1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to change Site IP

Discussion in 'Apache' started by ravish_83, Oct 28, 2007.

I want to change my sites ip from main shared to the dedicated one.

I can do this from the cpanel.

but the thing it when i do it it show me the apache page. saying apache is working fine on this server.

So my query how can i keep my old site working fine even if i have changed the site ip

If you see here is my site http://zillr.info it's showing the apche placeholder rather then then my original site

any help will be appreciated

ravish_83, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    congrats to your dedicated server - you'll have fun and enjoy the power of beeing your own root/admin.

however
    before the joy come the work
    and before the work the learning

currently you may have to configure your entire apache config
    you use apache 1.3 and php4
    are you sure you want that ?? really sure ???

if you KNOW why - then fine
    if you have SW running ONLY on php4 - also fine

else think about installing/upgrading to current versions like apache2.2 and php5 to remain fit for the many years to come.

for apache1.3 i have little or no experience anymore

but you have similar main parameters as apache2.2
    you have to set document root in your apache config file and make all the config adjustments to serve your content correctly.

keep in mind that THESE very moments/seconds/hours and days are THE days were hackers enter easiest your site / server to use/abuse your site for all kinds of things.

a year ago I also move from shared to dedicated server and had hackers knocking at my server before even the IP was converted to domain - hence START with security before anything else.
    one security hole to close might be to completely eliminate password access and move to serverkey authentication.

since you might have some configuration work ongoing for all the years to come
    you also may start to get used to fish:// protocol using konqueror ... it works like a charm - like browsing your localhost.

good luck

hans, Oct 28, 2007 IP
    ravish_83 likes this.
  3. ravish_83

ravish_83 Peon

Best Answers:
    It smells like SPAM:confused: As this is no way related to my query

ravish_83, Oct 29, 2007 IP
  4. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    this is very directly related to your query
    at the time of your earlier post your server did NOT show any correct apache start page
    hence you had NO apache configuration done by then

hans, Oct 29, 2007 IP
  5. ravish_83

ravish_83 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry About that :eek:

ravish_83, Oct 29, 2007 IP
  6. pj1s

pj1s Active Member

Best Answers:
    You need to change at the domain registrar... Aname record to dedi IP (and all other entries if you want to use mail and alias aso). Unless you are running nameservers yourself ... which I don't think you are, since asking this question.

Just make sure you have installed the IPs correctly on the server.

pj1s, Oct 29, 2007 IP
  7. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    typically root server hosts may offer a NS service included in the server package
    hence all you may have to do is to change the nameserver entry at your registrar page or where ever you have your domain account.

a good idea with a root server is to have your own master NS on your own machine and to make all other NS slaves.

if your server host offers NO NS servers - then you may also find commercial or free NS services such as
    http://www.zoneedit.com/

first you may use a service like zoneedit.com as primary master NS - then later when you set up your own DNS Service on your own server, you may make your own DNS master and switch the zoneedit.com DNS as slave that automatically updates from your own server.

this way you keep FULL control of all your own stuff. a good feeling!

the fact however that the following data are online registered:

host zillr.info
    zillr.info has address 72.167.38.101

means that your DNS is already setup for the server IP 72.167.38.101 - if THAT is your NEW dedicated server.

hence the remaining problem may only be the a.m. apache configuration for the /server/root-document

on SuSE Linux 10.2 running apache2.2
    such a configuration would be by default the file
    /etc/apache2/default-server.conf
    and the typical domain configuration might look similar to below: ( with minor possible variations for apache 1.3 syntax )

hans, Oct 30, 2007 IP