1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Clemency request of Tookie Williams

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Arnie, Dec 12, 2005.

?

Abolish capital punishment or not?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2006.
  1. Abolish death penalty

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. Uphold death penalty

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
  3. I don't know

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Non of my business

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    Stanley Tookie Williams has only one hope left in this last day, which is today that Schwarzenegger will jump to his rescue after California's Supreme Court late Sunday rejected an emergency request to stay the execution of convicted killer Williams, who is scheduled to be put to death early Tuesday at 00:01 o'clock.

Lets hope and pray that his punishment will be turned into life in prison today.

Arnie, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  2. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Why? :confused:

Crazy_Rob, Dec 12, 2005 IP
    maldives likes this.
  3. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Cuz that way we can have 5 more threads about this LOL

lorien1973, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  4. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We're not the masters of life or death.
    Seperation from the community is our obligation in such cases, but to put someone to death will make a society as a whole to murderers too.

Arnie, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  5. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    I was watching the news this morning, and for those that remember the Rodney King L.A. Riots, I would not be surprised to see that happen again if he is put to death. Should that stop them from killing a convicted killer, no, To say he is innocent is the perpetual prison joke, prisons are completly populated by innocent people. But, I would not be surprised to see rioting if he dies.

palespyder, Dec 12, 2005 IP
    yo-yo likes this.
  6. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    While I don't support capital punishment, I find it hard to care about someone that has killed other people.

7. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Another thing to mention is that capital punishment never reduces crime rates, I would even say its the other way round.

Criminals risk even more - all or nothing - and less get caught.

We should make our society safer and not more dangerous and let the outlaws know and suffer the consequences of their deeds as long as they have natural life, seperated from the communities and let them do useful things there.

Arnie, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  8. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    I personally believe in Public Execution as a means to curb certain crimes, but, thats just the redneck in me ;) But, the man was convicted, he has appealed numerous times IIRC and each time has been found guilty, changed or not he was sentenced to a punishment. It's a sad thing because it appears the system worked for Tookie, but, it is his punishment for a crime regardless.

palespyder, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  9. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:

Is this just your opinion?

10. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know, but statistics seem to support this thesis.
    Compare with crime rates from countries without capital punishment.

Arnie, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  11. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    I personally think it would be a mistake to execute him. Not because I have any sympathy for him at all but because he appears to be working hard to keep kids out of gangs and gang culture.

mcfox, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  12. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I think you would rally have to quanitfy that better,

statisically you can say citys with more police have more crime

ferret77, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  13. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.innocenceproject.org/

164 people that were found GUILTY of horrible crimes (rapes, murders) and served decades in maximum security prisons have been found factually innocent with DNA evidence.

Now what % of the total innocent prison population could actually be saved by DNA... not a very big one... so how many more innocent people are locked up.... PLENTY. :rolleyes:

Anyone who thinks the U.S. justice system works is a complete idiot.

EDIT:
    ----------------
    Since 1973, 122 people in 25 states have been released from death row with evidence of their innocence.
    http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=412&scid=6

12 people were exonnerated in 2003 alone. Anyone still think we never execute the innocent? :rolleyes:

yo-yo, Dec 12, 2005 IP
    mcfox and Crazy_Rob like this.
  14. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    How about Japan? They have capital punishment and one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

15. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't understand that message fully, but if you're for death penalty and those alike then I'd rather recommend to do a research on this subject by him/herself. Only then people can change their minds. ;)

Arnie, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  16. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's racism and lack of evidence in his case. He was a black guy in a gang in the early 80's... he was automatically guilty in white america. It's sad but it's the truth and still gos on today.

Regardless of his guilt of the 4 murders, he's admitted to being a bad person and has turned himself around to help save kids lives.

yo-yo, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  17. alexmart

alexmart Peon

Best Answers:
    What if later on he is found innocent ? I am not talking about Tookie but this is the most important question. We do not hold the absolute truth thus we shouldn't make use of capital punishment.

Like one said, many were found guilty and served hard time, then it turned out they were indeed innocent. What if some or just even one were executed ? The judge and jury should be locked up and executed also ?? No, they would be free and it will be labeled a mistake.

A life in prison is more painfull than an execution.

alexmart, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  18. kaptain

kaptain Peon

Best Answers:
    This might be true for a normal person but not for Tookie (His Gang Aff Name by the way)

Someone with his stature (Gang Leader and Co founder) has it made in prison... he has his gang members and others doing things for him, giving him what ever he wants etc. For most people who live this life style, prison is just location and the activities are the same.

If he has really turned a page in life then why does he still use his gang name and why does he not help police in breaking down the gangs. What real prof does anyone have that he has stopped people from joining a gang or leaving a gang. Being a member and co founder of the crips (i think) imagine the crimes that he was not caught doing.

Any good he MIGHT be doing now does not erase the bad he has done and the plague on society he has been and represents.

How many books has he really sold? ... i found the answer here http://www.blacknews.com/pr/hollywood201.html
    his best selling block buster sold 330 .... i think it's safe to say his books are not having any real affect on gangs, new recruits or crime

Is he really denouncing gangs and violence... i think not.... he is trying to save his own butt.... If he is saved, i think the only thing it will show any young person is that you can do a violent crime and if you get caught... do a couple "good deads" and you can get a lighter sentence.

If he really did change his ways.... he just waited to long to do it, if he is for real.... then maybe his maker will take pitty... i guess he will find out.

kaptain, Dec 12, 2005 IP
    yo-yo likes this.
  19. Henny

Henny Peon

Best Answers:
    Put the Focker DOWN! He killed a little girl and laughed about it. Kill the focker and get it over with.

Henny, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  20. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well it appears Arnold has denied clemency and Tookie will be executed tonight.

Why can't our society open it's eyes to the world around us and stop making foolish mistakes. Taking another life will not heal the pain but only bring more. Nothing positive can possibly come of this. :(

yo-yo, Dec 12, 2005 IP