1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Stumbleupon/Digg if the traffic is no good?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by cosmocentral, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Make the front page of digg, you will get thousands of visitors in a very short time. Get stumbled by stmbleUpon users, you will see a flood of traffic in no time.

Average time spent on site by these visitors is very short. Average pageviews is 1 approximately. And they will eat up the bandwidth like crazy.

If this is what we get from sites like these, why would we bother putting effort on getting traffic from these?

cosmocentral, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  2. magda

magda Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Because it's free? *shrugs*
    Actually the most stumbleupon traffic i've got is from a page being stumbled by someone who had nothing to do with me - they just saw it and liked it - which is after all, how it's supposed to work.

magda, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  3. NCMedia

NCMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's traffic, it's linkbacks, it's awareness, it's free, it's viral, it's rewarding, it's se/seo friendly, it's not always garbage traffic - Many affiliates promoting my products in my siggs are converting great with these types of campaigns, perhaps it doesn't apply to your niche - Bandwidth really should not be an issue these days and chances are it's usually a good problem to have. I think people are crazy for not taking advantage of such free resources. Not trying to influence and keep it natural as magda suggested is an amazing way to monetize, and should be but a small part of ones overall campaign however should never be looked at as a negative. Many people hate McDonalds but are more than 'aware' of it, making them irrelevant to actual product comsumption but their friends, kids, relatives, etc. might love it...

If you'd like to somehow eliminate that traffic and forward it to me i'd take it in a snap and they can eat my bandwidth all day long ;)
    NC.

NCMedia, Nov 11, 2007 IP
    1 person likes this.
  4. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Because the main reason is that a lot of these sites being visited are crap and or it is selling something.

Perry Rose, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  5. trafficnotice

trafficnotice Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, I find that StumbleUpon users look around the site and sometimes even write comments. If the content of the page is interesting, people will look around for more interesting articles. They don't click on AdSense though but this is expected because when people Stumble they are not looking to buy anything. The benefit in my opinion is that if they like the site, they will come come back later and maybe tell their friends.

Never been on Digg's front page so I don't have direct experience with it. However, a friend was on the front page and even though the traffic never came back, he did manage an extra 60 links to his site because of that one article. So, there are other benefits to Digg other than immediate gain as NCMedia said.

trafficnotice, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  6. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You should target social networks related to your niche ;)
    We can tons of traffic from social networks, and they do come back time and time again. We get several sign ups, and a few banner clicks here and there.

Here is a small list of social networks, maybe you can fine one that suits your niche better then digg or stumble.

Brandon Sheley, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  7. gocubs19

gocubs19 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very well said, it's definitely a lot of things.

gocubs19, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  8. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    "It's traffic"

It's no good if they don't come back.

"it's linkbacks"

It's no good if it is buried DEEP in the site. And even still....

"it's awareness"

It's no good if they don't come to your site, and...come back!

"it's free"

Not if you spend a lot of time looking for good stuff to post, and you dont get anything back in return. Time is money.

"seo friendly"

Not if it is DEEP within the site, and even still....

But I will agree not all of it is garbage. In fact, if you have a nice content site, over half of the visitors may very well come back.

Perry Rose, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  9. Gazzerman

Gazzerman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Brand Identity

These people see your site even for just 2 seconds, then when you pay for advertising and they see it again they say to themselves I have seen this before, but I can think where and they are now more trustworthy/inquizitive of your site/product.

Just 1 example.

Gazzerman, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  10. chiouegi

chiouegi Banned

Best Answers:
    stumbleupon is responsible for over 300 pr2-pr4 links to my pr5 site
    digg has brought me over 42,000 unique hits this month to one of my blogs, the traffic is great now i can say to advertisers "Advertise on my blog since it gets over 40k uniques" (for example)

i get traffic from both stumbleupon and digg

chiouegi, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  11. tonybogs

tonybogs Peon

Best Answers:
    Awareness isnt about how long people stay on the site or wether they come back or not.

The idea being next time they see your brand itll be recognisable. This is how you grow a business, its the same reason I bid on my own brand names in adwords even though I rank at #1, to get the name as much exposure as possible.

Digg and Stumble are perfect for this

tonybogs, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  12. ichigo

ichigo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the traffic from digg/stumbleupon is not targeted and most of the digg users knows what adsense is.

ichigo, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  13. silveraden

silveraden Banned

Best Answers:
    Digg is beter than stumbleupon especially when your post is bookmarked...

silveraden, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  14. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I have found stumbles to be better than diggs. Neither is good quality, high bounce rate, but stumble users visit more pages.

Digg users generally visit a site to read the bookmarked page. They then leave to go back to digg and read more.

mikey1090, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  15. abhishekdaaga

abhishekdaaga Guest

Best Answers:
    Excellent this is what we get from SB sites and not al is garbage traffic even if 10% converts then u r lucky :)

abhishekdaaga, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  16. cosmocentral

cosmocentral Banned

Best Answers:
    If the average pageview is 1, chances are very slim those visitors will ever come back again.
    I know it goes with the number. I have 90000 visits (for example) per month, its feels good to say. Works very well if you do sell links.

cosmocentral, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  17. 10MinutesMax

10MinutesMax Peon

Best Answers:
    This thread is definitely an interesting read. Personally, anything that brings awareness of your site to people who normally wouldn't know where to find it is a good thing. As many have stated, it's free and it doesn't hurt.

10MinutesMax, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  18. cherry_yuya

cherry_yuya Active Member

Best Answers:
    I also don't understand why people deem social network traffic as garbage. When I hit the front page of Propeller (Netscape), my adsense revenue jumped to the roof, on top of that, I noticed that the bounce rate isn't high. The users were reading and browsing the site also.

StumbleUpon traffic is even better, they click ads, they subscribe and some of them even bother to leave comment.

cherry_yuya, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  19. jazzdrive3

jazzdrive3 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most of the SU visitors to my sites stick around for at least 2 to 3 pageviews.

jazzdrive3, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  20. Jason Green

Jason Green Peon

Best Answers:
    Jason Green, Nov 12, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.