1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

.com's or .net's

Discussion in 'Google' started by owsolution, Oct 31, 2007.

1. jagannath_4all

jagannath_4all Peon

Best Answers:
    what about country tlds.. will it get preference for keywords which have the country name ??

jagannath_4all, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  2. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not really, .co.uk for instance though does tell users that the site is based in the UK, or at least suggests that it is... however if it's hosted in the UK it will come up higher when you click "pages from the UK".

The domain extension is really only for the benefit of the user it seems, and it is thought to be pretty much irrelevant to search engines - as has been repeated ad naseum in this thread already. :)

P.S. The extensions shouldn't be dismissed as unimportant though, just because Google et al ignore it.

Astroman, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  3. corlock

corlock Banned

Best Answers:
    this makes no sense at all. how and when did domain extension name affects the ranking of a certain site? wow...

corlock, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  4. Astroman

Best Answers:
    I don't know what you are talking about, no one said that it did?

Astroman, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  5. tapantico

tapantico Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe that in the case of traditional TLDs (.com - .net - .org) which one is used by a web site doesn't affect its rankings on the search results.

However, I believe that in the case of the rest of the TLDs and more specifically in the case of country TLDs, its rankings can be affected according to which is the "official" language of the country from where the search is made. In other words... a web site using a domain .es will have a better ranking than a site using a domain .tw, if you make the search from a country where the official language is Spanish.

Need confirmation?

In the next example, a search is made using the highly competitive keyword "prada", one of the most famous brands of clothes, purses, shoes, etc.

When I make the search on 3 different versions of Google, each one being used in a country with a different official language, France, Germany & Taiwan, the search results in every case include web sites using domain TLDs associated with the specific language of every country.

Click on the following links to see the results:

Google France

http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=prada&btnG=Recherche+Google&meta=

Google Germany

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=prada&btnG=Google-Suche&meta=

Google Taiwan

http://www.google.com.tw/search?complete=1&hl=zh-TW&q=prada&btnG=Google+搜尋&meta=

It looks very clear to me! :cool:

tapantico, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  6. Astroman

Best Answers:
    All 3 of those bring up .com first?

Astroman, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  7. newworks

newworks Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn't seem that having a .net opposed to a .com really matters a lot. Most people do searches for what they are looking for. And if they did choose to type in your website address it would be because they have been there before and more then likely your .net website address will automatically show up in there browser once they start keying in the address or if they are frequent visitors they would have it in there favorites.

newworks, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  8. Brennan

Brennan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It doesn't make a different, it's just because there are more .coms than .nets and if someone was going to spend lots of money to get a good rank they would probably buy the .com :)

Brennan, Nov 3, 2007 IP
    bogart likes this.
  9. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed it doesn't make a difference. A lot of the .coms are older and have more authority and quality backlinks.

The only advantage with a .com is the higher resale value if it's a good domain name.

bogart, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  10. tapantico

tapantico Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, first positions for the 3 searches are all .com but in the following positions there are country TLDs that are associated with the language of the country from where supposedly the search was made.

There are 3 .fr in the top ten of the search results of Google France, there are 7 .de in the top ten of the search results of Google Deutschland and there is one .tw and one .cn in the search results of Google Taiwan.

All I'm saying is that having a country TLD helps you get in the top ten results for searches made from countries where the language spoken is the same corresponding language of your country TLD.

tapantico, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  11. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They rank the same, you see .com because its much more common that .net.

login, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  12. Astroman

Best Answers:
    It isn't true though, I've experimented with this. The reason the .fr ones appear near the top of the French Google is because they have ip addresses inside France, the .fr might help solidify their spot but I doubt it - if they were hosted in the United States I don't think they would do so well in the search results for French sites, not based on the URL anyway. The French content might do it though. :)

Astroman, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  13. nixways

nixways Peon

Best Answers:
    people like .com google also..

nixways, Nov 4, 2007 IP
  14. earticles

earticles Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was contacted by an auction website like 7-8 months ago being notified that the e-articles.net is available. But why paying like $15,000+ to buy an expired (and maybe bad history!) domain name at an auction website while my actual .info is playing extremely well? I replyed them telling to find other dummies for their "friendly" offer. It is not worth at all. Having a .com or .net is just an old fashioned trend :) More than that, a .info plays very well for a site containing information.

I agree, a "beautiful" .com or .net or .org is ok to get if you find it free at the moment of registration but no way to buy it for .extension while other tlds are still unregistered for the same "beautiful" domain name. Anyway, it's very important to follow the main purpose of your website too.

earticles, Nov 4, 2007 IP
  15. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The URL for this seems to have changed but this was from a previous FAQ on the Google site:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/webmasters/faq.html#country

minstrel, Nov 4, 2007 IP
  16. tapantico

tapantico Peon

Best Answers:
    They're talking about duplicate content here, but it's interesting what they say about TLDs.

From Google Help Center:

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66359&query=specific+country&topic=&type=

tapantico, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  17. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That's true. On the other hand, my own experience combined with previous research, coupled with other Google statements, says that the domain extension is not the only factor.

At one time a couple of years ago, I was promoting two Canadian sites, one hosted in the US with a .ca domain and the other hosted in Canada with a .com domain. Both ranked well (top 5) in google.ca and I really couldn't see any difference in difficulty in getting them ranked.

Other research (not personal experience) suggested that on page content such as addresses was also considered in regional rankings. For example. whatever the domain extension, if the site content prominently features a Canadian address, this seems to help with ranking in google.ca.

FWIW.

minstrel, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  18. WebmasterWanabe

WebmasterWanabe Peon

Best Answers:
    Does that work the same with the .WS domains I have about 6 real good ones not sure what to do with them.:confused:

WebmasterWanabe, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  19. Gatorade

Gatorade Peon

Best Answers:
    The search engines don't care what the tld is.

It's all about incoming links. You'll be just fine getting a .net.

Gatorade, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  20. enous

enous Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that's right...the .com ,.net ......really nothing ..except .gov,.edu

enous, Nov 5, 2007 IP