1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The wrath and vitriol piles up for Mr G re Directory PR

Discussion in 'Directories' started by britishguy, Oct 28, 2007.

Well it took some time to find this announcement but now its out in the open may as well distribute it !

PageRank is Dead :D

http://www.johnchow.com/the-pagerank-ripple-pagerank-is-dead/

John Chow does not need Mr G :cool:

Neither does the Directory Market :)

Lets purge this flawed system out of our Directories

Comments :-

britishguy, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  2. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    whether we like it or not pr is/shouldn't be a factor now anyway
    anyone who plays the same rules of pr i think can still do it but is it worth the risk and the extra time..no i doubt it

things would be a lot more difficult without google
    things dont need to be more difficult without pr

discover, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  3. werewe12

werewe12 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    On the contraire, I believe without PR system we would all do better. Buyers would judge our directories more like other businesses. Our promotions would benefit more. Amount of business we receive wouldn’t depend on a random PR that updates once in a blue moon.

werewe12, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  4. Rod_Purnell

Rod_Purnell Peon

Best Answers:
    Absolutely agree 100% with Mr. Chow. Nobody really needs any artificial substances to affirm what makes a great web and what does not. PR is a total waste of thought process for anyone seriously trying to build their own credibility online. It doesn't matter what kind of site you have, it's your's and nobody else's.

May I suggest resetting the start page when your browser opens? I have and I can assure you I'll be removing a few other traces of the G-iant on my webs in days to come.

Rod_Purnell, Oct 28, 2007 IP
    britishguy likes this.
  5. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly Rod :D

We are going to strip out all reference to this crap PR stuff from all our sites within the next few days, as what is the point of referring to this

FLAWED in-appropriate system:eek:

6. msolution

msolution Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PageRank/ PR ... is it a tool or is it a teachers cane in googles hand!

web masters whos sites PR went down, are annoyed,
    web masters whos sites didnt.... well are having a laugh on the first!

there are yet others who fail to comment!

I would just like to reiterate what Google says, and perhaps what i just read in one of the blogs!

which actually points to this!

That by far makes more sense than any other rant! [if i may call it that]

If people remember this is precisely how google lashed out on over obsessivness of people with SEO. they time and again reiterated on various levels
    Now when web masters, including myself, are getting obsessed with PageRank and "Text-Link ads", they are yet again telling us,

Shoemoney said the same thing in yet another way
    Search engines cant understand how to wiegh text links, (are they ads are they NOT ads)

So ....again,
    M.

(EDIT: im still not against TLAs, ... just dont make them look like a link farm!)

msolution, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  7. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    Meaning there shouldn't be a system to rate our web sites, a user should rate our web sites, that's just my point of view.

Meti

WatchOut, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  8. mywebsearches

mywebsearches Peon

Best Answers:
    This is the best solution:
    I'm not worry about what search engine do as I will not put all my hard work in their hands. There are countless online business making tons of money without the need of pr system or dependent on search engines.

Traffic from search engines should be as an extra bonus for our hard work and not considered as MONTHLY SALARY. We are self-employed and our success is more dependent on our goals and actions than anything else.

I seriously think we should stop talking about Google, it is becoming more of fixation for some of us.

Since, I became very interested with directories, all I read from the beginning is about Google (yahoo/msn are virtually non existent with most us). While I do some seo to rank on search engines, but is has never been my main objective to be so dependent.

From my own experience, I have seen that in other business areas getting back link (advertising) from topic specific areas is what brings quality traffic to your site. This is what I'm planning to do with my niche directories. Niche directories are powerful in this regard as they "untouchable" or unaffected by Google's actions. Having a quality (niche) directory and a strong advertising program is all you need to have succes with your (niche) directory.

I really hope to learn a lot more about general directories as they seems to be more worry about search engines. In few years, I might be able to brainstorm some new ideas and break away from the current mind set. It does not have to be this way, but we have made Google decides what we can/can't do with our own general directories.

I think what's happening should be a wake up call for all us and start coming up with new innovations. Otherwise will be playing the cat and mouse game forever.

mywebsearches, Oct 28, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  9. vicdigi

vicdigi Banned

Best Answers:
    The pagerank ripple could not be more true.

A few examples I have come across this weekend are sites that had PR6 going down to PR3 - a free directory that does not buy or sell links - www.splut.com

My site UK One Way Links went from a PR3 to PR4. Inner pages of our directory lost pagerank.

Google are all messed with the PR system they are currently using. What I cannot understand is that if a site gets a higher PR then surely the inner pages that had PR should get a PR boost rather than loose PR!

vicdigi, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  10. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There is a lot more to come relating to these issues

And it will start right here at home in the Directory Market by way of we make our own paradigm changes to effect our own standards and ratings :D

11. acuman

acuman Active Member

Best Answers:
    My directory pr actually went up to 3 but I don't care and I have no pr listed or installed anywhere on my directory.

PR is like the green rep bars; It may be nice to have but it really doesn't mean much!

acuman, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  12. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A good post and very true, there are so many posts, what is my pr etc ( which is not bad ) but it shows that a lot of people are focusing on it still.

This will change as we now start to see people step away from it and build a self supporting business.

As mentioned any PR or SE ratings / finds are just a bonus or cream on your cake.

For to long people have been trying to put a nice roof over their heads to protect what they have built, but with a shacky foundation such as PR, it's like living in cyclone country waiting for the next storm.

DownUnder, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  13. deebee

deebee Active Member

Best Answers:
    I took this course of action several weeks ago on Jooomla - what's the point in referencing a system that would appear to be fundamentally flawed?

deebee, Oct 29, 2007 IP
  14. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This has been my own feeling for some time.

I also have a feeling that as the web grows, the PR of more and more web pages will tend towards the average of 1. And what's the point of a measurement if it lumps so many pages at the same level?

Obelia, Oct 29, 2007 IP