1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which House Style To Build?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rick sample, Nov 14, 2007.

Hello Everyone,
    I would really like to have as many opinions as possible about the cons and pros of each house style (Since this will be my very first home purchase). Some of you that already own this style home may be able to point out some key features. Here are the two styles:

2 Story Colonial
    $175,000 built
    2,500 SQ Feet
    2 Car garage
    2.5 Baths
    3 Bedrooms
    2 Living rooms
    http://schumacherhomes.com/image-text.aspx?price=From%20$153,900&file=/uploads/wellington-717.jpg&size=225&text=Wellington+(2496+SQFT)

Split Level Executive Style
    $165,000 built
    2,200 SQ Feet
    3 Car Garage
    3 Baths
    3 Bedrooms
    2 Living Rooms
    Den
    http://www.ricelandhomes.net/images/NevadaLG.jpg

rick sample, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  2. Stax_Daniel

Stax_Daniel Guest

Best Answers:
    how many cars do you have? How many people in your family? (would 3 full baths be more convienient than 2?...do 3 people need to take a shower at the same time?...lol)...sounds silly...but that is one main thing i woul be considering before i chose

Stax_Daniel, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  3. rick sample

rick sample Peon

Best Answers:
    Their are only two of us at the moment, my GF and I. 3 Car garage would be a lot more convenient. I have a show car that needs to be kept in one bay at all times, then I would need another bay for lawn equipment. It would be nice to keep one free for my work car, but not necessary.

4. tarponkeith

tarponkeith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like two stories, for security purposes... Personal opinion though...

tarponkeith, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  5. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, when I am looking for a house I of course look at the luxuries that would be nice to have, but you will also want to think about how much it's going to cost to maintain the house, how easy that would be, and how much your bills (water, gas, electric) are going to cost you. Expenses can sneak up on you and build quickly, so don't forget to consider these things. You said this will be your first home purchase, so try not to get in over your head....

The first house is a beautiful style and reminds me of the family houses you see in movies (like the Chevy Chase Christmas Vacation movie, Home Alone, etc). I've always wanted a house like that to raise a family in. But, that house is HUGE, very tall. Would I want to really purchase that as a first house? NO. For a first house, that's going to take a lot to maintain and I personally wouldn't want to get something that big and expensive to fix. And I don't even want to think how much it would cost to heat that tall house....

The second house I think would be a little easier to maintain. It also seems like it would fit your needs better if you would like to have more garage space for your nice car.

Both houses are beautiful, but just make sure you consider not only the PROS, but the CONS as well. I just purchased and moved into a new house and I love it, but am now starting to notice things as a negative that I didn't notice before. All are small annoyances, but if I want to fix them later, it will cost me some money, sweat, and time. Like there are no plugs in the bathrooms (what nobody has an electric toothbrush or hair dryer these days?), some of the wiring doesn't work 100%, the backyard fence needs work....the list goes on and on.

But just remember, whatever house you choose, you will always spend a lot more money on it than you think you are going to because you can't catch everything when building/buying a house!!

Firegirl, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  6. tarponkeith

tarponkeith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Firegirl, good notes... Also, if you're paranoid about radio waves, like I am, you might want to ask if wall outlet LAN lines are possible... Just an idea...

tarponkeith, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  7. rick sample

rick sample Peon

Best Answers:
    You all have very good points, I am looking for one a little larger than what most first time home buyers are because we want enough room to where we won't have to buy a larger one or add on down the road.

The reason why we don't just want this to be our starter home is because a lot more than just work went into this project. The land has a lot of value to both my dad and I for multiple reasons.

Here is another one that we are very interested in. It is only $144,000 so we will be able to add a 3rd car garage, sunroom, etc. Our budget is around $150-$160 if we go with a split level.

[​IMG]

8. dadsworld

dadsworld Banned

Best Answers:
    Being a professional Realtor, I am inclined to look at things from a re-sale standpoint. Split-level homes are not popular these days and may be tougher for you to sell in the future.

dadsworld, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  9. rick sample

rick sample Peon

Best Answers:
    How come they aren't as popular? The pro to a split level is that their aren't as many steps to go up and down. With age, a colonial house would be tougher to get up and down the steps. I know a few people who have colonials and they say that if they had to do it again they would build all the rooms on the same floor.

They make some really nice ranch style homes, but they are way out of my budget, so I'm forced to stick with a colonial or split level. ;)

10. bsklep

bsklep Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Second one and third.. looks good in my opinion.

bsklep, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  11. dadsworld

dadsworld Banned

Best Answers:
    The most popular homes for re-sale are one level homes. I personally prefer a 2 story home, but the market says 1 levels are more saleable. It's kinda like stick shifts vs automatics. I prefer a sportier feel, and like manuals. The majority of people, however, buy automatics. Considering that our population is getting older, auto's and 1 level homes are going to be #1 for quite a while.

Why are split-levels not as popular? Well, several reasons. They tend to evoke images of a 1970's home, that badly needs updating. Oak, lava rocks, that wonderful yellow stained glass window in the entry, harvest gold and avocado green appliances and counters, etc. I realize there are some extremely nice and desireable splits, just isn't the norm. Also, if you are into Feng Shui at all (and a suprising number of people are), splits are not good for energy flow. You must make a decision upon entering your front door. (up or down) Bad energy.

Traditionally, splits had the bedrooms, kitchen and living room upstairs, and the laundry and bonus area downstairs. Makes for a lot of hauling clothes up and down stairs. Much better off to have the laundry on the same level as the bedrooms.

dadsworld, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  12. vodafone

vodafone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i will Pick Italy Style Amazing :D

vodafone, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  13. melbel

melbel Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I like the Colonial. The other one looks too pre-fab and looks trashy. It also would date really quickly. The colonial has a smaller roof which is cheaper to care for and looks distinguished and is timeless.

melbel, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  14. juniper

juniper Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i would like house on @rick sample post's house

juniper, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  15. rick sample

rick sample Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone for your opinions so far... you have helped me out a lot. The split levels are out of the question. It does make a lot of sense and a lot of builders don't build them. The ones that do only have a couple to choose from.

We are actually looking at ranch type homes now. The one we are looking at is around $150,000 and it's 1,800 SQ Feet. Out budget for this house would be around $160,000 so we are planing on perhaps adding 4 feet to the great room

rick sample, Nov 15, 2007 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  16. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    I think the cheaper option is better. Why? Because it is cheaper :D

Cheap SEO Services, Nov 15, 2007 IP
  17. joseph.stevens7

joseph.stevens7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would look at the home from a more financial standpoint (resale value, payoff timeline) but if you are wanting to live in it for a while and resale isn't the biggest factor in your decision.... you should look at the qualitative factors in the decision. This is going to be a home you will be living in for some time now, every day. If you aren't happy in the home, then does it really matter if you can fit an extra car in it

joseph.stevens7, Nov 15, 2007 IP
  18. rogue

rogue Banned

Best Answers:
    well sometimes am dreaming of my house style.3 stories , 2 bathroom on the first flr and second flr. ,1 master bedroom and 3 bedrooms on the socond flr,1 guest room on the first flr,living room and kitchen on the first flr. ,and on the third flr a nipa hut, a pool and a small bar.around my house a relaxing landscape garden and the garage.

rogue, Nov 15, 2007 IP
  19. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with the Bender. Cheaper is better.

bogart, Nov 15, 2007 IP
  20. rick sample

rick sample Peon

Best Answers:
    I finally narrowed my search down to two houses. A ranch style home from Schumacher homes or a two story colonial from Riceland Homes. The two story is 2,200 SQ feet while the ranch is 2,000 SQ feet.

I really love the style of the ranch, it's the best model home that I have walked in so far. The only problem is that the builder (Schumacher homes) has some negative feedback if you search google. They are a large corporation, so we have to talk to salesmen.

On the other hand, riceland homes have been in business for more than 30 years. They are a very small company, so the owner gives you the price quote. They only have family working for them. Have yet to find one negative review about the company.

Which would you go for and why? Both homes sit at $165,000 and they are almost the same size.

rick sample, Nov 19, 2007 IP