1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directories that require backlinks

Discussion in 'Solicitations & Announcements' started by Help Desk, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    What is your opinion on directories that require backlinks?

Help Desk, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  2. caroline

caroline Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't trust them, because I link to them with specified code and in turn they give me a friggn javascript link.

caroline, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  3. dejaone

dejaone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't like directories that ask for backlinks. the question is how do you get backlinks for the directories?

dejaone, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  4. Nick W

Nick W Peon

Best Answers:
    I think 90% of the directories im seeing spammed all over seo message boards these days are the biggest pile of crap ive seen - ones that want a backlink also? Sheesh! give me a break.. heh :)

Nick W, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  5. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I rarely find a directory that wants a recip link that I feel compelled to submit to. In the rare cases that I do, I just post a recip link in one of my forums as a post.

GuyFromChicago, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  6. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    The more improtant question is, has anybody ever seen Google list a link from any of these directories under their "link:" search?

It strikes me that Google may refuse to see them as "directories" and sees them for what they really are, which is agressive reciprocal linking schemes. I am not against reciprocal links, but in this case these "directories" don't have any theme or content. So they are 100% reciprocal links with no other reason for existence.

My bet is that Google radically devalues links from pages like this.

compar, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  7. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Yes, I have links to some of our sites from "recip" directories.

chachi, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  8. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    well I am glad I set up my new site as a portal.

OK the first thing is the directory part which I am keen to build

But yes - there are soooo many directories springing up all over the place as a "me too"

leeds1, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  9. Trance-formation

Trance-formation Peon

Best Answers:
    I've set up a directory on the www.deep-mind.com site that is clearly intended for sites of a spiritual/meditation and associated subjects theme... recently I seem to have been spammed with a number of COMPLETELY off topic submissions... needless to say they do not get in ... I do ask for a reciprocal at the moment, however, I don't necesserally enforce that... it was an attempt to prevent the sort of spam I am getting. As a strategy it is clearly not working and I suspect I will have to change it to a request rather than a condition in the very near future

Trance-formation, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  10. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    I know of one that is really bad, relo-experts dot com even on their paid links will turn around and 30 days later ask you for a backlink and if they dont get it they have in the past tried to sell your link page to a competitor.

I never submit to a directory that ask for a BL.

Las Vegas Homes, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  11. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    We have a directory here...

We don't ask for a backlink (In fact It's not set up to take submissions yet).

Every now and then We do an update of the directory of more sites that have been accumilated over the last month or so.

It's built up on our bookmarks. It would be nice if some people decided to link to it, but it seems unlikely.

RE: other directories that require a backlink - I think they are a waste of time. Why would I exchange links with a directory when I could just exchange links with a ste that is related to the subject.

Anyway, who needs reciprocal links when you have the coop network ;)

SEbasic, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  12. Nazarite

Nazarite Guest

Best Answers:
    from my experience...Google doesn't even acknowledge a lot of these pages...i used to set up exchanges with smaller (link exchangeable) directories but i never saw any results.

my 2 cents

Nazarite, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  13. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    In the real estate industry about 60 to 90 days ago google gave a lot of these directories more credit then they deserved for a lot of primary search phrases. It seems now those that created these types of directories and spent to many hours on them to try and generate more income from some foolish real estate agents through purchased ads are now wondering why they created those directories.

One thing I have noticed in real estate is you build it and they will come running.

Las Vegas Homes, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  14. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Forcing a reciprocal link means that you have a directory of sites that link to your site. Kind of meaningless by definition.

Themed directories, directories aimed at a very specific topic, might be a very good thing, but finding them might serve much more difficult.

Anybody know of any good (and free) directory software out there?

Help Desk, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  15. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't waste your time with recp. directories! Most of the recp. directories are questionable and often look like link farms. I will not submit any of my websites to a general recp. link directory.

I have submitted on occasion to specific directories, ones that specialize in one theme.

Best to find one-way links.

larysmith711, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  16. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sing it brother! All you need is more content! If people add their own blurb about their website, they basically add the link for you.

Help Desk, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  17. misohoni

misohoni Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Compar, what happened to that article I sent you (x4 times if I remember...). I gave it to some other web site and produced a few more, shame you couldn't find time to get back to me about using it for your site...hmm wonder if you do this to others also

misohoni, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  18. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    Since I first "opened for business" with my site I've submitted to a lot of directories. I treat most of them like a link partner whether they ask me for it or not. The point is, if my link never shows up, or if I never get any traffic from them, they're gone. Since I've only been online for about a month now I'm still not getting much traffic from the serps. In fact, most of my current traffic, which isn't much, comes from about 4 or 5 of the directories I've submitted to. Of those, a couple of them actually did ask for a recip, but since I'm seeing a decent amount of traffic from them I'm not complaining.

nfzgrld, Jan 5, 2005 IP
  19. tomsk

tomsk Guest

Best Answers:
    Well here goes putting myself up for a verbal kicking.

Three types of directories (1) paid (2) reciprocal link (3) Free

Let’s take paid first. There are without a doubt some good reputable paid directories and I think we all know who they are whose price of submission is worth the money as they will reinvest it in all forms of advertising to try and promote their successful directories.

Then there are the other paid directories who will ask you for some money to join them and in no way promote their directories to any level. Their only interest are the dollars or pounds that they make over the course of a year.

Reciprocal link directories (of which I run one). I am constantly amazed how protective people are about giving away a reciprocal link to a directory. I completely understand that people do not want to join any form of linking farm etc but there are genuine reciprocal link directories out there. I approximately take about 35-40% of the people that apply to my directory, the other 60% produce appalling, badly made websites that are of no use to anybody searching in a directory. Most are not even indexed by Google, some have possibly a page rank of 2, but yet they guard their reciprocal link as if they were doing you a favour. The truth is that these 60% of sites will be of no benefit to a directory and their reciprocal links will bring little or no traffic or benefit to the directory. I can only speak for my own directory. I personally pay for all my bandwidth, I have currently a pay-per-click campaign running and am paying for advertising on certain sites. Plus the time involved in running and approving the submissions.
    It amazes me that people will pay money to a paid directory, but ask them for a reciprocal link which costs nothing and it’s a “no no”.

Free directories. I have not had much experience of these, but rest-assured they are run by individuals who, like me, pay for bandwidth and give their own time and I commend them.

My rule of thumb would be take a look at the directory do you like the look of it? Would you use it?, does it fit with your budget?, do you think people visiting your site would benefit from a link on your site to the directory?.

tomsk, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  20. eves

eves Peon

Best Answers:
    would adding a reciprocal link decrease the value of PR passed from that directory?

eves, Jan 9, 2005 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.