1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

On Page Text vs. Alt Text

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by ViciousSummer, Sep 9, 2004.

I'm looking to redesign the index page of www.hustlerpanties.com and I want to take a more graphic approach. I'm just wondering if it will make a big impact (in the SEO sense) if I take down all the on-page text and replace it with graphics/alt text. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

ViciousSummer, Sep 9, 2004 IP
  2. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you thinking of removing ALL of the on page text?

In my limited experience with sites with no text (text within graphics only) on the index I've found it slightly more difficult to place well using off page optimization.

There was one site in particular that I couldn't get out of the 30 - 40 range in the serps. When I added some text to the index page (the existing text was part of an image) I shot up into the top 15 within 3 weeks without modifying or adding to any of the off page work I had done.

I think with more off page work I could have achieved the same results, but the on page text brought a quick boost and imo saved me a bunch of off page work.

GuyFromChicago, Sep 9, 2004 IP
    schlottke likes this.
  3. arestia

arestia Peon

Best Answers:
    depends on what fonts you want to choose for the image text.

if your ok with web fonts then i would recomend using bg images, tables and css to forma your text on top of background images which would let you have the graphical layout but keeping the text on the site.

arestia, Sep 9, 2004 IP
  4. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Yes, I want to remove the majority of on-page text, just on the index page. I like the way this site: trashy.com is laid out (graphically) and it also ranks #2 for search term "lingerie". So I'm thinking it can't hurt too bad to take the text off the index page...right?

5. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    That's a good idea (I never even thought of doing it that way)! Although, I'm looking to use fonts that are a bit more "exciting". For example, here is one of the images I've created that I want to incorporate into my index layout.

Attached Files:

6. arestia

arestia Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah for your purpose i think you should go with the graphical based images for the index. i think it probly wont effect your search engine rankings and if it does then you gain the happyness of probly driving more sales and conversions with the images.

specialy cause of the topic of your site :)

arestia, Sep 9, 2004 IP
  7. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    From my experiences ALT Text doesn't perform well in google *unless* it is attached to a link.. could be wrong on that as it is very limited study.

schlottke, Sep 9, 2004 IP
    T0PS3O likes this.
  8. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    I do plan on linking all of the images, so hopefully that will help :D .

9. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    It's been over a month since I switched my index page to 99% graphics with very little text, and it hasn't hurt my rankings at all. Just thought I would share that in case any one else was afraid to take text off of their pages. :D

ViciousSummer, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  10. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    But doesn't it now only rank for the optimized words? I mean, probably just the anchor text KWs aiming at it?

I assume it ranks worse for KW combo's that used to be on there...

Any data on this?

T0PS3O, Oct 29, 2004 IP
    schlottke likes this.
  11. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    Not really. I rank pretty well for KW's that I have very few anchor text links. I'm assuming the SE's are picking up on the alt text behind the graphics.

It sure doesn't. Which is why I thought it was interesting :D .

ViciousSummer, Oct 29, 2004 IP
  12. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    In that case, it is interesting!

But I personally wouldn't gamble on it for future placement because I think the algo's will get more sophisticated based on language interpretation. Without text, there's nothing to go by for them. Alt text is likely to be valued lower than on page visual text.

It might not be like that right now, hence your nice results, but I think (and even hope (not for you of course)) they will go down that route.

T0PS3O, Oct 29, 2004 IP
  13. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    ALT text in IMG tags is not indexed by Google unless it is also a link.

- Michael

Michael, Oct 29, 2004 IP
  14. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Which she has done... :)

schlottke, Oct 29, 2004 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  15. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    I think you may be afraid of change ;)...hehe...I'm kidding. But seriously, I think that as web design becomes more complex, the search engines need to be able to properly index graphic sites as well as ones with text every where. It would be silly to "ding" a site because it's visually pleasing. For example, my site is not offering anything less now that the index page has a bunch of graphics (which makes it easier to navigate imo), so why should it be ranked lower then a site that is rich in anchor text? If I remember correctly, Google has been working on reading javascript, right?

I think that alt text (as long as the graphic is linked) ranks similarly with anchor text.

I don't think that sites with more graphics will be ranked higher then other sites, I just think that SE's treat them equally. ;)

ViciousSummer, Oct 29, 2004 IP
    T0PS3O likes this.
  16. clubmedia

clubmedia Peon

Best Answers:
    i think on page is best important

clubmedia, Nov 6, 2004 IP
  17. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Alt Anchor Text wouldn't really have a reason for being valued lower- it provides the same usefulness as a text link w/ the name in it.

schlottke, Nov 6, 2004 IP