1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Playing With BL's Again or Still?

Discussion in 'Google' started by lowrider14044, Nov 2, 2004.

OK...after recent BL update my links about trippled. New BL numbers were showing in BL Tracker, McDar's and in main Google as of yesterday. Today their showing in BL Tracker and McDar's but in Google they've reverted back to pre-update numbers. Anyone else seeing this?

lowrider14044, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Sounds like datacentre discrepency to me. Have you used the McDar datacentre tool?

T0PS3O, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  3. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    Yes. All data centers other then a couple not reporting are all showing the new numbers. So is Shawn's BL tracker. It's apparently only directly in Google where it shows old data. Same with Google tool bar. Tool bar shows old data also. Strange since all the data centers have the new numbers? Oh well....It's Google. :)

4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Perhaps it's your browser (small chance but happened to me before too). It could be reading an old cache. Wipe all temp files etc. and give it a shift-F5 refresh (if IE).

Just some ideas.

T0PS3O, Nov 2, 2004 IP
    lowrider14044 likes this.
  5. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    OK..That's strange. I cleared all caches, off-line content, cookies and everything I could think of and it still shows old numbers in IE. But when I check using FireFox it shows the new numbers? How the hell could IE be showing an old cache after everythings deleted and it was showing the right numbers yesterday? It's a conspiracy. MS and Google are trying to drive me crazy. :)

PS: Thanks for suggesting it might be the browser. I would have never thought of that.

6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Mozilla based browsers sometimes add an additional string to the search URI. Play with that and see if it matters. I can't remember the exact stuff but we had a thread here before where we say different results on different machines and configurations and also with different variables in the URI. (Something like client=mozilla it adds sometimes, dunno why they would want to discriminate between the two...)

T0PS3O, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  7. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    How did you empty your cache? THe best way to do it is go straight thru the temporary internet files folder and delete the files manually: *not* thru the browser itself. All files do not get deleted this way. Make sure your browser is closed as well. Sometimes after doing it manually; a reboot is in order as well.

flawebworks, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  8. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    And in additional, some routers/proxy servers somehow keep a sneaky cache as well.

T0PS3O, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  9. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    I give up. I've cleared the cache with IE as well as all the cache and temp files manually and re-started the computer. Still the same results directly in Google? I guess what's important is that Shawn's and McDar's tools are coming up with the right numbers and my serps are holding so I guess everything is OK?

10. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Show us your search... Let's see what we get.

T0PS3O, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  11. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    Ok...Here is what comes up in the address when I do the search for: Link:www.russian-liaisons.com through IE which comes up with 57 links

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=link:www.russian-liaisons.com&btnG=Google+Search

Here is what comes up in FireFox when I do the search and it comes up with 153 links? What is interesting is that if I copy the exact address from FireFox into IE it still comes up with 57 links in IE?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=link:www.russian-liaisons.com&btnG=Search

12. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    T0PS3O, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  13. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    Guess your right. Just have to wait and see what happens? Just in case anyone thinks I'm going crazy I copied part of the results directly from my browser. I'm really not going crazy and I haven't even had a drink. :)

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 57 linking to www.russian-liaisons.com. (0.10 seconds)

Russian Mail Order Brides 36 to 40 Years Old Top
    Beautiful Russian brides. Meet beautiful Russian ladies and Russian women for
    marriage. Free Contact Program.
    www.russian-liaisons.com/Russian-Ladies-36-40-top.htm - 4k - Cached - Similar pages

Russian Women 36 to 40 Years Old, Page 5
    Russian Brides - Beautiful Russian mail order brides women and ladies seeking
    men for love and marriage. Free First contact Program.
    www.russian-liaisons.com/Russian-Women-36-40-5.htm - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

www.russian-liaisons.com/russian-women/18-25/Russian-Bride-I-263.htm
    Similar pages

14. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    Just throw out the crappy IE thingy :D that you are using not even worth the hassle IMO .. stick to Firefox. ;)

payoutwindow, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  15. darqSHADOW

darqSHADOW Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like your ISP may have a caching proxy setup. Who are you using for your net service? There are times when these things are setup and you never realize it. (My office ISP has one, and it drives me insane trying to do SEO work from there, but at home it all works fine over my DSL.)

DS

darqSHADOW, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  16. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    I haven't thrown IE out but I'me using FireFox to get here right now. :) I'm using SW Bell DSL. I could accept the ISP caching if it wasn't for showing the correct numbers the past few days. That's what throws me.

To top it off now I just checked again using FireFox and Google has dumped 22 BL's it was reporting earlier today. :( Maybe they read the forum and decided that if that's what i thought I had they would start reverting back to it? :)

17. Tid

Tid Peon

Best Answers:
    Try IP address of a Google center rather than www.google.com
    Or just give it a few hours. Google is famous for such behavior

Tid, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  18. vintageagain

vintageagain Peon

Best Answers:
    One of my main sites BL went down the tubes for some reason. Had over 500+ and noy it reports "1" back link.. Several of the internal pages are casched but the home page can't get indexed to save it's life. Really confusing.. I've tried everything I know to get Google to see it, but now even the BL's have went bye bye.. :(

vintageagain, Nov 7, 2004 IP
  19. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    Google seems to be at it again. Yesterday they gave me back 10 of the backlinks they took away on the second. :) Almost 1/2 way there to getting back to where I started after the last update. :) Anyone else see any changes over the weekend?

lowrider14044, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  20. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Lou, I think you are worrying (obsessing) WAY too much over what are really normal fluctuations in (a) Google SERPs and (b) Google link: results.

All that really matters is where you appear in search engine rankings for search tems that people might use to find your site. Stop obsessing about backlinks and PR and focus on tweaking and improving your site to rank better -- and by that I do include site structure, navigation, and content. It will not help you to rank well if when people click on the Google link they find a site that doesn't grab them and encourage them to stay a while.

minstrel, Nov 8, 2004 IP