1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

help cannot get listed in DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by fergald, Nov 5, 2007.

Hi,

i am approximately 4 years trying to get my site listed on dmoz, i have fullfilled all the requirement,

Unique content - i write all courseware with another professional writer
    tried to put it in http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Education/Courses/Online/Fee_Based/
    and / or
    http://www.dmoz.org/Reference/Education/Distance_Learning/Online_Courses/

I then entered all the details as required giving all the information that is required, but yet i still can't get listed.

Two weeks ago i noticed in my logs a visit from a dmoz member and still i can't get listed.

what am i doing wrong, its annoying for people trying to release genuine content of their own. DMOZ wants unique sites but does it really.

can anyone shed some light on this - please dont reply just forget it - i have tried for 4 years.

I will carry on my usual marketing strategies but theirs got to be some way of getting some feedback.

Kindest Regards
    Fergal.

fergald, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  2. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is just about dead. They have been riddled with problems and in my opinion, you are wasting your time and stress. Spend that and stress and building good back links from related niche sites. Work on keeping your site updated and full of original content.

DMOZ was once one of the most coveted by webmasters, now it is not worth the wait or the hassle to try and get listed.

allout, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Forget about it ;)

When was the last time you tried, and how many times have you tried this year (and only this year, anything before this year no longer counts)?

Also, what was the site (if you don't mind sharing)? As no one can really tell you why, unless they know what.

Qryztufre, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  4. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Same opinion, to me it is dead, doesn't really matter, the in thing now is Google.

wisdomtool, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  5. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Timely message. I was clearing the backlog in Computers: Education: Courses: Online: Fee Based. Didn't see your site in the backlog, but it fits with the others I was adding... so it's in. Not sure how long it takes to show up on the public side.

Then again these guys are all sure a dmoz link's worthless... so it'll probably actually reduce your hits. LOL. Let me know if it hurts your traffic. ;)

I was astounded at the number of sites submitted (recently) that are already gone... either domain parked or 404. Must be a tough biz. Good luck.

robjones, Nov 5, 2007 IP
    amanamission and compostannie like this.
  6. Overclock099

Overclock099 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ need your money to get listed.. Its not free..:rolleyes:

Sorry: This post not refer to all Dmoz editor..Only certain..

Overclock099, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  7. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry overclock, you musta been busy adding the jab while I was telling him I'd added his site.

Talk about accidentally ruining your post. Should I go back and ask for money so you don't look silly? ;)

robjones, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  8. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    There's no point in saying this, it just makes you look stupid and bitter. Although I'm no longer an editor I've listed many thousands of sites and didn't get paid a penny, nor did I receive any favors.

God gave you a brain. Use it please. ;)

compostannie, Nov 5, 2007 IP
    robjones likes this.
  9. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    It's always fun to see non editors answer questions about the ODP, :D.

An editor may have been checking to see if your suggestion was submitted to the correct category or if it needed to be moved to another category, or it could have been one of our automated tools that check to see if the URL was live or if it had expired.

One of the requirements is that you submit your site suggestion one time to the most appropriate category you can find, not to every category you can think of, :). If you've submitted the site this year, then there is nothing else you can do. It's waiting with 40,000 - 50,000+ other site suggestions, so, just forget about it.

What you consider unique content, and what an editor considers unique content (for the category) might be quite different.

No, we don't want unique sites, we want sites that have some "unique content" on them. If there are 10 sites, and they all contain the same information, why would a websurfer want to see the information 10 times? We look for sites that have something different than any other site has, information that would benefit the websurfer.

Most of the time, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a site, there just aren't any or enough volunteer editors who are interested in working in that area of the Directory. This is a hobby for all of us, not a job, and we do it in whatever free time we have available.

Not for a specific site suggestion, Fergal, we get tens of thousands of site suggestions, and we don't do site status checks, and even if we did it would not get a site suggestion listed any faster because we're not a listing service for site owners, :).

Jeez, everybody jumped in at once, :). Looks like Rob took care of it. Get him, Annie, <G>.

crowbar, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  10. amanamission

amanamission Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I see a lot of people complaining about long waits into DMOZ, I think the key is submitting to a category with an active editor. Usually it comes down to a judgment call, so if you look for the editor, you'll increase the chance that your site gets reviewed.
    I'm happy to see a couple of ODP listings for my quality sites, although I can't say I'm happy with the listing descriptions- I had to use the NOODP metatag to keep it from showing in the SERPs. The most recent one had a misspelling!
    But DMOZ listings are lovely, please keep them coming, the best part is all the other directories that pick up the links...and no, I have never bribed an editor or been bribed.
    Congratulations to the OP on your listing. Rep added for Robjones..

amanamission, Nov 5, 2007 IP
    robjones and compostannie like this.
  11. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Not really. The named editor in a category may only check in once a month and do little editing. :) There are always editors in higher cats, or guys like Rob who work in wide areas.

crowbar, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Crowbar is correct, it pretty much falls down to the luck of the draw.

Editors that have not logged in for months or that have been fired can still be seen as the editor for a category. I know that when I left, my name was listed for several weeks till someone else edited the category (effectively prompting the cat update).

The real trick to getting listed is to simply have a great site and then to have it submitted to the best category for that site.

Qryztufre, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  13. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Isn't this considered favoritism and you should be removed as editor now? :p

Maybe they where only trying to get domain listed at DMOZ so they could sell it for lots of money and give up? :D

Ivan Bajlo, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  14. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Of course not. Editors can harvest URLs from wherever they wish. TV ads, the backs of trucks and even external forums.

jimnoble, Nov 5, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Including webmaster forums and the like? Kinda makes one wonder how certain Editors got fired for favoritism at all :rolleyes:

Qryztufre, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  16. fergald

fergald Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi all,

First of all thanks to everyone for their replies, kindest regards to robjones for helping me with my listing. Also like to thank crowbar for the information provided. At the end of the day these guys do this work for free and we should remember this.

thanks again to all posters.
    Fergal.

fergald, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  17. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    You're welcome, Fergal. :)

crowbar, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  18. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to add my voice.

I wouldn't hesitate to list a good site I found on an outside forum, unless I'd been talking to them about it, and that's my personal quirk. Otherwise, any site that's out there is fair game for any editor, :D.

Forums are usually a gold mine of new sites, especially topical forums and clubs. It's a good way to build up a specialized category, like watergardens.

crowbar, Nov 6, 2007 IP