1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Filters in Google Analytics

Discussion in 'Google' started by buffalo, Oct 19, 2007.

I recently added GA to my blog. I set up a filter so that it would filter out hits coming from my IP address, or at least I thought I did. It is still showing my hits. Any ideas on how to remove my hits from the reports? :confused:

buffalo, Oct 19, 2007 IP
  2. leandar

leandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Analytics Settings > Filter Manager > Create New Filter > Filter Type: Exclude all traffic from an IP address >> add URL >> Finish

leandar, Oct 19, 2007 IP
    RichUser likes this.
  3. buffalo

buffalo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yup. That's what I did. But my hits are still showing for some reason. :confused:

buffalo, Oct 19, 2007 IP
  4. leandar

Best Answers:
    leandar, Oct 19, 2007 IP
  5. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    did you enter your IP in the right format?, ie:
    64\.233\.167\.99
    Code (markup):
    ?

Tearabite, Oct 19, 2007 IP
    buffalo and RichUser like this.
  6. buffalo

Best Answers:
    Nope. I had it entered wrong. I figured that out from the link that leandar provided.

But when I fixed it I noticed that my IP address was different. Did my IP address change? Or did I enter it wrong the first time? :confused:

buffalo, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  7. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Not all providers give you the same IP every time - makes excluding your IP adress pretty difficult, unfortunately.

kh7, Oct 20, 2007 IP
    RichUser likes this.
  8. leandar

Best Answers:
    check your IP changing from http://www.ip-adress.com/ write down IP adress on a paper then Off your modem and shut down your computer restart .... again visit that site to know change your IP

Edit >> did you use www.statcounter.com ?

leandar, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  9. buffalo

Best Answers:
    Well that is part of the problem then. I just checked my IP address today, and it's different than the one I had yesterday. :rolleyes:

So is there any way to keep my activity out of my GA stats?

buffalo, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  10. leandar

Best Answers:
    do something about static IP , ask your internet Provider to get fixed IP , you can do it but its all related internet connection

leandar, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  11. story97

story97 Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you use dial up? If so you're not going to get anywhere here. if you're using broadband you'll likely need to set up a range of ip addresses, not just one. if you're using DSL you could likely get different IPs more than once a week. if you're using Cable it seems most of them maintain the IP for a longer period. they re-lease you the same IP over and over.

there's no way to know for sure without monitoring it. but if you're using dial up, there's nothing you can do.

story97, Oct 20, 2007 IP
    RichUser likes this.
  12. buffalo

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I am using DSL. How would I know what range to set up?

buffalo, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  13. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ...might be easier to just call the DSL company and ask them to assign you a static IP.. they might charge you.. but they might not.. only takes a minute to ask.

Tearabite, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  14. story97

story97 Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's what I would do if I were you.

First, I'd go here and determine my IP address
    http://whatsmyip.org/

It will show the IP you have in giant numbers at the top of the page.

Then, go here:
    http://www.dnsstuff.com/

There's an option that should be the third in the list "Reverse DNS Lookup"

Paste that IP into that box. You'll see a result similar to this: (I did it with a mail server so you can see the result)

How I am searching:
    Asking e.root-servers.net for 33.161.34.64.in-addr.arpa PTR record:
    e.root-servers.net says to go to chia.arin.net. (zone: 64.in-addr.arpa.)
    Asking chia.arin.net. for 33.161.34.64.in-addr.arpa PTR record:
    chia.arin.net [192.5.6.32] says to go to ns2.peer1.net. (zone: 34.64.in-addr.arpa.)
    Asking ns2.peer1.net. for 33.161.34.64.in-addr.arpa PTR record:
    ns2.peer1.net [69.90.13.6] says to go to ns1.serverbeach.com. (zone: 161.34.64.in-addr.arpa.)
    Asking ns1.serverbeach.com. for 33.161.34.64.in-addr.arpa PTR record: Reports mail2.e-places.net. [from 66.139.72.5]

The bold part is all you care about. it tells you the hostname for that IP address.

Next, you'll need to evaluate that result. You're probably going to see something like this:
    adsl-33-32-33-33.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net

I changed it so you can't see the real numbers. BUt yours will look something like that. The first part is the IP address (33-32-33-33). So what you want to do, is copy everything AFTER that. So this: dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net

That is the hostname that your ISP uses for the CITY you are in. So all IPs you get will have that on the end of them. It means in this case "DSL in Little Rock Arkansas for SBC Global.net" If you don't understand where to cut it, respond with your result (but replace the numbers with Xs so you dont give out your IP) and I'll show you what part you want.

Then, take that and go to google analytics. click on 'edit' for the site, then click on 'filters' then click 'add filter'.

In the drop down the default should be 'Exclude all traffic from a domain' which is correct. Then paste the remaining hostname in the box. (of course name the filter).

So you'll paste in your version of this: dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net

Now, once that's done, google will ignore any traffic coming in from your local area. in big cities they'll break it up even more. So you might want to just do as I recommended and paste in the hostname you see as a result, and replace the numbers with x's for security. then I'll show you what to use.

Now, this isn't fail safe, it's going to block everyone in your range, but when you consider the entire internet, losing traffic hits from your neighborhood is a pretty small issue.

Also, as mentioned you can call your provider and ask for a static IP, but you're going to find it will require you to upgrade to a business account in almost all situations will be a substantial increase for something so small of a problem. it makes more sense to do this than change your entire ISP package

story97, Oct 21, 2007 IP
    buffalo likes this.
  15. buffalo

Best Answers:
    Wow, story97! Great reply!! Thanks.

But here is my problem. :eek: I am in a small town, and I live in a pretty remote area. The city for my ISP is not only about a 6 hour drive away, but it's in a different state. :eek: So I would not only be wiping out the traffic from my neighborhood, but half of my state and part of the next one too... :eek:

And you are right about it not being worth changing my entire ISP package...

buffalo, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  16. IEmailer.com

IEmailer.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try to use a proxy service all the time you are visiting your website by this way you will get a static IP address the same IP every time which is the IP of that proxying website used to visit your website, Then filter that IP address in your Google analytics, this way is better than getting a new static IP address from your local ISP or even filtering a range of sub domains as mentioned by story97 what i have to say it's a grate post, anyhow here is a free proxying service website:
    http://www.ratdubai.com
    it's good fast but it needs registration, don't worry it's FREE :)

IEmailer.com, Oct 22, 2007 IP
    RichUser likes this.
  17. buffalo

Best Answers:
    That sounds like a good idea too! Thanks. :D

buffalo, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  18. leandar

Best Answers:
    its against adsense TOS if your site get more impressions from proxy site , ( that will effect only if you using Adsense on that site )

leandar, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  19. story97

story97 Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't even imaging degrading my internet access speeds by using a proxy for simply not recording my hits.

And Think about this buffalo. if you only block to the last octet of your IP the MAXIMUM number of people you're not counting is 255. Unless your website gets almost no traffic, and the traffic it does get is almost exclusively from the same exact node your home is on, it won't make any difference.

Also, there's very little chance that the nodes for your ISP cover 25 miles and more. Infact, I would be extremely suprised.

If you block your hostname I think you'll find it's acceptable.

story97, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  20. IEmailer.com

IEmailer.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah that's right... but no body is discussing Adsense inhere !!!
    BTW you can remove the scripts while browsing using that proxy website.

IEmailer.com, Oct 22, 2007 IP