1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

130 clicks in 1 day, no $$ -- is something wrong with my site?

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by LongHaul, Oct 15, 2007.

Yesterday a link to my site got mentioned on a high-traffic page, and I got several hundred unique visitors. They clicked my CJ advertiser 130 times, according to CJ. The CTR was very good, too.

But no leads or sales. And the link is just a free trial (though credit card is required). I figured at least somebody woulda signed up, it's a really popular streaming/mp3 site!

My site is music-nerds.com and the specific page everyone went to is here.

I also wondered if something could be lagging behind re: the reporting between Rhapsody and CJ? I assumed if the clicks were shown on my user page, any leads would be too. Could one be behind the other?

Anything oviously wrong with the page/site as it is now? (I know the header sorta sucks, I'll be reworking it a little soon.)

LongHaul, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  2. tvmatt

tvmatt Peon

Best Answers:
    There's no call to action, really... people are clicking the Rhapsody link to hear a stream of the album. If Rhapsody reports data through batch transfers, that could explain a delay - but most likely, it's the way that you're linking & calling it "Stream".

tvmatt, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  3. LongHaul

LongHaul Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting, thanks.

I just added a little notice that says "Click for a free 14-day trial" so they know they have to sign up for something. Maybe Rhapsody just sucks as an affiliate, but I know some people have luck with it. Seems like my site would do it, but not yet...

4. DealWorx

DealWorx Peon

Best Answers:
    The credit card offers really turn folks off unfortunately. Though 130 clicks is a small sampling at this point.

DealWorx, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  5. LongHaul

LongHaul Peon

Best Answers:
    That bad? I would have hoped for a few signups in a 130-click sample...

6. affi-daffy

affi-daffy Peon

Best Answers:
    i havent heard about anything like that.But its always great to have traffic though.Or may be somebody whats you to get banned.You know the bad stuff.

affi-daffy, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  7. LongHaul

LongHaul Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, 45 more clicks today so far, with the notice about signing up, and still nothing. The CTR went down, so maybe I did get rid of some uselss clicks, but...

It's bad enough that I keep thinking something must be off with the reporting. Approachng 200 clicks and nothing?!

Any other comments about the site? The layout, navigation, content?

8. bikerboys

bikerboys Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yeah i dont understand it all either

bikerboys, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  9. DealWorx

DealWorx Peon

Best Answers:
    130 click sample is not enough to be worried about. I would say, depending on the offers you are advertising, 500-1000 without a single signup then pull things and figure out what could be wrong. I might do it a little earlier if you are doing purely PPC.

DealWorx, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  10. jonixkonios

jonixkonios Peon

Best Answers:
    Many sales are only reported by the advertisers after a few days, it's not on the same day, that's very rare. It could be the case

jonixkonios, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  11. LongHaul

LongHaul Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not PPC at all, all free traffic. What's weird is that I got nothing from any of the links on the site, CJ or Amazon -- even AdSense got like 2000 impressions and $0. I did get $.20 from iTunes :rolleyes:

I'll give it some more time, but if the numbers are going to be that low I'll really need to work on traffic and content! Which I've been doing, like a dog.

I keep hoping that! Still nothing though.

At any rate, the lesson here is not to give up. The site is good and becoming more and more popular pretty quickly, so I'll just keep at it...

(and while we're at it, can someone check if the RSS feeds are working ok? I have two, a general site one and a podcast one. I'm pretty sure some people subscribed to the podcast one, but I put a new show up yesterday and according to awstats, no one has d/led it.)

LongHaul, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  12. jonixkonios

jonixkonios Peon

Best Answers:
    I had a site with 8.950+ clicks, without a sale, in just one day. I found that the traffic liked the niche, but they wasn't buyers, so it was useless the clicks.

The kind of traffic received that clicks your affiliate links it's very very important, and if no sales/convertions appear in your account, that means you've the wrong type of target traffic.

jonixkonios, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  13. LongHaul

LongHaul Peon

Best Answers:
    Guess I gotta figure that out then.

Did you turn that site around? What happened? Why weren't they buyers?

LongHaul, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  14. jonixkonios

jonixkonios Peon

Best Answers:
    I changed a little of the site to focus more on the "buy niche_keyword". After that, my traffic went down to half, but the clicks/convertion went up to a very good number.

my old traffic was more like "i want just to know about niche_keyword", and the new traffic was "i want to know more and buy niche_keyword".

(niche_keyword = the niche of the site, that i don't want to reveal)

LongHaul likes this.
  15. LongHaul

LongHaul Peon

Best Answers:
    So you changed your PPC ads' wording to target your visitors better? (Or were you getting traffic somewhere else?)

LongHaul, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  16. jonixkonios

jonixkonios Peon

Best Answers:
    no, i don't use ppc, i believe in free things, like free information. I just changed the seo of the site to go arround the "buy niche_keyword". After some days and some reindexing, the traffic changed.