1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the difference between a directory and ...

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Bernard, Nov 9, 2007.

a list of (categorized) paid links?

I really don't understand how some of you guys can build and maintain multiple directories.

Bernard, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  2. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    categories paid links are basically link farms according to some. many of us are guilty. Those with hundreds of directories are criminals unless they add sites and content to them and maintain good editorial standards.

mikey1090, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  3. lychee

lychee Active Member

Best Answers:
    link-farms were hit rather hard in the last pr update from what i've noticed.
    but i believe that they can better their position again just by adding quality original content with keywords around the links they already have listed.

lychee, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    No. The people who are suggesting this as a remedy have missed the point.

Google didn't penalize ALL directories, only some of them. What was different about the penalized directories and those not penalized? And which other directories got dinged in the subsequent algorithm and Toolbar PR update?

Directories hit:

1. they were blatantly selling links for PageRank
    2. they were involved in interlinking with their buddies' directories
    3. they lacked quality control - those who paid got listed - that was pretty much the only criterion

The purpose of a directory is to list other sites, i.e., links. That's what Yahoo does. That's what DMOZ does. That's what non-penalized smaller directories do. That's what directories are expected to do.

Adding content beyond the links is not going to help you one iota. What you need to do is rectify the things that got you penalized in the first place.

minstrel, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  5. werewe12

werewe12 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good advice Minstrel. If you want to make up with Google better fix the issues... However, if you want to make your visitors (and search engines)happy should listen to advice lots of people here post... "Content is King".

werewe12, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  6. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Whoever red marked me for "trolling" obviously hasn't been paying attention to my posting history and missed the point entirely. Why is it so hard for some folks in the DP directory forum to discuss issues of quality?

Bernard, Nov 11, 2007 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Don't worry about it, Bernard. Many of the directory owners at DP -- a self-styled in-crowd -- they don't seem to take very well to even a hint of criticism. I get it all the time.

Green coming to compensate. :)

minstrel, Nov 11, 2007 IP