Top 7 Reasons Why New Directories Fail

Discussion in 'Directories' started by slashpix, Nov 8, 2007.

Hello directory owners,

I wrote a new article on Directory Kit: Top 7 Reasons Why New Directories Fail. Please check it out and leave your thoughts and ideas by commenting on both the forum and the directory blog.

Sneak Peek:

----

As a matter of fact, new directories have a high failure rate - high enough that I am scared of. According to my personal research and calculations as many as 70 to 80 percent of new directories fail in their first quarter of existence. In fact, I know far more people who could not establish a profitable directory than a number of people who actually do.

The following mistakes are the most important common causes of directory failures:

Read the article for more details...

---

Thanks,

Slashpix

slashpix, Nov 8, 2007 IP
    banless, poseidon and Ibn Juferi like this.
  2. mywebsearches

mywebsearches Peon

Best Answers:
    While your article has important point to think about, it is incomplete because is does not provide a solution.

Are you planning to have another article on how not to fail?

mywebsearches, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  3. slashpix

slashpix Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, in order not to fail, you should do exactly the opposite of what is written there. If more people demand for such an article, I will write it for sure.

slashpix, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  4. dargre

dargre Peon

Best Answers:
    That's normal.
    I do also know far more people who wish to be a president of US than a number of people who actaulally do (1). :D

dargre, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  5. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The article was a little confusing, for example:

I am not sure what relationship you are refering to above, how does lack of experience have anything to do with niche directories being more successful?

Also 'lack of experience' and 'Lack of expertise' are pretty much the same thing....I did not read further.

jg123, Nov 8, 2007 IP
    NeoGen likes this.
  6. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    For the most part I think your article was right on point. But let's not forget some of the other reasons new directories fail.

1. Lack of Promotion: No directory will survive without solid promotion and advertising.

2. Lack of Trust from Site Owners & Webmasters: It is very hard to succed in any business when you first start out. Most site owners and webmasters like to stick to directory owners that they trust will do a good job of keeping the directory up to par. So in a since it is easier for some of the more respected members here to get submissions right off the jump if they start a new directory than it would be for someone that is new to the market. I know it sucks, but that is just how it is in any market.

3. Pricing: Most new directories do not know how they should price for a review fee. Some start to high or to low. Starting high without anything to back it up draws a red flag, as it shows that you are most likely a greedy owner who only cares about getting as much as you can from others. Starting to low shows that you are just out for a quick buck and could care less who submits as long as they paid.

Just food for thought. Nice article and rep added.

banless, Nov 8, 2007 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  7. slashpix

slashpix Banned

Best Answers:
    They are not the same! Lack of expertise refers to person's actual knowledge, while experience refers to period of time the expertise is being applied.

slashpix, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  8. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Elaborating on your second reason — Unappealing-looking design speaks immediately to the viewer of a lack of professionalism. When the home page of a directory fails the simple "first-glance" test, most viewers will conclude that the directory is not worth investing in.

Jim4767, Nov 8, 2007 IP
    banless likes this.
  9. digitalduke

digitalduke Notable Member

Best Answers:
    IMO, There is also huge competitions for new directory. Sticking to Absolute Quality helps maintaining the reputation of Directory.

digitalduke, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  10. zorah

zorah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good point on:

This applies to many areas aswell (any website or ecommerce) or even offline businesses..
    People buy based from trust and confidence..

zorah, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  11. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    Good article Slash. To me the single biggest reason of failure of directories is lack of promotion. It doesn't matter if you have designed the Best Directory in the world, if no one knows it. I also feels people are lacking imagination while coming up with directories. Everyone thinks they are quick money making formula. Well, they are NOT.

poseidon, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  12. Business Blogger

Business Blogger Peon

Best Answers:
    Directories fail because they don't differentiate themselves from the competition. You can't have 100 7-11's on the same street. It just doesn't work. You have to throw in an Exxon TigerMart every once in a while.

You can take that to the bank.

Business Blogger, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  13. cool_78

cool_78 Guest

Best Answers:
    For me the biggest factor is lack of expertise. It is hard to start a directory if you don't know what you are doing in the first place.

cool_78, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  14. juniper

juniper Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for informations
    i wanna add ..
    directories must have related backlinks ,and you have to spend money for it...
    and stay away matt cutts spam team glance...
    and a little bit chance you could get pr5 or 6 very soon.

juniper, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  15. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of people are talking in terms why did the directory fail. A directory is inert and can not fail, what can happen however is the person running it can fail.

But that term in itself is flawed, nothing can fail if you stay commited to the project, it is only deemed a failure when you give up, not because there has been a problem. All business has problems and the people who work through them become sucessful in what they do.

The bigger problem is people who use terms like " I will give it a try " or they have read some crappy make mega $ story in a E book that says a directory will make $ then overnight in what i call a $2 management decision decide to start one with no planning, or giving it a go type attitude.

When people use the term Try, it allows them to take the get out of the back door option. " O well i tried but directories don't work", this however is not the case as it was the person who did not work.

To help avoid these things from happening and to run a sucessful directory, Plan first as best you can, then once completed if you can walk away for a short time and devote your mind space to alternate thinking.

Revisit the idea / project at the end of your time space and if you are still exited and keen start your directory, be prepared to stop, change, update as you move forward and learn, finally remember not to give up over a few errors or set backs, and that you do not start the the project to try it, start it to do it, with no out gate. :)

DownUnder, Nov 9, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  16. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A few I get a kick out of. LOL :D

Can’t speak or write English well enough to edit submissions.

Unwilling or financially unable to competitively market a directory.

Does not invest the time to add quality content to the directory.

Have no editorial integrity.

Thinks directories should be no more than three topics deep.

Have directories as an index page topic. LOL:eek:

Operates from a slow and unreliable hosting service.

stoner3221, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  17. 1millionurls

1millionurls Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks i am a new directory, but not a new webmaster, and if you were a baseball player you would be reggi jackson hitting the ball out of the park.....

Thanks

1millionurls, Nov 9, 2007 IP