1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

.Page extension

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by OnlinePerson, Nov 13, 2007.

Hi,

The other day I saw a website that had pages ending in .page instead of .php/.shtml/.html. Just wondering, is this htaccess that does that?

I'm not sure if there's any benefit, but it looks neat. Thanks.

OnlinePerson, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  2. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends what webserver they are using, if it is Apache then yes it is done in .htaccess where as with IIS it is done directly on the server itself.

Where there is benefit is hiding the language/ framework it is using (to a minor degree - a few of the top "php" sites dont actually run php) and more so if you switch frameworks and dont want to have to 301 redirect your complete site to a file extension.

I have to say I have been curious as to if using a keyword as a file extension would impact SEO but have never had the time/ inclination to research it. Generally they arent that great in real terms due to peoples memory not being great and so almost always defaulting to .html if they forget the extension of the url they are attempting to type

AstarothSolutions, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  3. krt

krt Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ha... false sense of security. Besides, if you are going to use URL rewriting, why not scrap the file extension altogether?

krt, Nov 14, 2007 IP
    OnlinePerson likes this.
  4. soulscratch

soulscratch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ^ True, I hate it when I see file extensions. A user shouldn't have to remember what the file extension is, just the page name itself IMO.

soulscratch, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  5. OnlinePerson

OnlinePerson Peon

Best Answers:
    I just started reading about how "AddType" can change the file extension; but it can also change the extension to nothing? Interesting, thanks.

OnlinePerson, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  6. krt

krt Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you can set to handler for files without an extension. Or, you can use mod_rewrite, you can even send every request to one script (a front controller) and let it dispatch the request as needed.

krt, Nov 15, 2007 IP