1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phpBB vs. VBulletin

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Tmnoonan, Apr 7, 2007.

?

Which forum software is better?

1. phpBB

41 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. VBulletin

104 vote(s)
    71.7%
  1. yooozy

yooozy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that was with phpBB 2 yeah there's beed some bug and security problems now phpBB 3 is full fledged believe me

yooozy, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  2. Jackuul

Jackuul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Even when BB2 had problems - patches were released as soon as they could humanly be. If you didn't patch - its not BB's fault.

Jackuul, Nov 5, 2007 IP
    Yfcadmin likes this.
  3. epsilonstudios

epsilonstudios Peon

Best Answers:
    I've played around with vb and it really is great, but I'm loving BB3 and can't wait for final to release, no doubt there will be tonnes of mods. I think the cost is the deciding factor

epsilonstudios, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  4. dwrunyon

dwrunyon Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know about which one is "better", but I am really diggin phpBB3. They have done something majorly cool and given it to the world!

The thing I am liking most about 3 is the separation between php and HTML, which enables those like me who know no php, but do understand HTML, to be able to mod the look and feel significantly, and relatively easily. I've tried vbulletin and SMF, but had a tough time getting them to "behave" the way I was seeking... it was really easy to "mess things up" while trying to change the templates, but I almost feel like I have been able to more or less command phpBB3 to do as I wish (visually).

I am very, very grateful for all of the awesome work the phpBB group does, and again, gives to the world... that's a seriously cool spirit.

They have some cool little podcasts too! Bah... no live links for me yet:
    http://podcast.phpbb.com/

dwrunyon, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  5. dwrunyon

dwrunyon Peon

Best Answers:
    BTW... phpBB3 has an awesome new feature... if you are working on a reply, it can show you any replies that have already come in before you finished so you can decide whether or not to go ahead with yours. Beat that, vbulletin!

dwrunyon, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  6. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    phpBB sucks hard. phpBB 3 is still behind the times, I'll grant you it has a nice ACP, but it took way to long to update, and obviously doesn't have active developers. vBulletin is a bloated sofware - packing in so much crap that one in a hundred people will use (Social Networking in the next major release - come on).

And people assume just because vBulletin is paid software, it is better then everything else. The forum softwares I have commonly used in the past are:
    SMF
    IPB
    vB
    PHPBB
    MyBB

and MyBB is the best - nice layout, very user friendly for users (unlike SMF) and admins (unlike vB). vB does have a few more useful features than MyBB - but not $160 worth. And out of the 5 softwares I listed MyBB is the most secure, vBulletin, IPB and phpBB captures ave all been cracked. And since very few people use MyBB, you have the advantage right there. All those forum softwares have excellent support and addons, but you can't beat MyBB for support straight from the developers. And MyBB version 1.4 is set to be better than any forum software out there.

BP

blueparukia, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  7. Yfcadmin

Yfcadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @blueparukia: If you are toooo much fu*cked over about phpbb .... then why are you posting about it here. Its a Vb Vs phpbb thread... You dont have anything to post. Shut your mouth and going on with your beloved ( low class bb) Mybb... Sorry for the harsh words.

But if you want to compare you board ... then you can do it with mine.

Settle up your board ... give it the best SEO /Designing shot ... I'll show you mine ... let's see whose better..

Yfcadmin, Nov 11, 2007 IP
    Jackuul likes this.
  8. futhey

futhey Peon

Best Answers:
    Anyone who operates a large BB on any software and doesn't make automatic backups of the sql db is just asking for trouble. I wouldn't really fault phpBB for being less secure. Any freely available software is subject to being analyzed and hacked if someone is properly motivated to do so.

VBulletin Isn't a bad piece of software, There are many great forums running it, including this forum, BUT I really can't see a justification for the price.

Also, the phpBB forums, in my experience, provide a lot of useful help as far as support goes. At the end of the day, I think I would definately choose phpBB, especially with all of the new features in phpBB3.

futhey, Nov 11, 2007 IP
    Yfcadmin likes this.
  9. kewlchat

kewlchat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ive used phpbb alot but i never tried VBulletin yet but it looks nice..

Is there a free version of VBulletin ?

kewlchat, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  10. Shazz

Shazz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No theres not ...

Shazz, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  11. eKrib

eKrib Peon

Best Answers:
    I preffer phpbb over vbulletin.
    Sure you may need to mod it, but hey, its free :D

eKrib, Nov 11, 2007 IP
    Yfcadmin likes this.
  12. kewlchat

kewlchat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ya eKrib your right i couldnt agree more FREE is always better.. i also noticed a similar thread on my webhost and they are banning accounts that use illeagle vbulletin software.. they said vbulletin is getting tough on cracked versions of their forums..

kewlchat, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  13. banana

banana Banned

Best Answers:
    vbulletin, no questions asked.

banana, Nov 19, 2007 IP
  14. Bendo

Bendo Peon

Best Answers:
    SMF has had that since it 1.0 Beta 1 ;)

Bendo, Nov 19, 2007 IP
  15. Yfcadmin

Yfcadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I believe we all are supporting our replies with reason and not dumb folding ourselves.

Yfcadmin, Nov 19, 2007 IP
  16. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Notable Member

Best Answers:
    vbulletin is way better - it looks better too

peter_anderson, Nov 20, 2007 IP
  17. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    I operate a forum based on vBulletin, and yes, I believe it is one of the top scripts out there, and it may be pricey but I believe it is worth it, due to the amount of features already available on the script. vBulletin is very user friendly, and already comes really SEO friendly, a product developed by proffesionals, no doubts.

phpBB, I've used it on several projects, though I've had some bad experience with the previous version of phpBB, phpBB2. I believe it has a very bad spam protection against users' so I guess tweaking it to ask a simple CAPTCHA question on the registration wouldn't be such a bad idea.

phpBB3, I am planning to manage a new forum based on this system, I've had some time to go through the features, and I must say I'm amazed. phpBB has grown alot since the previous version, this one is so much friendlier and I just love the adminCP.

These are two powerful scripts, as phpBB is free and comes with a large userbase, it may be more common that hackers target this BB system. vBulletin may also get hacked, but it comes with more security, but hey, if you have some basic knowledge in PHP, it would take less than a hour to install some security modifications that are available on the phpBB products page.

Just my 2 cents.

Meti

WatchOut, Nov 20, 2007 IP
  18. profire

profire Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    vbulletin has a very robust code all around. It is very modular and can be tweaked any way you want it. Their support forums is 'par excelance' and unmatched by any other software communities.

profire, Nov 20, 2007 IP
  19. ca4nul

ca4nul Active Member

Best Answers:
    i just start using an other plateform which is YetAnotherForum. it seems good stable and opensource too. (i was searching opensource forum built on .net - so that i make changes time to time)

ca4nul, Nov 20, 2007 IP
  20. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    Just had a quick look at it, but it isin't my taste. I'll stick to vBulletin/phpBB :D

WatchOut, Nov 20, 2007 IP