1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Listing - Editor Is My Major Competitor

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by snooks, Oct 20, 2007.

I think that everybody agrees that DMOZ is a great asset to get into. I do have concerns that the editor of the small category im going into, is my MAJOR competitor.

What chance will i have at being listed. ?

Its certainly a major concern.

What incentive is there for him to approve my listing? None.....So I dont expect to get in there real fast.

snooks, Oct 20, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    How long ago did you submit?

And if you are willing to share, what site & category?

Though, if you really feel there is a conflict of interest], you can fill out an abuse report.

Qryztufre, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  3. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I realise after I did this post that I have infered something has happened.

Let me state as yet, Nothing Unethical has occurred rgarding my listing.

I just feel that he certainly wont be in a rush to approve it, we do know each other by name and we are major competitors within the same target market.

Not enough time has passed as yet so i cant check the application status....

I just wish DMOZ was not of so much importance or that the Editor of the section was not known to me.

snooks, Oct 20, 2007 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  4. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Assuming your site is up to par.

It depends on the editor as to whether or not you get accepted. Some are good, some are bad. That is the chance you have to take when submitting to the largest human (and automated) directory.

Though, as to it's importance, it's just a directory. For it's SERP you'll find that DMOZ is rarely found. In helping serp, many feel that the redundant data of the DMOZ clones counters most bonuses though duplicate content filters. There is even some SEO experts that say using the same keyword and phrase too much is a bad thing, and with the clones, it can certainly stretch those out.

However, google has updated their directory a while back. That is getting good SERP, like that's a surprise....but even then, the last time that updated was two years ago, so even the value of that is suspect.

I'm not saying it's worthless mind you, just saying it may not be worth as much hype as it does it.

So be proud of your submission, and forget about it :D

Qryztufre, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  5. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good points i know.......but feeding a wife and four kids, the preassure is on and i think emotionally, i need to see some action on google and im hoping that getting in dmoz will spark that.

The site is good, i know that, so its just a time matter.

Aw well, its 10.30 here in Sydney Australia, im up for work at 5am so cheers from Downunder and off to bed i go.

snooks, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  6. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you're being very fair minded, and you've brought up a valid point, snooks, so I logged in to give you an answer.

The chances of an editor, who might be your competitor, deliberately keeping your site suggestion out, or dragging his feet are slim to nothing.

If there is a named resident editor for that particular category, you'll see him/her named at the bottom of the page, and you'll be able to click on it and go to the editors profile.

If it says "volunteer to edit this category", then there is no named resident editor in that category, but there are other editors in higher categories that can and do edit there.

There are also 200-300 other editors who can edit in every category within the Directory, including that one, so no one editor ever has exclusive rights/permissions to edit any one category.

A named editor usually just means that he is restricted to that particular category, in that part of the Directory. He may have other categories, in other parts of the Directory, also, as most of us do.

All of these higher editors can see the site suggestions that might be waiting in any category beneath them, and all of those editors could edit there if they chose to, so, it would be very dangerous for an editor to show favoritism, and if spotted, cause for the editors removal.

No editor "owns" a category, he just has "permission" to edit there.

What you're really doing is submitting a site suggestion for our consideration, rather than submitting a site. Editors look through those suggestions, but it's not our only source of finding quality sites. No site is guaranteed a listing and no site has a right to be listed. :)

As one editor put it, we encourage the public to put something in the "Suggestion Box" and when a volunteer editor has the time and interest in that particular category, we'll look through them and see if there are some we can use. It's really as simple as that.

We take editor abuse very seriously, so, if you think there might be any, please do file an abuse report so it can be investigated.

crowbar, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  7. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why? :rolleyes:

The rest of your post needs no answer since it says nothing. :)

gworld, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  8. format

format Active Member

Best Answers:
    Loosley regulated structures such as DMOZ are unwiedly by nature. Editors come and go for about a million different reasons. You can't count on it, you can't control an editor, you can't control an abuse report. This is a big slog machine. Submit and walk away. Give it no more mind, you'll drive yourself nuts for no reason.

format, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  9. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like how everybody says submit and walk away, yet almost everyone is trying to get in there.

Reading the threads on the board I am amazed at the animosity that surfaces from so many people. I have absolutely no knowledge of the site other than looking at it to list my site and the recommendation that I submitt my site.

Now I have done the submission so i can do nothing but wait. Its only been a week or so so it may be a day or it may be 12 months. I did notice an entry on my site (via webmaster central reports), showing dmoz editor accessed site, spent 3.46 secs on it and inspected 4 pages. Wether that means anything or not, I dont know.

I must admit that I would dearly love to be in there for seo, but also because it does seem selective and to be in there, its almost a "pat on the back" for your site.

Lets be honest.....we would all love to be there for one reason or another.

snooks, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  10. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oops. 3.46 secs should read 3.46 MINUTES.

snooks, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  11. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If it's the site in your profile, it only ships to Oz. You did realize that this means it can only be listed within Oz?

jimnoble, Oct 22, 2007 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  12. ajaychadha

ajaychadha Banned

Best Answers:
    Well brother, if the editor of that category is your competitor then there is nothing you can do to make your site appear in that category. One of my websites has the same issue, I submitted it 3-4 times in the last 2 years but never was able to get our site listed in that category. I've stopped submitting now. God knows what's cooking in the mind of dmoz editors.

They don't approve deserving sites too.

ajaychadha, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    An editor only needs to edit once every three months. That means you could have submitted twice before he needed to edit. That means, he could have missed your submission.

Now, have you read all the people in here saying submit once? There are reasons for that advice ya know...

Qryztufre, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  14. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    No site deserves to be listed (accept in the eyes of the site owner, of course). :)

Those of you who haven't been listed yet are seeing ghosts where there are no ghosts. If you'd like to know what's cooking in the mind of an editor, simply ask one, :D.

Right now, it's 7am here, and I'm thinking about what I need to get done in my business today. During the day, I'll probably get some free time to go in and do a little editing, if I'm not interrupted by a customer.

I've been an editor for about 6 years, so I have fairly wide editing permissions. One of the categories I edit within is every category within the US, which means there may be tens of thousands of categories to choose from, and possibly 50,000 to 60,000 site suggestions to review.

That's one task I could choose to do.

While I'm doing that, I may discover that there are quite a few listed sites in one city, and that I need to stop and create some subcategories in it, and place the sites in those subcategories. Each subcategory also requires that I create the proper @links and related links in each of them.

Then, I get curious about why there are so many site suggestions at the state level, and checking, I see that most of them are misplaced and need to be moved down to the city they belong in, so I start doing that.

While doing that, I notice quite a few reds (sites that have a url problem) and looking at a few of them, I spot some really nice sites/resources that I'd hate to lose, so I investigate them and I find that the sites have moved to a new url, so, I change the url and relist them.

As this isn't the only category I edit in, I check out the other categories and I work on another project I'm interested in, gathering up fishing charter boat sites from all over the world and getting them listed.

And so it goes with most editors, and that's just a few of the normal tasks we do, there are many others, like helping new editors, mentoring, reorganization projects, just to mention a few.

Not all editors have wide permissions, some choose to edit in restricted categories that they have an interest in, like one city or one hobby or other topic. Those editors do a fantastic job of staying on top of new site suggestions, and are experts at finding new, unsuggested sites to build up their category, with the intention of making it a very valuable resource for websurfers. :)

So, I hope that answers your question about what's cooking in an editors mind, there's a lot of dishes brewing on the stove, and we try to stir a little in each one of them :D.

Added - For most site suggesters, the matter begins and ends with one site, their own. For editors, it's a never ending treadmill of tens of thousands of sites and tasks, so we see more of the larger picture than most of you do.

If there's ever any transparency to the Directory, I hope it's in that area, giving you a better look at the larger picture.

crowbar, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It seems editors own sites, friends sites and the sites of the customers who pay the editors definitely deserve to be listed. :rolleyes:

gworld, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  16. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Is that how you decide the sites to be listed, gworld, when you use your editall account?

Anonymously, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  17. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No, but it seems this is how you decide. :)

gworld, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  18. windtalker

windtalker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    windtalker, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  19. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Impossible! The editor is his competitor, :).

Added - And no, I don't have editing permissions in Australia.

crowbar, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Qryztufre, Oct 22, 2007 IP