1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Who should Rate Directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by britishguy, Nov 9, 2007.

?

Who should Rate Directories ?

1. Mr G ? or any other SE for that matter

14.3%
  2. PS or some other obscure 3rd party flawed system

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Any other trumped up rating system

2.4%
  4. None of those we should have our own Directory Sector Rating System

50.0%
  5. We do not need a Directory Rating System

33.3%
  1. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    None of those we should have our own Directory Sector Rating System.

DirectoryRate was something to look out for but after submitting 36towns in there a couple of weeks ago, i am yet to find it listed. I will be looking for something else.

Not only we need a tool to compare directories, we also need an association of directory owners, our own little group, our experts in the niche. To share goals, share opinions, share advice.

aspidov, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  2. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why do directory owners feel the need to have a directory "rated" and what do you hope to accomplish by having a rating? What difference do you think it'll make? And to whom?

Or is this just a search for some new way to trump up the perceived value of a directory to peddle more links?

CReed, Nov 9, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  3. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    CReed I think a rating can help attract customers and also help directory owners show off.

When you consider many restaurants and hotels often show pride in how many roses/stars/numbers they have, its a similar story with directory owners. Thats why in the past people used PR/PS to show their strength.

mikey1090, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  4. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The vote is moving away from 3rd party systems and the general opinion according to the votes is that no system or slightly more have opted for Directory Sector Rating System are the preferred choices

This is (imho) being realistic moving away from 3rd party who have multiple financial agendas and targets to meet that are best left to them, without them influencing a market that they having nothing to do with

Following closely how the future votes will go :cool:

britishguy, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  5. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's right ,but it is very difficult to rate directories on factors such as backlinks,link popularity etc.,

Freewebspace, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  6. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There is no option for "everyone", so I didn't vote. i think the best system is one where everyone has a chance to have a say in it.

Personally, I'm a big fan of constructive criticism. So the comments that people leave with their ratings are sometimes very useful, especially when they're broken down into different areas like design and submission time.

Obelia, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  7. wayner

wayner Peon

Best Answers:
    Not surprisingly I'll vote for our having our own system :)

Regarding 36towns, I am surprised that we missed your submission and will PM you to ensure your directory gets listed.

As for the DR update, we are currently in the process of modifying the ranking algo and once the modifications are complete we will run a full refresh of the DR ratings on all our listed directories, this refresh will be complete within the next 5 days so hang in there just a little longer.

Regarding the industry actually having its own directory rating system that everyone is happy with, I can tell you from experience that its not an easy thing to do, my system has had a mixed response varying in the extreme, right from "its just another back link checker and a load of sh!t" to "its the only thing I rely on".

After running the site for a few months now, I can say it is impossible to please all of the people all of the time, some like it, some don't, others are indifferent. Ratings of any sort are subjective by their nature, I guess if a few people find it useful than that's enough, hopefully, over time, we can convince a few more that its at least worthy of them taking a look now and then.

wayner, Nov 10, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  8. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    You can't please everyone but you can please most by being unbiased and not relying on opinions. not very easy task when some of the directories you rate are your advertisers, but good luck ;)

enQuira, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  9. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I think the people that use directories should rate directories...

Mia, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  10. LakeCountry

LakeCountry Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure what kind of rating system would really work. Anything new would take a long time to catch on and become accepted as the "standard". While most directory owners may eventually place some value on a rating system, I'm not sure now well it would be received by the masses (the folks that submit their sites).

I look at things like The BBB which was a good concept but IMO it has become a Good Ole Boys Club. You either pay to stay or your out and if your out you may look suspect to some.

I do think a rating system may be a good thing I just don't know how you would develop something that would be widely accepted. Simply placing a badge or something on you site wouldn't mean much till folks are educated and it earns respect and trust.

LakeCountry, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  11. wayner

wayner Peon

Best Answers:
    Well promoted and maintained directories also happen to be the same ones that spend money advertising... if the ones that advertise on the site happen to have a good rating, that is because their site earned it, our algo places no "preference" to advertisers, indeed advertisers come and go every month so it would be easy for others to spot such a tactic... and many more directories that don't advertise with us have very good ratings... you should do some research before making off the cuff, uneducated and nearing libelous insinuations.

wayner, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  12. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    I was not making insinuations I wanted just to emphasize on the fact that any credible rating should be unbiased. If yours is unbiased and based on an algorithm then great.

enQuira, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  13. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes that would be the best solution :cool:

britishguy, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  14. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    With a good rating system in place, directory owners will be able to see who is doing better than others and learn from them. It will help set new goals, new standards and help budget marketing more efficiently. Not only for chaicers and those at the end of the table, but for leading directories as well, it will motivate leaders to innovate.

And its not just about "show off". If you are against a show off, take off your alexa rank images, PR badges, directory top sites and other crap off your homepage that you use to sell "reviews". I will see where your business goes...

aspidov, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  15. pzelf

pzelf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    pzelf, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  16. vicdigi

vicdigi Banned

Best Answers:
    I can't say have the experience to match some of you folk here that have been in the directory market for
    years so I tend to watch, listen and learn from the best.

Moving on from that, it will be a difficult road to take. Look at Directory Critic - are they not doing a good job already. How do you move on to something larger than DC. Something that people say will be an unbiased rating system.

If there is a way to do it and is found then much respect and success to the individual or group of people who come up with the solution.

Either way - the critics (thats us) will be out in force.

For now I continue to listen and learn....

vicdigi, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  17. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    mikey1090, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  18. pzelf

pzelf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Mikey!
    I invest everything i earn (and more) into my directory, im about to rank on the first page in google for "web directory" :) ( been there, but competition is high) 40.000 backlinks and rising!

pzelf, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  19. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    the people who are using the directories should rate directories !!

smub, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  20. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think this whole discussion is approaching the question from the wrong angle. Anyone (or any group) who is interested can build a rating system and promote it. It's the web community - submitters/webmasters, seos, etc. - that will decide if the rating system has any merit/value.

Bernard, Nov 12, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.