1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is the worry over?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by werewe12, Oct 28, 2007.

For the past few weeks a lot of people have been mystified with what’s been going on concerning Page Rank, Google, and web directories. It first started with Page Rank not updating on time. Lots of questions and distress began to come about. People kept waiting for this quarterly update to come, but it didn’t come. During this time a few popular directories got penalized and temporarily de-indexed from Google’s search engine. This became huge news in no time. People’s uncertainties intensified based on these two factors. Hanging out in the Directory forums of DP, I noticed everyday at least one thread was started about these issues. It seemed like instead of discussing the industry we were all working at customer service to reassure people’s worries. Now, finally, Google implemented their new algorithm, and updated the Page Rank for almost all sites. Penalized directories are slowly being re-indexed, and coming back up in the SERPS. Seems like hard times are over with. Time to pick up and keep going as we did before this mess. I am really hoping for a well and productive future for this industry, and some great conversations in this forum!

werewe12, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  2. mrcrowley

mrcrowley Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think the worry will ever be over for webmasters and particularly directory owners G has shown that they can blow the whistle anytime they want and stop the partying.

mrcrowley, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  3. mauiman

mauiman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The worry is over. The verdict is in.

Time to get on with business, just not "business as usual".

Adjust. Innovate. Entrepreneur. Market. Rock on netpreneurs!

mauiman, Oct 28, 2007 IP
    msolution likes this.
  4. msolution

msolution Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The best one yet!

M.

msolution, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  5. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    For me personally, theres been no worry, but the last 2 months have been beneficial.

1. I was snapped out of a time warp.
    2. I stopped asking questions in threads that i would make asking shall i do this or that.
    3. I learned a lot from some people, made a few friends, and learned to research everything for myself before asking others.
    4. Theres some people now who i wouldn't touch with a barge pole, but im sure you will understand thats a healthy thing to prevent major mistakes and losses in the future.
    5. I learned to dispel myths from my mind and to try to prevent further ones from entering, those pesky myths.:)
    6. I am currently still training my mind to quite literally ignore certain things that are unhealthy, obsessional and time consuming and trying to replace those with anything that will benefit me.
    7. Most importantly for me, i have learned to accept certain things, and that lots of things are not in my control, and never will be.

pipes, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  6. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    thats a healthy outlook
    its easy to get swept up with how authoritive some people sound when in fact they are just making points made up from speculation and rumour
    its more work but try and make your own assumptions based on your personal experiences
    its worked well for me in the past :)

discover, Oct 28, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  7. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks discover :)

I must admit i was fully swept up in the whole thing for a while, it takes a while to change your mindset and im still going through the changes, but if feels better.

Im pleased to hear that it has worked well for you.;)

pipes, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  8. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Worry, concern and planning for the future are all part of business, especially business on the internet because it is morphing, growing and changing at such a rapid pace. For me flexibility is the key, keep true to your plans and be willing to sway with the 'wind'. Keep an open mind and always be willing to learn, that way you can stay ahead of the pack.

jg123, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  9. werewe12

werewe12 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    These are great words to note for all business owners.

10. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am married with two kids (19 and 14). The last thing in the world I worry about is page rank...

I remember the days when the biggest thought on my mind was the next party... I sure miss those days ;)

pctec, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    :) Good point, beyond these places are families and bigger concerns.

pipes, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  12. werewe12

werewe12 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't worry. Few more years and you can kick the kids out of the house :cool:.

13. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ha, don't work like that, they're still your kids wherever they are.

Back to the topic, I never would have used the word 'worry' but then the internet is just a hobby to me. I just try to keep the perspective that this is just an experience to learn from and certainly a kick up the arse not to be so focused on Google.

syted, Oct 28, 2007 IP