1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

301 - 302 redirect question

Discussion in 'Google' started by adacprogramming, Oct 30, 2007.

Got a couple questions on redirects

If you redirect a domain name to another domain using the 301 permanent redirect. What happens if you change your mind and decide to build a site on the redirected domain. Does Google keep a record of the redirect and never index the domain?

If so than it would seem to be better to always redirect with a 302 in case some time in the future you decide to use the domain.

I'm guessing that a 301 redirect also transfers value (PR, incoming links, possibly age) to the url it directs to, while a 302 does not, a 302 only diverts the traffic.

adacprogramming, Oct 30, 2007 IP
  2. JoebeeKenobi

JoebeeKenobi Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting! Never done this but I'd imagine it depends whether G has already listed the new site you redirected to. If so then you would need to remove the 301 and get the old domain relisted by getting some links out there much like you would a newly registered domain. G would then come back for a look and see you have content back on there. You would start from scratch PR-wise I'd think (having transferred it by the 301 to the new domain) but you would have the benefit of having an aged domain to start with.

As far as I know theres no way to transfer age of a domain... that sticks with the domain itself.

JoebeeKenobi, Oct 31, 2007 IP
  3. cmeinck

cmeinck Active Member

Best Answers:
    I had this same question. I'm in the process of changing domains due to legal issues with the old domain. If for some unforeseen reason I was given the ok to go back to the old domain, would I simply 301 back. :eek:

cmeinck, Nov 1, 2007 IP
    Raj Kumar likes this.