1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ ? who is Dmoz ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by newzone, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    This is the 21st Century? Or do we still live in Dark ages? Oh yeah I forgot:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ivan Bajlo, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  2. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I see US defense posters bearing a message of which you disapprove. Thanks. We'll try to get both to live up to the fine egalitarian example historically set by Croatia.

If you want to start comparing our respective nation's good and bad qualities we're in the wrong forum, but I'll be glad to follow you to the proper place to do so.

Semper Fi, buckethead.

robjones, Nov 13, 2007 IP
    Mia likes this.
  3. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    First one is UK, not everything is about US. :p

And my point is DMOZ is not fighting nazis and doesn't need to keep editor communication with outside World to a minimum.

4. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    No, but we have kids that edit, and ladies, and many of them just edit in small categories about hobbies or other things they're interested in. They don't need to be harrassed or threatened. Look at some of the nasty things that get said in here.

crowbar, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  5. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    It should be individual editor choice whether he/she wants to be contacted, having metas frown on most communications with outside World is hardly useful either to public image or editors opinion of working for what is suppose to be a volunteer project.

6. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is.
    It isn't.
    It is.
    =====================================================
    A Few Thousand Official Spokespersons?
    Metas, staff, etc don't give a rat's petoot who we talk to, long as we aren't trying to foist ourselves off as speaking for the directory. It would be folly for any group, paid or volunteer, to have a few thousand "official spokespersons".

Outside Discussions: The OJ Factor
    OTOH there are times people make an idiot of themselves publicly, making it best for the directory to do without their services for the same reason I havent noticed Hertz using OJ Simpson for a lot of commercials recently. Some people basically turn out to be an embarrassment. If I was a betting man I'd guess you were one of those. No reason to keep those who cannot self-moderate. We don't need the trouble.

Editor to Submitter Communication
    The desire not to be harassed is behind the fact that most editors personally elect not to communicate with submitters. If it hadn't been a problem, it wouldn't be that way. I've seen it happen, and frankly I don't think volunteers should be required to put up with it. Some of us have thicker skins and do converse with submitters occasionally, but it's our choice.

Bottom line... Metas don't tell us how to spend our time, nor of course should you.

7. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    So what your saying is that any editor can be removed on a metas whim just because meta thinks editor should be removed - no real evidence is needed? Thank you for confirming that.

Yep, real global community of backstabbers. :(

8. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nice, except I didn't confirm any such thing. Nobody can be removed on a metas whim. The removal process requires a lot more than one meta, and in most cases entails a decision to be made at staff or admin level AFTER a vote by a consensus of metas. That isn't a big secret.

As for whether an organization should be REQUIRED to ignore a loose cannon that constantly reflects poorly on the group... well... I'm not a meta and I certainly cannot definitively say that's why YOU were removed, but I'd be terribly disappointed if I found doing so for that reason isn't ever practiced.

Check the rules of any municipal group or governing body and you'll find rules of that nature. It goes under various names depending on the severity of the offense and the nature of the group, but historically organizations try to reign in the looneys in their midst, it is a common practice.

9. ScottDaMan

ScottDaMan Peon

Best Answers:
    crowbar, that was very admirable to "show face" in this subject. Thanks.

ScottDaMan, Nov 13, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  10. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    You obviously have never read my early posts here, in them I was actually defending DMOZ until I got stabbed in the back, so now I'm out for revenge but first I need to find a great treasure like The Count of Monte Cristo. :eek:

So you making false accusations on what other people said is perfectly ok with DMOZ but what I said was such blasphemy that I need to be removed? Such nice community that cares about its members... :rolleyes:

11. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Already said I don't know why you were removed. Face it Ivan, your actions since haven't given anyone reason to care, you've only made the removal look like a good move. Simple truth.

12. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, after getting kicked out I should have kept my mouth shut and never scream injustice like a good little boy. When they kick you out remember to keep quite and never complain about it.

With such caring community who needs real enemies.

13. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You've done a bit more than just scream "injustice". At this point you've made the guys that originated the idea of booting you look like geniuses. If that was your goal... congratulations. They can't kick ME out though, I'm the one that brings donuts.

14. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure what that term means, but it sounds like a compliment, so you're very welcome, :). There's another 6,000 editors just like me, ;).

crowbar, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  15. webmasterplace

webmasterplace Peon

Best Answers:
    I have 2 belgian domains too and none of them are listing at DMOZ.
    My first domain was submitted 2 years ago, still not listed. I guess it will never listed then :(

webmasterplace, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  16. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Anything submitted two years ago would have been lost in the Fall 2006 server crash if it was in the queue. You probably need to resubmit.

Being on a Belgian server wouldn't have any effect at all, content is the key factor.

17. webmasterplace

webmasterplace Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I actually resubmitted a few months ago and content shouldn't be the problem. My website has about 110 tutorials, 1470 members (+10 each day) and 7900+ forum posts. Patience is the key to success I think :p

webmasterplace, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  18. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Its not as if I got some strange masochistic urge to return to DMOZ in its current state, complete silence from metas showed me how much community real cares and I can be only proud to be removed from such place.

19. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Webmasterplace - The guys that work blogs get hit pretty heavy with spam from "professional bloggers", and many of 'em turn out to be spider food, affiliate doorways, etc... That means submission of even the best site will be like a kernel of corn floating in a sea of garbage when they open their edit queue.

I know that isn't encouraging, but it's the reality of the situation. The "social media monetization" trend has created a lot of junk sites. I don't pretend to be a pro in that section, just telling you what I hear about it.

Just make sure the category you submit to matches the site well and that's about the best you can do.

20. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    I actually applied for my locality in 2002ish before i had a site that belonged in the category simply because i lived in the area for 30 years and there were no editors and got knocked back.

Unfortunately i don't think there has been a single edit there since, which is a shame because it renders that part of the directory useless for my area and may as well not even be in DMOZ.

sweetfunny, Nov 13, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.