engines or if you have a well designed and informative site then use the funds to hire a good Seo company.

This may slow the flow of business you get right now until you get natural rankings but in the long run your ROI will improve greatly. With good Seo you can get natural rankings in Yahoo fairly fast.

Sorry to have gone a little off topic but I believe it was appropreiate.

Best Of Luck!!

Las Vegas Homes, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I don't think it's off-topic at all, LVH. That's what I was hinting at above, too.

The problem with paying big bucks for advertising or paid links is that as soon as you stop paying you drop like a stone.

Do it right the first time and you can probably enjoy at least top 20 rankings for a long time. You just need to be more patient to do it that way - it's about building for the long term instead of spending for the short term.

minstrel, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  10. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If your SEO/web Marketing company are any good, they will improve not only positions but conversions. Improving conversion rates is something that will earn you more without the need for more traffic. People get so damn hung up on traffic that they forget the need to maximise their current visitors. 'Would you like fries with that sir', it might be a joke to some, but it is a lesson that many ignore at their cost. A bag of fries at £1 on an average order value of £5 with a conversion of 1:10 will increase turnover by 2% .

Success on the web is about converting your traffic, be it to register for a newsletter, or spend money in your store. Personally I would look at the conversion ratios of your adwords campaign, and divert some of the poorly converting phrases into a web marketing fund to ensure you are maximising your current traffic first, and then for balls out positioning later. (realistically as you work on a site for conversions it ranks better anyhow as usability and SEO are now more or less in the same neighbourhood)

Old Welsh Guy, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  11. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on your category. Or should I say the attitude of the editor of your category. Do what pagode says, but if you're not in there within about a month forget it, it's not going to happen.

nfzgrld, Dec 24, 2005 IP
  12. ImBae.net

ImBae.net Guest

Best Answers:
    I just submitted my site. How long do you think it would take?

I submitted to Internet Marketing category

ImBae.net, Dec 24, 2005 IP
  13. Birdie

Birdie Peon

Best Answers:
    As thats a spam prone area that a lot of mediocre sites get submitted to (most are unlistable, but take up an editors time),.... probably waiting a while.

Birdie, Dec 24, 2005 IP
  14. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    Somewhere between a few days and a few years. Even the DMOZ editors can not predict when it will happen.

pagode, Dec 24, 2005 IP
  15. alhoop

alhoop Peon

Best Answers:
    Niche categories get accepted faster, also a unique content would help.

alhoop, Dec 25, 2005 IP
  16. dotcommakers

dotcommakers Active Member

Best Answers:
    forget about dmoz.. its useless [my personal opinion] .. i am so tired of it that.. i have thought to start my own directory.....

lol...

dotcommakers, Dec 25, 2005 IP
  17. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    Dotcommakers according to the information i got.
    If you get Listed in Dmoz - You get Listed Everywhere(In the Top SE's).

amitpatel_3001, Dec 25, 2005 IP
    dotcommakers likes this.
  18. dotcommakers

dotcommakers Active Member

Best Answers:
    you are correct.. but its not only the way we get listed on search engines.. we can list our sites ourselves..

i was after dmoz. but it worthless.. its just dying.. if u cant keep "open source" "free" things in correct way or properly.. it will die some day.. its very hard to maintain it..it must be always accessible .. helpfull and easy...

i am hopeless for dmoz

dotcommakers, Dec 25, 2005 IP
    pagode likes this.
  19. webworker

webworker Peon

Best Answers:
    Volunteer to edit a small category. Mention all your website(s). Suggest 3 sites that are not in DMOZ and that fit exactly into that category. Write good descriptions. That's all - getting into DMOZ is sometimes a DIY job.

webworker, Dec 26, 2005 IP
  20. topsites

topsites Guest

Best Answers:
    Why not?
    I did... Long before I even heard of dmoz.

topsites, Dec 29, 2005 IP