1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Comparing web hostings - who is the best?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Mr Goldwing, Oct 26, 2007.

Im just about to switch from dreamhost to someone else who at least has a 800 number. Dreamhost is pretty ok, I like the easy of use of a control panel, good options, quick and easy to find anything around the control panel, etc. But Im getting tired of it. Im considering switching hosts. I have list of a few. Who would you say has least down time, good customer service, etc. Please give me some reviews.

Im only hosting up to 20 pages so far. Nothing to crazy, blog, no ecommerce, 4 directories, just regular websites. Im looking for the most features, easy installs, unlimited domains, etc.

What do you think about dreamhost? Maybe I should stay with them? Any reviews on that? The biggest thing that pisses me off that there is no TELEPHONE number to call and ask anything.

Maybe suggest a few hosts ( please do not self market your small hosting companies) - im looking for someone that has been doing this for a while - looking for brand names.

Here is what I found:

Network Solutions
    HostMonster
    BlueHost
    Hostgator
    Yahoo hosting
    iPowerWeb
    Blue Host
    InMotion
    Aplus.Net

I want to hear some reviews. Thanks guys.

Mr Goldwing, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I am also very interested in this thread. Full disclosure: my sig line has a link to a coupon for hostgator and I also use them for my website hosting.

jrbiz, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  3. jrd1mra

jrd1mra Peon

Best Answers:
    why didnt you mention Godaddy/ They are a great host and I have had nothing but good experience wuth them. Their 800 #'s a;ways lead you to a live person who will help you with support. Their hosting is inexpensive, but its also limited at the lowest price. As you add features it gets more expensive but not uncompetitively so.

Network Solutions has great support as well but I find them to be over priced compared to other hosts.

Personally I use www.Nextmill.net. They are a small company in southern California. Their suppoprt and uptime is A+ and any hosting package you buy will have all popular features installed and tons of bandwidth and storage (I have 50 sites hosted there and have never needed to purchase anything larger than the starter size)

They also have a great reseller program which you can get free hosting if you sell a few accounts a year.

They only have windows boxes though I think. But they all run PHP and Mysql almost as well as an apache server. I have sites which run Joomla, IPB, wordpress all just fine on their windows server. They may have an apache server available I am not positive on that.

Also another small hosting company with great support is http://www.mountainmedia.com/ I havent used them since I moved to the west coast but they are based in Albany New York and are really great also.

I like to go with the little guys versus the big hosting companies. Its a much more personal experience and you have the ability usually to get a much better reseller plan from them.

jrd1mra, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  4. baumann93

baumann93 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am with dreamhost and I used them for more than 3 years. No major complaints, the uptime is good and dreamhost's packages are difficult to beat for the price. The first year of dreamhost hosting can be purchased for aroudn 24$ and that includes a free .com domain. Quite a deal. There are a number of coupons on the Web, you can also use mine SUPERHOST if you want. It needs to be entered at the check out page to reduce the package price.

baumann93, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  5. bridanp

bridanp Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want a real person to talk to, I would definitely recommend Godaddy. I used to host with them, and they were excellent with phone communications.

bridanp, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  6. kadesmith

kadesmith Peon

Best Answers:
    I HIGHLY recommed using mosso if you are a webmaster selling hosting. Their support is amazing. One time I used there chat service online (It's 24/7). I had to leave the chat session in a hurry. They later called me to make sure that everything was working.

kadesmith, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  7. hamzah

hamzah Peon

Best Answers:
    the better ones are mosso, mediatemple and rackspace

hamzah, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  8. RingBoxer

RingBoxer Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd recommend aplus.net. Very professional, but isn't cheap as GoDaddy. Aplus.net has 24/7/365 support.

RingBoxer, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  9. nshadab

nshadab Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am surprised to see that how could you ignore Godaddy.com for the same.
    This is the best one i have worked till date.
    Best service,
    Good promos,
    Rich featues,
    Time to time discounts upto 50%
    Best Customer Care

Besides this my second vote for
    Network Solutions

nshadab, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  10. bryon844

bryon844 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi!
    To be honest..coming on a board like this and asking "who is best" is a waste of time. Best for who? Hosting what?

I've never used dreamhost and likely will not. Godaddy is a horrible host..always has been..uh..well. I have used them several times due to their domain package deals..and they..like 1and1..always manage to disappoint me everytime.

If you want high uptimes..I would find a serious host. If they claim 24/7 support..test them. Try to start a chat at 3AM. Email them at odd hours.

See if it's true or not.

If you want something that can take bursts of large amounts of traffic..I would suggest you look to the grid offerings becoming more and more mainstream. No..I'm not talking about mediatemple. I'm not sure about imountain..they have grid offerings.

The only way to find the right host is good ole research, sweat and time.

Bryon

bryon844, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  11. InFloW

InFloW Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I'll tell you one thing one good hosting experience for one person with a host does not mean a good one for another. Mosts hosts are running many servers all only serving so many customers. As a result at any time one machine could have be having issues thus people say that host is bad. But overall the majority of the machines are running without issue. So I mean it's going to come down to picking ones that are reputable and just hoping you do in fact have a good experience. There is absolutely no guarantee no matter how many great reviews a host has.

Now on the subject of phone support. For most hosts it's becoming more and more apparent that it may not be worth even having. It's great you can call up the company when their entire network is down and it's also affecting their site. But past that it is pretty much useless. Trying to diagnose a problem over the phone is less than ideal and ones that still have phone support tell you to make a ticket in their helpdesk anyways.

So I don't think leaving a host because of lack of telephone support may be smart as the others will likely have a phone # you can call but then it'll be open a ticket in our helpdesk and someone will help you soon.

InFloW, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  12. Grumps

Grumps Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been doing with BlueHost for quite sometimes. They are cheap, service are great and server seems to be going well all these while. Even recommended them to my clients.

Grumps, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  13. Carlo Cabrera

Carlo Cabrera Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been using HostMonster, there customer service is excellent.

-Carlo

Carlo Cabrera, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  14. AndrewJ

AndrewJ Peon

Best Answers:
    AndrewJ, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  15. tushardhoot1

tushardhoot1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I second this.

Bluehost is awesome.

• They have better prices than Godaddy
    • Provide Great Features
    • Have great storage and bandwidth which will come in handy later
    • They have a 800 number
    • Also have Online Chat, Email, etc

tushardhoot1, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  16. gauharjk

gauharjk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You have fewer requirements. You need a host which is robust...and FREE.

I use www.110mb. com for my site. It gives 500MB space, 10GB bandwidth per month, and uptime is 99.99999%...

You can use Adsense. They have NO ADS on your site. So, it is basically a free account with services better than many paid ones.

Superb experience.

If you don't want to install a blog, you don't need all the frills and whistles, then just go for it.

110mb. com

gauharjk, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  17. AndrewJ

AndrewJ Peon

Best Answers:
    But free hosts rarely provide quality support, if any at all.

Andrew

AndrewJ, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  18. sakto

sakto Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hostmonster here. Excellent support through live chat and phone. Cpanel. Affordable too.

sakto, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  19. tushardhoot1

tushardhoot1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Like AndrewJ pointed out, the OP requested a host with a good performance of service, which a free service like 110 MB can obviously not provide.

tushardhoot1, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  20. drgeorgep

drgeorgep Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi ... if you're NOT using FrontPage, midPhase, AN Hosting or any of the midphase companies -- absolutely fantastic service and support. IX Web Hosting is good, if you need FrontPage; godaddy.com, too, but its support wobbles from great to inadequate. Hope this helps. Good luck.

drgeorgep, Oct 28, 2007 IP