1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Working Too Much & Hard, What's Best to do for Free Time?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Scott Botkins, Dec 17, 2005.

Hello Everyone,

Recently I've found myself working a lot which I knew was going to happen as I started my own web design business. I just turned 20 last weekend and now I'm worried I'm going to be working this hard for the rest of my life and won't have time for a serious relationship or even time to just go out and shoot some hoops like I used to do everyday.

What I was wondering is what do some of you do on your free time and how much time do you usually take off during the day or week to just relax and get away from it all?

Thanks & Happy Holidays!
    Scott

Scott Botkins, Dec 17, 2005 IP
  2. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well if you're twenty years old, self employed, and working hard you will probably not have to work hard for the rest of your life. You clearly have a better head on your shoulders than most people around our age(I'm 23) so more than likely you will be able to retire in your thirties if you invest and save money wisely. Most people who work hard in their 20s and become self employed became millionaire's by their thirties.

As far as free time, I work Mon-Fri and take Sat and Sun off. In my free time I like reading Science/Technology/Economics books, as well as science fiction.

I mostly play video/computer games. Right now I'm playing Command & Conquer, Tiberian Sun, Anachronox, and Tactical Ops.

I don't go out much. Not much to do and you just end of wasting money. My life seems to be spent mostly indoors. Video games, Movies, Music, and reading predominates my time. Once my business begins bringing in enough cash, I will travel a bit.

tesla, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  3. forumbulge

forumbulge Guest

Best Answers:
    If you really think that, then you are sadly mistaken. ;)

forumbulge, Dec 19, 2005 IP
    itsme likes this.
  4. apblake

apblake Peon

Best Answers:
    I will just echo the sentiment expressed that being self employed leads to economic success at an early age. The fact of the matter is that most small businesses fail and plenty that succeed never make the owners millionaires.

apblake, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  5. jeeplaw

jeeplaw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First, kudos to you for being self-employed. It's an amazing feeling to get a lot out of what you put into your own business. That being said, you really need to be self conscious about how much time you spend working. It's tough, because if you're anything like me you're always in front of the computer.

However, set time aside and schedule it if you're not dedicated enough to do iton the fly. I know throughout the day I need to go to the gym, run/row, play some Warcraft online with my girlfriend and watch a little t.v.

Since I train as a powerlifter/bodybuilder at the gym, I try to allocate 7-8 hours worth of sleep into my schedule too..lol, but with running my own web content firm and providing some copyediting services to my own writers and dealing with my offline job as well- sleep time becomes challenging. Oh, and I need to schedule my 5-7 meals a day too.

So what this all leads up to is scheduling scheduling scheduling if you can't be proactive and dedicated enough to do it on the fly. And if you have a girlfriend who is constantly telling you to 'get off the computer' and come watch television, take that into consideration too ;)

Just remember, don't burn out on your work- there's more to life than just that

jeeplaw, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  6. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    forumbulge, I disagree with you entirely. Most 20 year olds owe thousands of dollars in loans/credit cards, have children, or are doing nothing with their lives.

I'm 23, and I'm working my butt off right now. Believe me, I have more money than most people my age with excellent credit and a college degree, and I didn't need "mommy and daddy" to help me. Hell, "daddy" left me when I was a kid.

The internet webmaster industry is a boom. It is changing the structure of business. Thats why you see so many people from India going into seo.

How much can you sell a PR 6 site for that gets millions of visits per day that you built five years ago? Enough said. If I keep my sites for about five years and sell them all, I will become a millionaire and anyone else who works hard.

Most people don't know how to use a computer, let alone build a site from scratch and use seo to market it. Technology is changing, and those on the cutting edge(like many people in this forum) are going to reap the benefits.

tesla, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  7. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamerâ„¢

Best Answers:
    If the weather is nice I take a day off and go paragliding and if I only have a few hours I'll go skiing.

Roman, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  8. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Get a Harley and ride with the local Harley Owners Group on weekends.

noppid, Dec 19, 2005 IP
    itsme likes this.
  9. chrisd

chrisd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Scott,

Your concern is a very valid one and it shows that you are a pretty aware person.

Don't worry to much about the future, you most likely will adjust on your own, the imbalances you might experience.

3 important factors, to help stay balanced:
    Family
    Friends (all types, funny, interesting, long-term, short-term ..etc...)
    Stay creative/interested/interesting

A cocktail once in awhile (when you turn 21) will also help.;)

chrisd, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  10. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd say get away from the computer as much as possible.:D

Hard work is overated.

Eat healthy. Get strong. Take long evening walks in the sunset with someone special. Enjoy the gifts of nature. Forgive others and forgive yourself.

Hon Daddy Dad, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  11. lewney

lewney Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Scott,

First of all be proud that you get so many orders that you have to say "no" to some of them!
    Second of all: if you have to say "no", why not pay somebody else to work for you (students are cheap-o). Wealthy people learn to delegate as we are limited in the amount of work we can do individually.

Just my 2 (euro)cents

lewney, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  12. anton-io!

anton-io! Active Member

Best Answers:
    sending out congrats!

When possible, spend time away from the computer - go outside, get air, buy powertools, build a doghouse, build a garden, pretend to be a student and sit in on a class, volunteer and give back, help others ... visit Canada & have a cocktail anytime!

have fun!

anton-io!, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  13. albemarle24

albemarle24 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with others. Time away is essential, especially getting out and doing something that involves a little exercise and distraction. Otherwise burnout is almost a certainty. Learning to pace yourself is not something that happens overnight.

albemarle24, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  14. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    Volunteer.

Find a charity that you can just 'pop-in' when you want, and doesn't require continued activity. I typically use "me" time to help build houses for Habitat For Humanity. I can tell them when I'm available, and they can tell me where they need help.

Nice to work off stress pounding nails into wood. ;)

hth,

tom

TommyD, Dec 30, 2005 IP