1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Microsoft is dead!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by anthonycea, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    M$ is having real problems with security, now they have a marketplace problem also.

Microsoft is on the losing end of the public relations battle at this time and things are not getting any better with the flawed OS and the flawed SP2 patch.

Now the UK government is giving it's approval to the open source movement.

Can we all shed a tear together right now for Microsoft?

When I say 3, please start crying, 1, 2, .................... :confused:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9590_22-5430998.html?tag=zdnn.alert

Go MAC, GO Linux, Go Grid Computing, Go IBM :D :eek: ;)

anthonycea, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  2. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    I knew, as soon as I saw the title in the "Recent Forum Topics" of the KWTracker that it was your post Anthony. Certainly your M.O. :D

So you gone over to your OpenSource desktop yet? Macs are nice, new G5 has astounding performance by all accounts, but what about Linux desktop? You got the SP on it yet to convince me to go to non M$ and deprive Trey of his next billion?

Lever, Oct 28, 2004 IP
    mushroom likes this.
  3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Novell is working on a Linux based desktop right now and it will make Linux based desktop acceptable to the consumer base out there.

It is just a matter of time before M$ market share falls below 50% and they know that.

This is why Steve Balmer came out and said that we need a $100.00 PC.

That would be great, when your Microsoft box gets infected with spyware and viruses just throw it out and buy a new disposable Microsoft box, sort of like a lighter when it runs out of gas.

Microsoft always has the best ideas to hang on to market share, to bad they do not care for data security.

4. vauge

vauge Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I work at very large semiconductor company. Microsoft is here to stay.
    Unfortunatly. It is a Miricle-Whip/Manayse(sp) thing. Miricle-Whip clearly blasts the competitors away, but some folks refuse to buy it based on name association.

On the other hand, linux (with the advent of wine) - is turning the market on it's head because we can do alot more on a Linux box for cheaper now.

Are you refering to Suse?

vauge, Oct 28, 2004 IP
    mushroom likes this.
  5. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Microsoft is where to stay?

Do you think they can maintain a 90% market share?

If you do you better wake up from your daydream and accept reality.

Do you have any reasons that you can post on how they will keep a 90% market share much longer?

Maybe they will import computers from China, put windows on them and sell them at 7 Eleven.

Do you think that might be their plan? :)

6. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Dude!! what an idea. (but if you did that, wouldn't 7-11 become a mini-walmart?)

5 years from now we will be buying our $50 laptops from the corner mini-walmarts which will come with google desktop or for $20 more get mini-MS desktop.

:D

debunked, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  7. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    If people will buy Ford Pintos and Firestone Tires they will buy Microsoft Windows also.

That does not mean the products are any good. :mad:

8. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    hey, pintos make great cheap racecars for the dirt tracks!

But nader only made my VW worth more by saying how dangerous they are there are less around and demand is up. LOL

debunked, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  9. daamsie

daamsie Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't really see Microsoft dying a quick death (although I wish it did). I do see a lot of bad vibes about mainly from people sick of all the adware and viruses that seem to be part and parcel with a Winblows installation. I think their marketshare has hit its peak though and will continue to slowly lose ground. People are becoming more cluey and as soon as big corporations / government organistaions start preferring Linux boxes, that will make a big difference. At the same time, Macs will continue to appeal to younger audiences who already have an iPod to get them accustomed to REAL quality product design that doesn't disintegrate within two years.

But what can I say, I'm a die-hard Mac user these days and perhaps am slightly biased. ;) I own a PC, but darned it it isn't an ugly piece of work!! And that was the nicest looking tailor made 'box' I could find!

At the same time, I think we Mac users benefit to some extent from Microsoft's popularity - a low marketshare means less virus / adware writers willing to spend time hacking your system.

daamsie, Oct 28, 2004 IP
    mushroom likes this.
  10. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Daamsie, you make a lot of great points, Microsoft made a giant blunder by not offering a secure IE browser to all windows users.

They are forcing all windows users to upgrade to XP to get the latest flawed IE browser. Pay them $99.00 to upgrade to XP or you get no support for your windows OS and no IE browser updates.

Why should anyone even buy a Windows PC as their next computer?

They have made a joke out of the OS and the browser.

There will be a run on MAC's because of M$ incompetence.

Even SP2 has a lot of holes in it and they will just offer more and more patches that will have even more holes in them.

11. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought the title trying to tell that bill is dead :)

seriously all your points against MS is valid but its not real. MS will continue to dominate the OS market, why? it dominates the masses, companies and governments.

Why should I buy a MAC if I dont know how to use it? Most schools use windows for teaching.

Why should I not buy Windows PC if my favorite games is only for windows platform?

Why should my company shift to linux desktop if my employees dont know how to use them? If I do this I have to train my employees and junk my existing upgrade agreement with MS. (This are huge costs)

Security will always be an issue. Windows is the most popular OS in the world, if I want my virus to be popular I'll choose it as a target. If ill create an spyware I'll make sure it is windows compatible (I won't care about the rest)

I dont like my PC either but I have no other choice :)

melfan, Oct 28, 2004 IP
    mushroom likes this.
  12. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    and the reverse of that...

why would I teach students to use a mac, when most of the world uses windows

why would I design a game solely for a competing OS (or use the resources to create an alternative at all)

I prefer Macs, but the majority of the public just doesn't know.

schlottke, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  13. daamsie

daamsie Peon

Best Answers:
    You guys are right. MS is around for a long time to come. The fact that it is taught in schools makes a BIG difference. Even so, I think slowly people will move away from them to some degree.

For starters, there are a lot of developing countries out there that can do with lower setup costs - Linux offers that.

Secondly, you make the valid point that a lot of games aren't available for Macs - but there are also a lot of programs that aren't available for PCs! I needed a Mac, because there is simply no good competition for FCP on a PC. A Mac comes with things like iPhoto and iDVD thrown in. DVD Studio Pro is another one you won't find on a PC, and is reason enough to be on a Mac. Plus, in the design/advertising business, looks are everything and PCs just aren't sexy enough.

I think the adware, etc.. does have a serious effect too. There are a lot of parents out there who are very pissed off about the trash their kids are confronted with on their computers. I wouldn't put a PC in front of a little kid unless I knew that PC was squeeky clean. If I was a parent, I simply wouldn't bother getting a PC to start with.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. It really doesn't bother me much either way. I'm happy with my Apple and as long as the company stays alive and innovative so I can keep buying their products, I don't really care about their competitors ;)

btw. anyone had a look at those new iPod Photo's ?? :)

daamsie, Oct 29, 2004 IP
  14. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Trey does have the majority of us by the short and curlies - My last PC purchase meant I had to accept WinME as my OS. I then HAD to upgrade from Win ME to XP because ME was such a poor OS. Then XP made some old software incompatible so more (un)necessary upgrades ensued. THEN this jpeg virus became the next '45 minutes' threat so SP2 was called in...

FireFox is gunning for 10% of the browser market and it will probably happen (unless BG just copies it like he did with "Xerox Windows") with Thunderbird as its partner email client, and maybe OpenOffice could be the replacement office suite??? These could all go on a linux desktop and M$ would start losing out...

It's not that we have no other choice, just that currently other options are complicated, expensive, not for the masses etc... This can be changed but it will take some time.

Am I doing this? No, just FireFox for now. Am I considering doing all the above. Yes. The tools are there, the will is there.... one step at a time.

Lever, Oct 29, 2004 IP
  15. vauge

vauge Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes and no respectfully.

Yes - Here to stay:
    Again, what I was refering to - many many many people will always buy and use Microsoft. Based on name alone! Thier HIGH END level support structure is unmached. For targeted corporate business.

Market share:
    Ret Hat is finally coming into market and "Enterprise" has a sweet solution that large companies are looking for. It's cheaper and easier to maintain on server basis. Plus, Viris's are not as welcome in a Linux enviorment. Microsoft is starting to feel the heat already.

Desktop
    Microsoft is here and here to stay with the mainsteam market. Name association and the 'feel' of windows is unsurpassed. When someone says they just bought a PC there are 2 questions. 1. What type 2. Speed
    Windows XP is assumed. :rolleyes:

When "wine" is mature enough to handle all of microsoft's software - Microsoft's share will fall dramatically. That is until they create a Linux version of thier own.

vauge, Oct 29, 2004 IP
  16. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    So shall we change the title to "When will MS die?" :)

melfan, Oct 29, 2004 IP
  17. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    To me they are dead, I will never buy another M$ product again, can we all start crying, ready on 3.

1, 2, ............... :confused:

Sorry 3 :) ;) :D

anthonycea, Oct 29, 2004 IP
  18. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm... so far no evidence of the rumored death of Microsoft OR the rumored run on MACs... :eek:

goto Square1
    for time=1 to Nth
    print "no matter how many times you proclaim it, Microsoft is NOT dead"
    next time
    goto Square1

minstrel, Oct 29, 2004 IP
  19. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Oh they are dead, Uncle Fester is a member of the "Adams Family" Minstrel :eek:

anthonycea, Oct 29, 2004 IP
  20. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Revised:

Square1:
    if member=blindtoreality then goto Square0
    for time=1 to Nth
    print "no matter how many times you proclaim it, Microsoft is NOT dead"
    next time
    goto Square1

Square0:for time=1 to Nth