1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz Editor Aplication! Yikes

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by kewlchat, Oct 28, 2007.

I applied to become an editor today for dmoz and with in 30 minutes i got a reply...

I was turned down sadly and their reason was because i had spelling mistakes on the aplication :mad:

Crap that makes me sad heck if id have known that id have used a spell checker..

The funny part is they emailed me back in less time then it took me to fill out the aplication.

Boy they sure are picky:mad:

kewlchat, Oct 28, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  2. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your app must've hit just as someone got there to review apps. They say timing is everything. Glad to hear they got to it quickly, that's a pretty fast turnaround.

Yeah, given that the job includes writing descriptions they're sticklers on spelling and grammar. They aren't going to spend time looking closely at the app if the applicant didn't take the time to spellcheck their work. Kinda have to assume an application is where you are going to put your best foot forward.

Oh well, at least you know that's a rather important step. As you can tell, they really do look at the things, so do a good job on it. We need editors, but they try not to put in guys we'll have to have someone running around behind cleaning up after. Good luck next time around. :)

robjones, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  3. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I usually wait average 3-6 months for replies back to my applications...
    I've always been rejected, even if they need editors in the niches I apply for [even though I am a master of the niche].

Just give up. DMOZ doesn't want quality editors.

EGS, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  4. kewlchat

kewlchat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ya i waited a year to get my old site listed and its still not..
    Mabye i should spell check every page and spell check anything before i submitt to them :(

kewlchat, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  5. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How odd.

In the English language categories, apart from a few that are on hold for various reasons, there are none older than 13 days at the moment and most are a lot faster than that. Other languages can take somewhat longer but I haven't seen anything older than three months in years.

In general:
    • We're looking for communications skills - which include fluency, spelling, grammar and the ability to read the question.
    • We're looking for an understanding of the category.
    • We're looking for integrity.
    Applications failing to demonstrate all three are usually declined.

jimnoble, Oct 29, 2007 IP
  6. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That is funny coming from some one who opened multiple accounts in this forum and was banned for dishonesty. :D

gworld, Oct 29, 2007 IP
  7. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    I actually hadn't read the T&Cs - entirely my fault and I took the penalty without bitching about it.

I really don't think that I can take any lessons about integrity from you, who claims to happily lie on application forms in order to obtain multiple ODP editor accounts :D.

How many times have you been temporarily banned from DP now?
    and how many other fora?

8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Right, you were not "aware" that you shouldn't open multiple accounts and pretend to be different people. How could you know this if your haven't read "T&C" since it is so normal in DMOZ to be dishonest and have multiple accounts? :rolleyes:

You are dishonest in DMOZ and you were dishonest here, the difference is that they dealt with you and you had to pay the price. :D

gworld, Oct 29, 2007 IP
    pctec likes this.
  9. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    That might have lost something in translation :).

10. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think everyone understands what a joke it is when some one like you posts about honesty. Your actions in this forum are the best testimony to your "honesty and integrity". :D

gworld, Oct 29, 2007 IP
  11. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am not sure why you would want to be an editor on a dying site but it is common for any company that requires writing skills to turn you down for spelling mistakes. It is best to always run applications through spell check when applying for jobs online.

gworld and jimnoble: Maybe you should take it to PM before it gets out of control.

allout, Oct 29, 2007 IP
  12. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I've learned to use the spellcheck because sometimes the eye sees what it expects to see, instead of what's really there. I'm always surprised when the spellcheck finds something where I thought there were no misspellings, so, it's a good habit to get into. :)

Don't let that discourage you from reapplying, spellchecks are a part of editing.

crowbar, Oct 29, 2007 IP
  13. kewlchat

kewlchat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From now on im useing spell check on these types of things..
    I cant blame them really i mean what if i was editing something and made a mistake.

I may wait awhile and re-apply and when i do ill make sure its all perfect cause i realy want to be an editor.. After all they did say at the bottom..

Your willingness to volunteer is greatly appreciated and perhaps we will be
    able to utilize your talent in the future. :)

So mabye one day my dream will come true :D

kewlchat, Oct 29, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  14. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, if that's your dream, we need to have a talk, :D.

Hey, I'm lousy in a chatroom. By the time I get done typing something, the train has moved 3 miles down the track. Everybody's got their own talents.

crowbar, Oct 29, 2007 IP
  15. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Use Firefox, version 2.0 has spellcheck built in and as I type it it suggest corrections to misspelled words, BTW crowbar when I quote your posts I get few spelling errors from time to time. ;)

Ivan Bajlo, Oct 29, 2007 IP
  16. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Please feel free to correct them, Ivan, I don't use spellcheck over here, ;). Nice to get edited, for a change.

crowbar, Oct 29, 2007 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That is actually a HORRIBLE tool for people that can't spell (like myself, lol). The option on the Google toolbar is much more powerful and offers better choices when you massacre words.

Qryztufre, Oct 29, 2007 IP
  18. funkywizard

funkywizard Active Member

Best Answers:
    things should be faster now that they've relaunched their site and cleaned out a lot of old editors.

funkywizard, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  19. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I never received any response to my application for an epilepsy category. I don't believe that my command of the English language, my experience editing directories, my experience with the subject or my integrity can seriously be questioned.

It's a shame because the cat I applied for is very much out of date and not listing any of the really useful sites currently available. Oh well.

Bernard, Nov 9, 2007 IP