1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Spammer - can someone explain me why they do it ?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Zhu, Oct 19, 2007.

Hi folks,

Just a question I thought SEO genius may be able to answer here :)

Since I moved my blog to self-hosted WordPress, I get a lot of spam. Fortunately, so far all the bad messages are blocked by Akismet, a really useful tool.

However, what I don't understand is the nature of the spam. I get a few ones like that (I put X so that I don't myself spam the forum :p):

Obviously trying to advertise their product.

But I also got a lot of spam like that :

What was that??? I got like 30 spams like that since yesterday night. All one word, random letters.

Why would you spam a blog/ website with that kind of non-sense ?

Zhu, Oct 19, 2007 IP
  2. thunderbolt007

thunderbolt007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You mean a comments spam on your blog?...:confused:

You can moderate your blog.... moderation a blog can help remove spam posts on comments..:p

thunderbolt007, Oct 19, 2007 IP
  3. Zhu

Zhu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, these were comments spam I receive on my blog. They are not really a problem for me because as I said, they are blocked by Akismet.

I was just curious to know why they would spam comments with random words - or rather random strings of letters... doesn't make any sense to me.

Zhu, Oct 19, 2007 IP
  4. bomberman

bomberman Peon

Best Answers:
    Sapmming is also a one way of spreading their keywords so that it will rank faster...

bomberman, Oct 19, 2007 IP
  5. Zhu

Zhu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But can these keywords be random letters ? Like "ljkhsgysyuiutt" ? :confused:

Zhu, Oct 19, 2007 IP
  6. Ryanol

Ryanol Peon

Best Answers:
    as for the first type... the same reason as spam email...they know that 1 in 1 million will fall for it. People are suckers

The problem is that sending 1 million costs relatively little (the cost of the zombie pcs) and developing the automated software to send it.

The second type I don't know why...maybe simply to gain information so that they can figure out how to better beat the filters.

maybe the randomness is so that a spammer can brag when selling his services...."hey go out and search ljkhsgysyuiutt ...those are all mine"

Ryanol, Oct 19, 2007 IP
  7. Alexander the Great

Alexander the Great Peon

Best Answers:
    Three reasons.

1. You'll click the link out of curiosity. A small enough % times a spam blitz can be profitable.
    2. If even just a few bloggers hit "not spam" and whitelist them, they'll get through in the future
    3. Lots of blogs aren't moderated, and don't have spam filters

They aren't spamdexing, they're spamming for traffic.

Alexander the Great, Oct 19, 2007 IP