1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Link structure for sites with 30-50 pages?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mads, Oct 23, 2007.

I don't understand it. I have lots of niche sites (8-10 keyword optimized pages) and I can make them rank pretty well for most of the keywords, but I just can't make my sites with more pages rank for anything at all :(

My niche sites have 8-10 keyword optimized pages, each page target a specific keyword. All the pages have links to all the other pages in the sidebar.

When I create bigger sites (30-50 keyword optimized pages or more) it looks pretty stupid to have links to all the other pages in the sidebar. I therefore need to structure the sites differently, but all the link structures I have tried haven't worked. I have 6 or 7 such sites and they don't rank for anything at all :(

Any ideas/examples on how to setup a great link structure for sites with 30-50 pages or more?

mads, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  2. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    If all of the pages have access to a menu on the sidebar or header area, then they should interlink (normally).

You could use something like Joomla, Drupal, or Wordpress for your sites. They all link the internal pages well.

usasportstraining, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  3. mbeharry

mbeharry Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah, interlinking is important, semantic tags are great

also, content regarding the same topic should not be using the same anchor text in the link with internal links. this dilutes the term

data organization should be a constant process and consideration.

mbeharry, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  4. mads

mads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I most often use Wordpress for my sites, but the problem is that I can't fit links to all the pages in the sidebar or header area.

mads, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  5. seonion

seonion Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest you to create a sitemap for your sites. If you link internally a website that has 4/10 pages you do not need it, but you need it for more than 20 pages: it helps the bots to read and index your site quicker like in here http://www.seo-guru.net/seo-optimization.html

seonion, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  6. stokelake

stokelake Peon

Best Answers:
    Keep it very simple, if you only have 30-50 pages, have a left nav with all those links included and keep that left nav on every page. Done!

stokelake, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  7. mads

mads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But what if I have for example 200 pages? I have content ready for such big sites, but my results with 30-50 page sites have discouraged me from giving bigger sites a try.

mads, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  8. mads

mads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But will a sitemap be enough? Using a sitemap will only give each page a single internal link and it will not be from the frontpage (which is usually the most powerful page on the site).

All my pages on 30-50 page websites get indexed within a week or so, but they just don't rank.

mads, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  9. The_FoX

The_FoX Peon

Best Answers:
    Keep the site structure flat and horizontal as possible cos deep linking needs deep crawling which sometimes isn't easy. Moreever, create a sitemap and submit to google. That should do the trick.

The_FoX, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  10. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    A sitemap submitted to Yahoo, Google, MSN would be good. Update when there are changes.

Also, you can have a sitemap for users (which the spiders can follow too) on a sidebar or header. Some put one in the footer, which is more for the spiders. It should be user friendly, unlike the one you'd submit to Google.

usasportstraining, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  11. tfbpa

tfbpa The....Alive

Best Answers:
    Don't think the ideas of a sitemap are the answer to your problems...

It really is necessary to have good internal linkingstructure to rank well for competitive keywords. Having said that, I don't have the answer right away, but I would look at some topranking related sites and see how they are interlinking their pages.

If your sites consists of 4 main topics, you can link those 4 topics from mainpage and on those 4 pages you can further link to all other pages in that specific topic. But that's just an idea and your site needs to contain different topics...

It really depends on your niche and site, but most of my ideas come from looking at the topranking sites for your keywords/niche and try to discover what works and what doesn't. You would have to be careful not to copy the site ranking first, as they could have such enormous linkpower that no matter how they interlink their pages, it would rank top anyway.

I would analyze the top10 sites for linkingpower first and start looking at how the site with the least linkingpower interlinks, as they have to be smarter since they don't have that much linkinkpower to begin with.

tfbpa, Oct 24, 2007 IP
    mads and Emperor like this.
  12. mads

mads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent idea tfbpa, I'll give it a try. I totally agree that sitemaps aren't the answer - my problem is ranking, not getting indexed.

mads, Oct 24, 2007 IP