1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IE7 Pro Now With Ad Blocker By Default

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by darkp1x, Oct 30, 2007.

1. darkp1x

darkp1x Peon

Best Answers:
    and by the way - your volvo site anti ad blocking script works :)

"Sorry this page cannot be displayed correctly because adblocking software is effecting some of the content."

I forgot I had it on and was trying to view your site but it kept giving me errors.
    cheers
    dp

darkp1x, Oct 31, 2007 IP
  2. Adpubster

Adpubster Peon

Best Answers:
    You made the choice to go with a non-subscription (ie free) based model. The thing that gets me about these arguments is that the blockers are likely non-clickers anyway. If they want to block on my site, fine, that's their choice. Maybe that mentality comes from my content having started out on a .edu (bit different mindset) site about 20 years ago.

If by "leach" you mean use and learn from, then by all means go ahead, that was what the site was originally started for...if by "leach" you mean grab and copy for your own site's content (as the term is often used) then I find the irony pretty ironic...with apologies to Airplane! :)

Adpubster, Oct 31, 2007 IP
  3. totalmasala

totalmasala Banned

Best Answers:
    hmm! that is really bad news for Webmasters and publishers

totalmasala, Oct 31, 2007 IP
  4. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i heard it blocks popups but its blocks ads as well? this is crazy. i was so close to upgrading to 7, now i'm glad that i didn't

sultanofseo, Oct 31, 2007 IP
  5. leandar

leandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    someone tell this code can use for blogger blog ?

leandar, Oct 31, 2007 IP
  6. Archbob

Archbob Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its not affiliated with Microsoft, therefore it won't be significant.

Archbob, Nov 1, 2007 IP
  7. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the code snippet. Instead of not allowing people to view the site, I think I will do some logging on how many people that use my sites have ad blocking turned on. (Which should be coded into traffic programs for the future). That way I can work out a way to filter them the advertisements they can view. Sort of if the adsense isn't shown, so something else to them. Great little snippet of code. You should blog about it.

I have to admit, I am one of those leechers that has no script and adblock plus enabled. I don't click on advertisements 99% of the time and if I was interested in something an advertisement is selling I would search for the best price/ website at various other retail compare websites and not rely on an adwords advertisement. So, stopping them from viewing that site will only drive them away from your site to another site that might be offering almost the same thing as your site. That is what I would do. Click the back button and hit up the next site in the search, thus making your bounce rate increase and the time on site around 20 seconds and then making google devalue the search page for what I was looking for (bad seo).. Maybe after time it would cause you to loose SE placement. (worst case).

exodus, Nov 1, 2007 IP
    JoyGoRound likes this.
  8. Volvospeed

Volvospeed Active Member

Best Answers:
    But much like google, once more than half your traffic is direct you can pretty much do what you want and start making trends instead of following them

Volvospeed, Nov 1, 2007 IP
  9. vahsi000

vahsi000 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From what i've gathered and understood from this thread:
    1. 99% of internet users aren't going to start blocking ads overnight (not unless it comes standard with a microsoft IE upgrade).
    2. I believe this script doesn't work with FF's adblock plus plugin!
    3. Is there a way to modify this script to suggest them to take up FF with google toolbar (using Google Referal) & potentially make money (instead of blocking them straight away, why not give them a second chance?).
    4. Is it against Google TOS to do this? (Google might in a sense see this as forcing the person to signup for the referal, as i believe your not allowed to ask people to click on your google adsense ads.)

Stay tuned for more info/questions! ;)

vahsi000, Nov 3, 2007 IP
    JoyGoRound likes this.
  10. mturok

mturok Peon

Best Answers:
    I am able to view the forum. I am using IE7 with IE7 pro [adblock not selected], adblock pro installed, Vista Home Premium. Does this mean script doesn't work with adblock pro.

mturok, Nov 22, 2007 IP