1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Quotes about religion

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by homeloans1, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    “Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.”
    Seneca (Roman philosopher, mid-1st century AD)

“Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.”
    Steven Weinberg

“The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
    Georgia Harkness

“Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" Priest: "No, not if you did not know." Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"”
    Annie Dillard quotes (American Author. Won a Pulitzer prize for Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, 1975. b.1945)

“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
    Sinclair Lewis quotes (American Writer, 1885-1951)

“No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says: He is always convinced that it says what he means”
    George Bernard Shaw (Irish literary Critic, Playwright and Essayist. 1925 Nobel Prize for Literature, 1856-1950)

“Religion is as helpful as throwing a drowning man both ends of a rope”
    Anonymous

“For seventeen hundred years the Christian sect has done nothing but harm”
    Voltaire (French Philosopher and Writer. One of the greatest of all French authors, 1694-1778)

“Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines.”
    Bertrand Russell (English Logician and Philosopher 1872-1970)

“People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.”
    Dave Barry (American Writer and Humorist best known for his weekly newspaper column. b.1947)

Source: http://thinkexist.com/quotations/religion/

homeloans1, Nov 7, 2007 IP
    iul likes this.
  2. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    One comment.... +REP :D

astup1didiot, Nov 7, 2007 IP
  3. Toopac

Toopac Peon

Best Answers:
    As an Atheist i can see some really great quotes.

Toopac, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  4. proteindude

proteindude Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    VOLTAIRE: Voltaire, the 18th century French atheist who was one of the greatest writers of his time, weilded a bitter pen against Christianity. in a moment of triumph he once boasted, "In twenty years Christianity will be no more. My single hand shall destroy the edifice it took twelve apostles to rear."
    But Voltaire's arrogance was swallowed up on his death. he died, in his own words, "abandoned by God and man." [Hopefully no one on this web site will follow Voltaire in death!]
    Shortly after his death, the very house in which Voltaire wrote was made depot of the Geneva Bible Society! Thousands upon thousands of Bibles have been printed and distributed around the world from this place!
    Our Lord Jesus Christ quotes Isaiah when He says, "The grass withers and the flowers fades, but the Word of our God shall stand forever!"
    "The fear of the Lord", not Voltaire or naturalistic humanism, "is the beginning of knowledge." (Proverbs 1:7) (http://www.iidb.org/vbb/archive/index.php/t-1097.html)

Another quote about religion from Ingersoll, a very famous atheist: Ingersoll a well-known atheistic writer referring to Jesus: "With Renan, I believe Christ was the one perfect man. <Do unto others what you would that they should do unto you> is the perfection of religion and morality. It is the summum bonum. It was loftier than the teachings of Socrates, Plato, Mohammed, Moses or Confucius. It superseded the commandments that Moses claimed to have gotten from God, for with Christ's <do unto others> there could be no murder, lying, covetousness, or war"

As a Christian, I sometimes (very rarely though) find myself agreeing with atheists. Ingersoll is one of those rare occassions.

proteindude, Nov 8, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.