1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

So what's happened to bidding directories?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by The Pheonix, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Best Answers:
    Funny how your search and mine come up with different results then huh. If you look at some of the top bidding directories and use the keywords that the site owner that is on that site chose on those directories to target. Then do a search, you will see that not only do regular directories show up, but also bidding directories. Same goes with what I states about checking the backlinks for the sites. That is what is fact, and not your opinion. which is exactally what that is an opinion, and no where close to 2/3 of the rest of the directory community.

Guardian, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  2. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Say I looked for artists, I would type in 'Artists' now look at the results http://www.google.com/search?q=artists&hl=en&start=10&sa=N normal directories show up pretty good, especially niche ones don't see any bidding directories showing anything which is down to one of three things. A. There aren't any niche Art bidding directories, possibly, B, they don't get listed as its still a new thing, or C, people simply won't post to bidding directories because they are a waste of money if you got to keep paying to keep your listing near the top.

I could show you ten thousand examples like this but one was enough to make my point at the moment. If it does change then that's great for the bidding directory owner (the serious one's of course) but until then I do have a pretty strong argument, or maybe you disagree?

I'm not out to undermine btw, I'm out to prove a point, for people who have invested a small fortune I honestly want you to succeed, I'm not evil to think bad. I just don't like the concept not the owners I have no issues with them. :) Or you for that matter.

The Pheonix, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  3. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    Is that a valid comparison considering the relative new ness of the bidding directory ?

Only time will tell

centime, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  4. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Of course its valid, these bidding farms have been around about a year now haven't they? But I do agree with you, time will tell. :)

The Pheonix, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  5. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know i sent a Pm re a bid directory is not gambling, but i would like to prvide FACT to this arguement to lay it to rest and to cover the thoughts above.

OK having spent many years in the gambling scene as a programmer and working with pro gamblers who spend phone numbers i put forward the following.

It seems the only real arguement that a bid directory is a gamble is that " You are not guranteed top position and or any position" and in that this must be gambling.

To look at that to start with, that statement is made up or put forward without it even being a question in the first place.

Not anywhere on any bid directory that i know of does anyone claim that it does offer a guaranteed postion nor do they make mention of it, so where and how the the non guarantee comes into play as an issue i am not sure, and is nothing more than a fabricated smoke screen for those who little on the subject.

But wait there is more

To futher put beyond any doubt that a bid directory id NOT gambling i put forward the following challenge to anyone to answer who insists they are

In that a bid directory does not make claims of guarantees but simply more than often puts forward bid for position as the general concept you then look at the concept.

So lets say currently before i submit there are 10 top listings as below

$100
    $90
    $80
    $70

and so on down to $10

Now i wish to submit my site based on the principle of bid for position as it is correctly stated, and lets say i want to spend $95, this will put me into the number two spot

at this point it not a gamble but a 100% certainty that with my submission i will at that point land in that spot.

For those that want to challenge this please find me one bookmaker any where in the world that would give you a bet / odds on that subscription not landing in that spot

There would not be one who will give you 2/1 odds, 3/1 odds or any odds, why its not a gamble where the outcome will be it a known outcome.

Now as with the system of bid for position, yes some one may come along and bid for a higher position but even that is not a gamble or gambling as it part of the concept where everyone can bid for position.

The only way this concept could become a gamble if that would be if the bid amounts were hidden and you had to guess what to pay for a position, then a bookmaker would probably give you some odds on where you would land.

Like mentioned above for those still insisting its gambling just go and find one bookmaker in the world that will give you odds on it. you simply wont and end of that story, in that if you cant find me a bookmaker to give me odds on my outcome when i submit or raise my bid then i can't place a bet, if i can't place a bet i can't gamble.

Now further to the comments above, once again not personal but in looking at the staement.

In essence "a waste of maney if you have to keep paying", That concept or thought holds little or no water.

We keep paying if we subscribe to other paid directories, but more so to that lets look mainstream.

In a news paper if i want my ad to be prominent i would pay a premium to list my ad on the front page, in TV i would pay a premium to list my ad at 6 o clock when the news run and so on.

But guess what i cant just pay once and have it run forever the business does not work like that, for me to continue to use that prime position i keep paying, there is nothing wrong with that and is what is expected.

The very same principles in theory apply to a bid directory, where people get confused is the less informed try and tell people they are paying for link and will banter that line but it is the only song they know.

For the more informed and the correct application and use of a bid directory is you dont pay for the link when updating your bid and nor has it been stated that you are, you are paying for the exposure in exactly the same way as the television or newspaper.

I can go to many bid directories and click on the most hits, and without fail most top hits relate directly to the top listing in each catagory or in terms those most exposed.

In that they work the same as the paper, an ad on the front page would get more calls than one buried in the back pages for a similar type business.

To further debunk the bid directory bad vibes is these directories ( the good operators, many kids have no idea ), they re invest those $ into heavy promotion probably far exeeding a normal directory, in the same way a paper will promote to increase its circulation.

So when its all broken down a good position in a good bid directory is some of the best money spent online to promote not only directories but any business.

The last pointer i will throw in is that some may think its expensive but lets say i use a good bid directory and each week part of my promotional $ was allocated to that section i might spend $ 10 a week ( or any amount ) its low cost but what happens over time is i rise through the rankings with no real or added pressure that works with my planning.

The end result a very good system that should not be over looked as part of your overall campign.

DownUnder, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  6. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes you did p.m me, here's exactly what you said. Yours is th bold text.

The same applies to any spot btw; the only time its not a gamble is when you don't lose the place you paid for. No ifs or buts. Crikey its even a gamble in Google whether you keep number one spot with them, but at least you don't have to pay to regain it you can do that by finding out why you lost your serp then working on regaining it.

Look at ANY definition on the planet on bidding and whether its a gamble, go ask a Lawyer or a Businessman an auctioneer, if something is not guaranteed its a flippin Gamble. Jeeze, its like talking to a brick wall. :confused:

The Pheonix, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  7. DownUnder

Best Answers:
    First, i find it extremly rude to quote a PM, however in that you post is not holding any weight , you replied with that statement i replied you are correct in that you were not gauranteed a spot regardless. I discussed this in my post, the arguement of guaranteeing any spot is not noted in any directory the question itself is null and void. Unless you can point me to any bid directory that staes or makes these claims.

mate i find it funny the lenghts you will go to to, but in that

show me one bookie that will give me odds, not 100 but just one and you can have open source to any bookie on the globe, until that happens i can not bet on the outcome, if i cant bet i cant gamble. you may proceed to waffle on as much as you like but cover this of before snapping crap on these forums.

not in the content of the PM but the mere fact of posting it drops you a few levels in my eyes, a very bad and poor decision, that most people would not stoop as low as that, but alas any arguement you may have had has been dispelled.

and although i have been polite with your rude replies perhaps i can suggest until you can disprove anything i have said you may want to take some of your own advice and give others the chance to reply

very disgusted in your behavior, and please do not tell me you are a professional at anything, you simply have no morrals. and yes on a personal level you are way over the line with your post.

I will refrain from pulling the rest of your posts apart as i have no time for it and will move on and wil chat in regards positve outcomes.

8. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    so my new (not even 2 months) biding directory come first in g for keywords like:
    add link germany http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=add+link+germany
    add link england http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=add+link+england
    add link italy http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=add+link+italy
    europe directory 2nd page in com http://www.google.com/search?q=europe+directory&hl=en&pwst=1&start=10&sa=N
    first page in regional g in europe http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLJ_enGR220GR220&q=europe+directory
    and for many other keywords /terms that should be rank good.
    what you have to say about this?
    also i have daily visits of 16 SE spiders in this directory but in my other old established sites i have 6 to 10 spiders daily.
    G have no problems with biding directories IMO

scoobby, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  9. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    LOL; Sorry but I find it quite hilarious here. Tell me who on earth is going to search add link germany (All your examples are the same BTW)? Talk REAL terms, German directories, german directory listings, etc, are you in any of those 'REAL WORLD' type keywords? I doubt it, but if you are great, it shows that Google don't mind them which to me is fantastic, I still wouldn't touch them with a barge pole but hey that's my preference. :)

Do some REAL WORD keyword searches like I did, not stupid ones like you chose, apart from bidding directory owners or PR chasers (and I don't think even they would type in the selection you did?) then come back to me with results. Sorry, nice try but still not convinced.

@Downunder;Don't say one thing in p.m and then another in open forum totally disputing what you conceded to then as it makes me out to be a liar when its you who reversed on your words.

Point of fact is bidding is gambling, END OF. I really think we need to move on with this one as your not going to change your mind and I'm most certainly not going to change mine, if I do the dictionaries of this world would all have to change the definition of Gambling. :rolleyes:

10. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    u didnt notice this??? !EUROPE DIRECTORY!rank for also this keyphrase
    also u didnt notice the spiders and the daily visit???
    r u in denial or u see some friend of yours or a guy that was cooperate with you making money from this story of bidding directories and u r trying to hurt him???
    eitherway i dont care.i have to sugest u the following:
    I dare you to tell me a KEYPHRASE related to my directory and if i rank in first page in Google you will go and add a revelant site to my directory for this keyphrase and pay for it. r u in??????
    lets see...
    u want german directories? i believe in 1 week or mostly one month i will rank in first pages of G.

scoobby, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  11. DownUnder

Best Answers:
    Can you point to me where i called you a liar ? can you show me what i conceeded to ? can you show me where i reversed my words ?

Now i am guessing not only with you mis using a function on this forum you intend saving face.

So lets see i wrote to you quietly stating why a bid directory was not gambling, you replied back ( as everyone has seen ) nd i replied you are correct 100% with your reply

It does not guarantee a 100% top spot or any spot if you want to add, and your statement at the end said so it must be gambling

now if you read the last part as also agreeing with that fact after i had told you why it wasnt thats fine , but id guess most people can see what was ment and your once again manipultion of everything around you.

Champ, ( never mind lets say its not positive ) your respect in my eyes has dropped to below 0, it is people like you who spoil this forum for all.

Ibn Juferi likes this.
  12. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Arguing about wether or not a bid directory is 'gambling' is an impossible arguement to win for either side because what you really end up arguing about is the definition of gambling. Many would say if there is any 'risk' involved in the outcome that makes it gambling and others argue you must be at risk of losing your entire investment or bet. No one will ever win this debate.

jg123, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  13. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Which is why I posted
    @Scoobby;I didn't see Europe directories to be honest with you but I would again say who is going to type in Europe directories? Although your point is taken that now you seem to be getting somewhere even if it bad grammer, a normal person would type european directories but that's me being picky and English. I'll take you up on your challenge, see if you can get Car Dealers in Europe listed in your bidding directory, you do that in the time you suggest you can and in a good serps I'll happily place a listing in your link farm. :)

14. DownUnder

Best Answers:
    we can agree on that but one question please, can you just quietly point to where i called you a liar ?

you don't call me than walk away with a statement like that.

15. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    please specify something that my directory represents...i cant optimize a page of my directory for something is not related and not going to help any one that will be searching in g for that keyphrase.
    or you sugest a single link in my directory get to the first page of G for a kephrase with 19,400,000??that will be difficult for sure!and it wont cost anyone 1$ that i am asking at least.u know the 1$ is almost nothing and with that we protect all these spamers and crazy and weird submissions that represent the 90% of free directories.

What do u say to optimize a page for the keyword link farm that u mention above:rolleyes:

scoobby, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  16. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    So you claim there is no difference between a normal directory and a bidding directory, but when I suggest a quite legitimate listing I'd expect to find in a standard directory you tell me that your directory doesnt represent it? A good directory should in theory be able to rank highly for ANY keywords or categories shouldn't it?
    You boasted about Europe directory as a keyphrase, it has this result Results 21 - 30 of about 105,000,000 for EUROPE DIRECTORY. (0.08 seconds)
    My challenge to you was far easier than this?

17. DownUnder

Best Answers:
    Pheonix, please do not ignore my post and answer it please, you have not only disrespected all forum / internet rules you have called on a public forum that i have called you a liar ?

I need you to justify these claims or appologise not walk away from them.

18. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    just to keep you happy downunder. :rolleyes: you send me a p.m saying you agree 100% that bidding IS gambling, then you come back on to open forum giving war and peace where you now say it isn't! READ text, you'll see that I never said you actually called me a liar....

"...Don't say one thing in p.m and then another in open forum totally disputing what you conceded to then as it makes me out to be a liar"...

Your contradiction fom 100% agreement inferred I was, that was the point I was making. As for tearing my posts apart, now I am intimidated.

Rule one, never try to change the definition of a FACT, they can't be changed. You and others say it's me that's twisting things? huh, where do you get that from. Bidding = Gambling, FACT, I haven't twisted anything YOU HAVE trying to say it isn't using rediculous scenarious, we're not bookies here wer'e talking about directories. :rolleyes:

The Pheonix, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  19. DownUnder

Best Answers:
    OK pheonix that is your best response, and once again you seem to be confusing the issues.

So i will be real clear with you, you have taken a part pm to you that did not indicate you were correct that it was gambling the statement you wish to take out of context is one 100% agreeing with you in regard to you are not guranteed a position. you have added the rest of the comment now to suit your twisted and deceptive words.

as i continued to state in that post that no bid directory uses those terms nor are promoted in that way, now how you seem to be inclined to think, twist or manipulate i am not sure.

second to that i still see no where where i called you a liar, the post i made had no reference to people and or you, but you replied in the worst way possible.

So lets see from posts you are here to expose the flaws with bid directories amongst other things in general terms from your posts. please correct me if i am wrong

the main focus of those flaws in your eyes are that a bid directory is gambling and that you are not guarnteed a top and or any position. once again please correct me if i am wrong.

I then quietly sent you an pm explaining why it was not gambling, some thing i did not hide in my post as i had no secrets. feel free to correct me again

i replied to a section of your post covering your quote regarding the topic of people wasting thier money because you had to keep paying please correct me if am wrong

now up until this point everything is good, the great pheonix was having his say to save the world from bidding directories.

But as soon as some one posts valid and concrete arguement that dispells all of the scare mongering you break into a personl and unprofessional attack as some last ditch efort to justify your purpose and well being.

Please note my post was honest up front and attacked the issues and directed at people, a skill you seem to lack

So lets look again in breif, your first part to your claim to fame is you are not guaranteed a spot.

and this is the part where you broke all forum / internet unwritten laws, not because of what you posted i am not concerned with that, but the fact or the principle of what you done. and i will cover this of shortly

I explained in the post that supporting the arguement of it does not guarantee a top spot is bogus and fabricated and simply used by scare mongerers, and to support this i have asked simply for you or anyone to show me any directory who states you will be guanteed a spot, you simply wont, nor do they pertain to do so, they are a bid for position type function

This dispells myth number 1, and i await you to disprove this myth or perhaps you may like to provide a new twist on your line, once again i may be wrong with your line and if so clearly state it is that you wish to put forward.

Second and main part of your fabricated scare mongering is that its gambling, and once again in my post i made no reference to you but chose to speak on the topic and provide fact.

the facts are simple in that if a can not place a bet on the outcome then how can i gamble.

Now regardless of who you need to ask was it the laywer account , hell throw in the butcher, baker and candle stick maker as well, ask them this if i cant place a bet on an outcome is it gambling ?

I have asked you to find me one bookie who will take a bet on that outcome and simple facts are you will not

SO where does that leave us? well you use term gamble in a sense or portrayed as gammbling with money, but as soon as i want to use money to gamble on it i cant

So now you use this is gamble in its improper form and at best used in a similar way in terms like if you start a business its a gamble, if you fly in a plane its a gamble and many other variants.

this really does squash any real efforts by you to go down that path but once again i am sure you will twist these words. in a last ditch effort to discredit the bid directory, but why a general, neiche or any other directory is not your target i am not sure.

Now in your desire to continue with your war on bid directories you made a fatal error, and in that you broke all grounds of internets unwriiten rules, and then continued with your only source and that was a public attack on a person and not the issue.

In doing so you claimed that i called you a liar, your last confusing post seems to try and waffle out of this exercise but like many of your posts it was once again jibberish rubbish. that you can freely continue to peddle for those that see any merit in your posts.

Now i will write this part slowly for you, so please take the time to digest it.

By commiting to and partaking in one othe internets sins you have shown your true characture, you morrals, your business ethic and your actions have shown me that you have none of these qualities.

and in that you made some last ditch wild accustations in regards myself.

At that point i asked myself what the, i am here to help learn and enjoy i do not need this crap, but no this business means a lot to me and i plan to share and enjoy and people like you will not deter me.

I am very glad you made a post about peoples ethics and beig open about who they are because your details your work and any company you represent need to be flagged as questionable to say the very least, and i must ask myself why would i let myself become involved with people who act in such a manner and run risk or ruin by even being involved with them, and quite simply i wont be.

Further to the stupid nonbased attack on bid directories where you can not answer basic questions put forward with resorting to personally attacking people, using me as your scape goat, so here is some news for you.

In attacking me personally you have crossed the line on a personal and business level

Our company ( yes fully registered and listed company ) has been built over many years, my personal sales stretch back 30 years , in that time i still have my first customers, i have very personal high levels of trust, i have never stood on any one, never told crap to a customer, never sold a dodgey product, and in that my personal view is that my word, honestly and genuine hard work are the keys and the backbone and are worth more than any money can buy.

But you cheaply seem that you can get on an internet and falsy accuse me of something that is core to me is a joke that i will let you walk away with or tread all over me and my company.

we have over many years a very large group of large companies that work with us in many areas and this stands on a local and international scale.

As mentioned you do not attack the foundations that myself or my company with a few random words blown out of your backside.

Further to that in accordance with your being open policy, i will be submitting your information to our internal system shared by all companies and my stance is simple and it will be to look out for anything you are involved with or touch as i have no intentions of ever dealing with people who have no business ethics.

You are welcome to continue this debate at your own expence but please be advised of a few things, 1. i will never stoop as low as you as to disrespect internet rules and second and most important in making those claims and offering the weak excuse you did in thinking you were playing with school boys, please be aware i will not tolerate any more crap coming my way from you and i wont be laughin about any of it.

please ask your dad about ethics morrals trust and associated subjects in business and thier importance. but then you already know everything don't you.

DownUnder, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  20. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    ok i will acept the chalenge and we see what is going to come for it.allthought it will be very dificult a single link reach the top ten spots that normal and optimized for this keyword sites batling...so i will give it a try....:cool:
    i even linked this thread on the link so if this page ranks for Car Dealers in Europe will be the same ;) yes i am speaking about the Keyphrase CAR DEALERS IN EUROPE

scoobby, Oct 18, 2007 IP
    The Pheonix likes this.