1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any ideas how to get a good and clean site included in DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by DomainMagnate, Dec 16, 2005.

Hello there,

I've got a nice site, without too many ads and with high quality content, any ideas how to get it in quickly?

P.S.: please don't suggest me to submit it, I done that few times already ;)

DomainMagnate, Dec 16, 2005 IP
  2. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Yikes, I was going to say make sure you pick the right category and only suggest it once... too late for that.

Good title, guideline compliant description, find the correct category, and submit your suggestion one time only.

compostannie, Dec 16, 2005 IP
    DomainMagnate likes this.
  3. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I guess what I'm asking is if there's any editor here who can review my site... :)

4. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    You have to have an editor respond who can access the category where you site was submitted. Not all editors are able to.

Assuming an editor did respond and agreed, think of what would happen to this forum. One or all of the following.

1. The editor tells you your site is not listable, and we end up with a none too pleasant argument about that.

2. The editor says the site is listed, and 5.483 other people ask to have their sites also get priority treatment.

3. The usual crew jumps in and accuses the editor of being corrupt.

4. You get red tagged here for queue jumping. [Disclaimer - there is no queue]

macdesign, Dec 16, 2005 IP
    pagode likes this.
  5. DomainMagnate

Best Answers:
    lol didn't think so deep.
    You know, you need be a politician, what a gift to convince, few minutes ago I thought I'm jusking a little favor, now I feel guilty for hurting the prestige of my favourite forum, being selfish and narrow minded. How are you doing it? :confused: :cool:
    I guess I'll take back my offer

pagode likes this.
  6. escante

escante Peon

Best Answers:
    Does anybody know how long does it take to appear in dmoz?

escante, Dec 16, 2005 IP
  7. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    From one day to three years - or never.

8. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Hang around this forum for a while and you wil understand :p

(editors usually start out a little bit nieve and open-minded - a few threats of lawsuits for failing to list sites, along with some death threats, kind of changes that):(

9. DomainMagnate

Best Answers:
    really? :)
    Anyway, any editor includes his sites and sites of his friends and of their friends, this is their work. Any editor is corrupted at some point as everyone has his own site, which he probably includes without waiting 2 years for it to get reviewed.
    You can argue with it, but it's true and that's the reason why there are so many editors. Just face the truth and don't hide from it behind a mask of honesty..

DomainMagnate, Dec 17, 2005 IP
  10. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    What a load of BS.
    Listing your own site isn't abuse at all.
    I listed my own site. Does this make me corrupt. Ofcourse not.
    I listed also about 15.000 other sites.
    You want to know why we sometimes react so harsh to people. Just read you own stupid, selfish and narrow minded post. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

pagode, Dec 17, 2005 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  11. DomainMagnate

Best Answers:
    Try to be a bit more polite and you won't be red then

12. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So it's OK to say
    but not OK to dispute that?

And at the same time you're hoping that some editor who's not offended by your comments will do you the favour of providing a speedier review than normal for that category?

I have to say that it's very tempting to give you what you wish for :D.

(but I've so far resisted)

jimnoble, Dec 17, 2005 IP
  13. DomainMagnate

Best Answers:
    Nope, I'm not any more. Just trying to clarify my point and trying to be honest.
    So, I guess it was you who gave me that red? :mad:
    Anyway have some greens :D :D :D
    BTW, dmoz have a forum too, and as far as I know it's ok to post there to ask any editor to review your site..

14. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    Come on Michael, now you are just poking.:)

riz, Dec 17, 2005 IP
  15. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nope. I grew out of that playground stuff half a century ago.

jimnoble, Dec 17, 2005 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  16. DomainMagnate

Best Answers:
    Ah, sorry , seems like you're the most reliable editor, you are doing a great work! :)

17. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    I study jimnoble’s editing style in order to better understand the ODP guidelines. Only if you could see, how much effort goes into evaluating each site.

The DMOZ forum that you are referring to is the Resource Zone, which is technically not an official part of ODP. The site review at RZ was discontinued a few months ago. I believe if someone solicits a site review; the moderators usually delete the post before a zealous new editor (reads riz) violates the policy. It has been mentioned here in DP that an ODP editor is not forbidden to offer a site review according to the official ODP guidelines. I will not render my opinion on this matter here, since the ensuing debate will degrade into mud slinging spearheaded by the usual cast of characters.

riz, Dec 17, 2005 IP
  18. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    You may think so, but that's going to be pretty impossible for an editor starting out. An editor can only add sites to the small category he starts with, and unless all his friends' sites happen to all be in that same category then it's not going to happen. Even if it did, it's not necessarily corruption, it's just adding more sites where they belong.

Adding your own site is not corruption. But adding multiple sites you own - all to the same category, probably is. An editor that did that will not last long, and won't be gettting any more categories.

macdesign, Dec 17, 2005 IP
  19. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Everytime you submit a site to the category, the submission date gets updated. If an editor sorts by date, it moves you to the bottom of the list. If your site was rejected, an editor made a note of the reason why and another editor can see this notation. Some categories do not have an editor and submissions can site for over 3 years without anyone looking at them. If there is an editor at the bottom of the category, you will probably have a better chance (no guarantee) of it being looked at sooner, so if you have two categories that are equally relevant, I would submit to a category with an editor vs one without an editor.

If you submitted a site over a year ago, I wouldn't resubmit it to the same category, but you could consider another category if there is one just as relevant. Some editors will advise against this and there is a risk that an editor will delete one of the submissions. Most editors (basic level) do not know if you have submitted a site to another category unless they happen to edit that category also. This worked for me once, but it certainly isn't a guarantee. I would never advise submitting more than twice - some offenders can get their site blacklisted.

I believe advertising can reduce you chances of being accepted - but it really depends on the individual editor. Affilate sites are specifically mentioned as sites DMOZ does not want. If you are submitting to a shopping category, a site that sells original product will also have a much better chance of getting approved imo. DMOZ doesn't want sites that all sell the same product because of duplication. It is VERY important that you submit your site to the correct category. Over half the submissions I see are to the wrong category. An editor is supposed to move it to the correct category for review, but they can delete it, and even if they don't, it can delay your review. It might take a year of two before someone even looks at it and then moves it to the correct category where it can sit for review.

Do not keyword stuff your description of your site (an editor is going to rewrite it and remove them anyway). Try to follow the theme of other descriptions of sites already listed. Compare you site to the BEST sites in the category rather than saying it is better than the worst. DMOZ can be a first come, first listed site, so a sub-par site may have been listed long ago and only better sites will be considered in the future.

DMOZ is supposed to be more about content than the look of your site. A horrible looking site hosted on a free sub-domain (geocities type) has a better chance getting listed if the content is better vs. a professionally designed "clean looking" site with limited original content. As a web designer, I sometimes find that hard to overlook, but that is the DMOZ guidelines.

An editor is supposed to look for origina content that is going to add something to the category. Keep that in mind and your chances of a listing are likely to increase. Also remember that your site may be one that will be listed but the lack of editor resources can truely mean your site might not even be looked at for years (over three). If the category has an active editor, it can take as little as a few days. There is really no way to tell - although you can watch your log for a dmoz visit which means someone has looked at your site (although it doesn't automatically mean it has been rejected if it doesn't show as listed right away). Editors sometimes look at a site but don't make a decision right away.

As most editors can only list to their category, the chances of finding an editor on these boards that edits your category are very slim and I doubt they would give you priority treatment in any case. I am waiting to hear on several submissions myself, and even as an editor, I have no way of knowing what the status of those sites are - they could have been rejected for all I know.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but DMOZ is just a waiting game and it's probably best to submit, wait, and hope you are pleasantly surprised one day. Applying to be an editor would be your only other option, and if you decide to apply, make sure you are honest about your sites and take the time to pick the quality sample sites you need to submit with your application (proper spelling is also a must).

Good luck.

mjewel, Dec 18, 2005 IP
  20. ozband

ozband Active Member

Best Answers:
    " Any ideas how to get a good and clean site included in DMOZ? "

Heres a good tip.
    1. Submit your site.
    2. Buy a chair
    3. Sit in it and wait a long time.
    4. or simply submit and move on.

It all depends on what category you want to get in to whether dmoz is worth all the fuss. Ive gotten every one of my sites into dmoz and still havent had much boost in return. So, move on.

ozband, Dec 18, 2005 IP