1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

All of the PR Tools are Down - No way to verify PageRank Anylonger?

Discussion in 'Google' started by DonMecca, Nov 12, 2007.

1. BlueDevilMedia

BlueDevilMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL ... What is Pagerank?? I have PR1 sites outranking PR5+ sites. Traffic is everything...traffic comes from backlinks...backlinks influence SERPs...Page rank is a distraction and leading cause of most SPAM sites on the net today.

NOTE: 900th post...whoop whoop :)

BlueDevilMedia, Nov 12, 2007 IP
    ssandecki likes this.
  2. kurzo

kurzo Peon

Best Answers:
    Back to the point of the thread - I too, have noticed that google is not reporting pr for some domains for the past 2-3 weeks, specifically expired domains. Is this due to the recent pr update?

In my opinion, PR is a quick indicator if a domain:
    1. Is still or has recently been in the google index
    2. Has any backlinks

For someone acquiring domains, a pr tool is very important and can take much of the legwork out of the equation.

kurzo, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  3. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Buying domains based on PR is silly, the value is in the traffic, revenue, site structure, site setup, site content, etc

Wanna know if a site is indexed? site:sitename.com as a google operator search
    Wanna know if a site has backlinks? Check via Yahoo! or use link:sitename.com and link: sitename.com

astup1didiot, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  4. DonMecca

DonMecca Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say otherwise, " Stop wasting your time with pagerank" You started that attack my friend.

Anyways lets see..

Your forgeting the basic principle of ranking within Google. Google is built upon backlinks at its core as a voting system. Google doesn't treat all backlink votes equally. As such an indication that Google gives a certain backlink higher value is its PageRank. Therefore backlinks from pages that have HIGH PR tend to be able to pass a stronger effect or "vote" to pages that it links to.

Do you still follow me?

Now what would all that possibly mean?

It means if you have a backlink from a page, you can take a look at their PageRank to determine how strong of a backlink that page would be. It also means the more Backlinks from High PR pages you have the better your rankings are. That has a direct result on your SEO efforts.

I don't know any simpler way to break it down for you. That is why PageRank is still significant as a tool to judge backlinks with, other tools would be to actually look at all the backlinks that certain page has but the fastest method to get an indication is PageRank.

Yes websites with lower PageRank can rank higher then pages with Higher PageRank. Thats because PageRank is constantly being updated in the background and that fact that PageRank isn't the ONLY factor Google considers.

Its a myth to say pagerank is irrelevant to the SERP results of a webpage. You can't single out a factor like that. That would be like saying a Title tag is insignificant to SERP results for a webpage. There are webpages that don't even have the keywords in their title tags which they rank for. This argument your giving me goes along the same logic. You have to think of SEO in 3D. It isn't a ONE factor determines all type of situation.

DonMecca, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  5. kurzo

kurzo Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the obvious tips - but you are correct, those items do help in determining the value of a domain. The original poster's question is a valid one - google's reporting on certain domains is not responding as it normally has.

Since there are many sites that can perform the pr check for 1000's of domains/day, it makes my life much easier than doing a "site:" + a yahoo site explorer check for each domain...

kurzo, Nov 12, 2007 IP
    ssandecki likes this.
  6. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    That was an opinion, not stated towards any knowledge or know-how that you had, offended easily I see.

A site with a lower PR but more relevant content will constitute as a better vote, also backlinks from high PR can be useless since the PR bleed might be less than other sites, depending on outbound links. Your claiming higher PR sites give a better vote, when it depends on the relevant content and relevant backlinks of that site, again this is all stuff that creates your pagerank.

Wrong, many sites with much lower PRs appear higher in SERPs than other competitor sites with higher PRs, Pagerank does not directly affect your SERPs, nor will you find one respectable seo guide or person who would say the same.

Its a my
    Show me a respectable article by top of the field SEO authors or even official posts by Google to back this so called myth up. If I recall correctly, it was mention on Matt Cutters blog that PR doesn't effect SERPs like people have led each other to believe, Pagerank shows the popularity of a site, via the backlinks it recieves. In your view of the subject, only the highest pageranked sites would be in SERPs, regardless how you try to word it.

You just sound like another person attempting to discredit information to make yourself look more intelligent in the manner, typical on DP now days.

7. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    You would want to examine those backlinks, many people buy text links before an assumed PR update to just boost the PR of the site and make people who think PR has actually value to pay more for the site, just to have it drop during the next update when those text links aren't renewed the following month :)

The best work and investigation is the easiest ;)

8. DonMecca

DonMecca Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah, I think we have a miss understanding ssandecki. When I say having more backlinks and backlinks with higher PR I'm refering to the source (backlinks) not your target website. Again it is possible to out rank a significantly higher PR website although the datacentre might show your page as being a lower PR website.

At the end of the day, its still a factor which can't be ignored. PageRank is a tool that any smart individual would utilize in the creation of their link building campaigns.

I don't see the need to continue this with you since I personally have seen the usefulness of actually considering this factor in your strategy.

Search Engines are becoming more and more advance, there are an array of factors they look into to determine Rankings. Any tool you have avialable to determine how they might act you should not ignore. Plain and Simple.

Yeah, I'm wondering of this aswell. Matt was talking about on his blog about major changes to how PageRank is displayed after receiving feedback.

I think they want to remove it from the publics eye or down play its significance. Hmnn I wonder why:D.

9. kurzo

kurzo Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you have the link handy?

kurzo, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  10. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    I see where our problem is, we agree that pagerank is a SERP factor, we just disagree on how much, we is fine, we are agree to disagree in my eyes. Looking at it this way, neither of us can be proven right or wrong, since we both don't know the actually weight value PR carries in SERPs.

+rep for being annoying.

davedx likes this.
  11. DonMecca

DonMecca Peon

Best Answers:
    lol I think thats a new one, rep being added for being annoying. But thank you either way. But yeah your right we will never get a definite answer. I don't think even any single google engineer could give us an exact answer. Otherwise they'd stop working for google and start their own multimillion dollar website. All we can do is assume based on our experiences.

Sorry I don't have the link handy, he posted it a few months back and I guess we are seeing the results now. This is what is starting all these rumours aswell that google will stop displaying PageRank and such.

12. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Digpagerank is working fine for me. :rolleyes:

Please double check if you are using correct url. :)

Mong, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  13. abilitydesigns

abilitydesigns Peon

Best Answers:

BANG ON TARGET !
    refreshing to see a poster like you..wish i had some rep to give u.

abilitydesigns, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  14. squeaky

squeaky Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I did notice that a few page tool sites were having the same problem, as well. Makes me wonder if there are more changes coming from Google?

I wish more people would quit chasing the green bar and focus on page content and backlinks. PR, here today and gone tomorrow and seems that there isn't much status to PR ratings at the moment.

Just my opinion..

squeaky, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  15. krishmk

krishmk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PR is back!
    Just checked it. Its all working fine in
    digpagerank.com
    iwebtool.com
    seologs.com

krishmk, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  16. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Seochat.com 's PR checker is also down

Freewebspace, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  17. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    1) All my firefox PR add-ons work fine.
    2) 2girls1cup is absolutely right.

mightyb, Nov 13, 2007 IP
    buffalo likes this.
  18. wacamoi

wacamoi Peon

Best Answers:
    Mong is right .

all fine

turn on the lights before you type

:D

wacamoi, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  19. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No!

Google is allowing only fewer queries per hour about 3000 in total from all datacenters...

That's why some of the PR tools are down

I have to find a way out for my site www.livepr.info (Internal Page Rank checker)

Freewebspace, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  20. greatlogix

greatlogix Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have jsut checked, iwebtool and digpagerank are working fine

greatlogix, Nov 13, 2007 IP