1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where To Go Next?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by nix, Oct 27, 2007.

hello everyone,

im 18, with knowledge in css/html/javascript[basics]/flash[basics]/photoshop[advanced]/illustrator/dreamweaver/search engine optimization

yet with knowledge in these i find myself in a soup when trying to make a DYNAMIC website

please suggest me what to learn next? maybe server side lang's like php, asp or xml or anything... please direct me whats best for me to do next.....

[btw im planning to start a course in php tomorrow but my friend says rather learn database management all togather.... please explain to me what to do and why would it help me?]

nix, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  2. eruct

eruct Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, what are your goals?
    If you are really into the web then yes, you should learn some server side stuff. A broad overview, like your friend suggested might not be a bad idea but there is nothing wrong with jumping right in a learning php.

If you just want to be more of a front-end designer rather than a coder, it still wouldn't hurt to have knowledge of back-end operations.
    Either way, know html/css inside and out and you'll be better off than most.

eruct, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  3. kananeto86

kananeto86 Peon

Best Answers:
    You should learn PHP as it become widely use now. Most CMS use php now. You should be in some of the free CMS community.

kananeto86, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  4. twistedspikes

twistedspikes Notable Member

Best Answers:
    learn some server side scripting.

PHP is more widely used now, maybe thats a good starting point. Moving onto MYSQL as well and integrating the two, can do some amazing things with that.

twistedspikes, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  5. nix

nix Guest

Best Answers:
    thank you eruct , twistedspikes and kananeto86

my goal is to become an excellent web designer .... but as days pass i am realising people prefer to have a coded website rather than a photoshop design, while that is alright, it seems that no one wants website templates as static, they would rather prefer to have a dynamic site than get it done for extra from someone else....
    and imo from what ive seen from the freelance sites, no one wants just a html/css design [save some who want identity sites with a form for contact, and people with afffiliate or sales pages]

it seems php with mysql is the way to go... but now my friend is like i can learn it on my own... i know i can its not hard... ive leart whatever i mentioned above myself... but im not sure for php with mysql .....

if i just buy a sams teach yourself book or say a dummies guide... id get the basics but what about handling cms's? and/or creating your own from scratch?

the classes im thinkin of enrolling for today are for around 250$ for 65hrs... [roughly a period of 1 and a half month]

any advise?

nix, Oct 27, 2007 IP